Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit suddenly acting strange then back to normal the next day

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rosie luu
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I was wondering if anyone has experienced sth similar. My baby suddenly didn’t want her usual veggies last night at around 10.30 PM. She just sat there in the corner by her litter box where she never usually sits, and just stares into space. I tried everything—food, treats, fruits, oats, nothing compelled her. She didn’t even want to run around me like she usually does when I come into the room. It was as if sth inside her little soul left her body. She was still responsive, and showed no signs of pain or GI stasis. So I decided to leave her alone for a bit to see what she does. I watched her for 2 hours—she just sat in the same position in a loaf. She still asks for pets but doesn’t groom my hand like she’d do. Sometimes she’d stand up and curled her body as if she’s uncomfortable, but then she’d sit back down again, unfazed. No noise of belly rumbling, and she’d pooped that after noon at 4PM after I changed the litter box.

At 4 AM, I woke up and checked on her. She finally reacted by reaching up to sniff at my finger and after about a minute, FINALLY used the litter box for the first time since 4 PM. The next morning when I woke up at 10, she was running out of her hidy house asking for treats as if nothing happened. Just now at 10 PM, I came in for their nightly veggies and she couldn’t sit still, climbing on my lap and back to usual.

did sth happen to her last night that I wasn’t aware of? Could she be sick in some ways or is this just a sudden burst of inertia? If you’ve had sth similar happen, i’d love some input! Thanks lots!

• LBJ10
        16994 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like a bit of gas to me. Gas pain can manifest in a variety of ways. The stomach does not need to be hard and gurgling sounds do not need to be heard for it to be gas-related.

• Rosie luu
            Participant

it can just go away on its own? I thought these things are deadly and need treatment

• LBJ10
              16994 posts Send Private Message

If it’s just a little bit of gas discomfort, then yes, it can go away on it’s own. Some people will help things along by giving belly rubs and simethicone. Not all “gas pain” is the same in rabbits. They can have a mild upset that resolves within a few hours. Or it can be so bad that it eventually leads to stasis because they stop eating for an extended period of time. The trick is learning how to keep an eye on things and continually reassess the situation for the best course of action.

• New2Rabbits63
              Participant

Hi there.

This exact same ordeal happened with my 2 year old male. I am a first time bunny owner and it was very alarming.

Long story short, we syringed water into him, bugged him to move around a bit.

After 6 hours he was his usual self.

On reflecting back on the whole day, I came to the conclusion I had put him into a state of hyperglycemia.

I had given less than 1 inch of a banana to him earlier that day.

I think it was too much for him. We got him from the Humane Society so had no idea what foods he has had in the past.

Likes and dislikes etc. What environment he was raised in etc.

I more cautious now with any food that has high sugar content.

This has not happened again since so hoping that it never does

• DanaNM
                9047 posts Send Private Message

I agree it sounds like a gas episode. Gas can become severe, but it can also resolve. A good rule of thumb is to start worrying if it doesn’t resolve in a few hours after a tummy rub.

One comment though, you mentioned “no signs of pain”. Not eating and not wanting to run around IS a sign of pain.

I have one bun who is prone to this, so whenever he snubs food I give him a tummy rub and some simethicone right away. Gently encouraging movement is also good. I will also give metacam if I have it because he’s been prescribed it before. He usually perks up within 30 min and is back to normal. This can happen more when they are molting because the fur will slow their digestive tract enough that gas builds up.

Here’s a great video on how to give a tummy rub to a gassy bun:

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit suddenly acting strange then back to normal the next day