Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Wheezing

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bubbles
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Hi, so recently I got a rabbit. I’ve had him for a few months now and he seems to be doing great.

The only thing I’m worried about is his breathing. I did a little research and found that when rabbits breathe, they do so silently? So we can’t hear them only see their movements?

I was relaxing with my bun a few mins ago and heard his slightly loud breathing, almost like he is wheezing. Should I be worried? Also, i’ve run out of hay for him, so i’ve only been feeding him his pellets and a few fruits/veges until I can buy some tomorrow.

Thank you

• Bam
        16951 posts Send Private Message

A wheezing sound is often from a congested nose, since buns only breathe through their noses. A congested nose can mean he has a “bunny cold”, which is as a rule is bacterial and needs treatment with antibiotics. There can be other causes, but with a suspected bacterial cold, it’s best to see a vet to find out what is going on.

Do you see any discharge from his nose? Any discharge from the eyes or one eye? Is he eating like normal?

• Bubbles
          Participant

Oh, okay. There’s no discharge from his nose or his eyes, which I’m assuming is a good thing? He’s eating fine, although his droppings are somewhat irregular. Some are very tiny, almost black in colour. Some are light brown, large in size and others are strung along together by hair.

There’ll be some food he refuses to eat after a certain while of eating them. For instance, I gave him bok choy leaves the other day and repeated the action a few times, only for him to refuse it when I tried today. He is a fussy eater, only eating pellets or veges and fruits. I try to limit what I give him, but he is always hungry.

• Hazel
            Participant
            2587 posts Send Private Message

I agree, a vet is the best option. I hope he feels better soon!

• Bubbles
              Participant

Ah thank you! 🙂 <3

• DanaNM
                9050 posts Send Private Message

Do you hear the wheezing all the time? Or only when he’s sleeping/very relaxed?

Just checking because Bun Jovi “snores” and the first time I heard it I thought it was wheezing.

With the other symptoms though it would be good to have the vet check him out. I notice you mention you are out of hay, please try to get him hay ASAP. I know with lockdowns things are crazy, but that really is the most important part of his diet. Fruits can cause tummy upset as well as certain veggies. I am guessing that’s why you are seeing weird poops (which are a warning sign that things might be getting out of whack with his digestion).

In a pinch, fresh grass is a better alternative to hay than human veggies, if you can find it in a clean environment (not near roads or sprayed with chemicals, etc.).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bubbles
                  Participant

Only when he is sleeping or dozing. It sometimes is accompanied with what sounds like purring.

I’ve already ordered some hay for him, hopefully it’ll be here soon.

I would let him outside to graze on weeds and other green plants, but it’s Autumn here and the weather hasn’t been kind to us lately, so I’ve been keeping him inside. Thank you 🙂

• Bam
                    16951 posts Send Private Message

If it only is when he is snoozing, it could be snoring. I’d say observe closely. If a bun has a congested nose, youd hear it extra when he is excited or active, for example after running around.

It is normal for buns to want a certain veg very much for a while and then, suddenly, get fed up with it. It is as if they get enough of the particular nutrients in that particular veg- or r if it is some special chemical compound in the plant that their instincts tell them they dont need more of. Wait a week, then offer the same veg again, and the bun, as a rule, will want it again. I’ve seen this very often with my buns and wondered what it’s all about. It’s best if you can rotate greens, and that works best if you buy greens that the humans in the family likes too -that way you dont have to let greens go to waste.

I hope you’ll get your hay soon! As Dana says, it is the most important food for a bun, and it is what keeps the poop round and, ideally, almost golden.

• Bubbles
                      Participant

After he ran up to me honking, he was wheezing and his nose did sound a little stuffy.

Thank you for the advice !! much appreciated.

🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Wheezing