Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A One of rabbit’s eye is bulging

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • celzani
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I’m back again for more rabbit queries. This time, my rabbit is mysteriously having a bulging eye. I’ve noticed that sometimes, only one of her eyes will start to bulge for no reason. It seems to be going on and off for a month. There will be times where she will have normal eyes in her socket as well. At first I didn’t think much of it because it would be going away sometimes and coming back other times but it has been going on for some time now and I am getting concerned.

She’s been eating normally, pooping normally, peeing normally, doesn’t seem lethargic, eats well, and does eat a lot of hay. Can’t figure out what’s wrong

Here are my rabbits eyes these past couple weeks:

Any help would be appreciated! 

• Rio and Buns
        Participant
        73 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh, she’s so beautiful and adorable! I love those eyelashes.

Upon doing some googling I’ve read that eye bulging is most commonly caused by abscesses or glaucoma. I’d suggest taking her to the vet to get checked out, especially her teeth as one or a few of them could be overgrown which could cause an abscess. I’m no expert on this though, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

• Nutmeg
          Participant
          594 posts Send Private Message

Does it change eyes? Which one bulges I mean.
            One photo it looks like her right eye and in another it looks like her left.

It could be a few things, like Rio and Buns suggest above, but I also feel its something that needs to be seen by a vet.
            Its good that she is still eating and acting normal though!
            Bring the pictures to show your vet as well.

Good luck with her – she’s ADORABLE.

• Bam
            16940 posts Send Private Message

I agree with the others. Have her seen by a vet and bring the pictures.

This can be caused by several things, but the sooner you get her diagnosed and can start treatment, the better.

We’d be happy for updates!

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

She is just so pretty!

Im not seeing anything too pronounced on those photos, tbh. Its normal to see the eyeball front on, in rabbits, particulary in nethie dwarfs. If anything, it’s almost like her other eye is looking more flat! It could just be the photo though -both look good in that 1st photo.

But you are in the best position to know the difference in her compared to the past.

Is she holding her head a certain way when you notice the eye more? Lowering her head to eat, for instance?

I had a look over your past posts for some history. Is this the bun that is 5yrs old or almost 5?

You can always book her in for a check up and see if the vet has instrument to check the intra-ocular eye pressure. As mentioned, glaucoma is a possibility and that can occur in just the one eye.
                Also mentioned, there can be other causes if there is a change, so an assessment would be a good 1st step.

• celzani
                Participant

Thanks all for your advice!

I booked an appointment for monday! Originally wanted to book earlier but it was the next available appointment at the exotic vets   

I also feel like she just got a minor infection or something like that because, throughout the month, she seems perfectly fine aside from her eye. She’s been eating a lot of hay so I don’t think it is a teeth growing problem but I am not completely sure. She is an older rabbit for sure, just recently turned 7! (I realised I made a typo on my previous post and said she was 5. My bad!) so maybe her immune system weakened? 

And when I first noticed her eye a couple weeks ago, it seemed like it would switch eyes. But for yesterday and today, I noticed it stayed on the same eye.

Hoping nothing it’s nothing too bad 

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Best of luck at your appointment!

• celzani
                    Participant

Forgot to update this but better late than never!
                      We went to the appointment and the vet didn’t see or feel any signs of infection or abnormal eye pressures. Because there were no signs, the vet felt that the reason for her bulging eye, that changes eyes sometimes, is the physiological effects. They said something like rabbits eye can bulge subconciously so they can see better at all angles. Fuzzy most likely heard some strange/new noises. The vet suggested that an x-ray would be unnecessary , when there is no signs of illness at all and the x-ray costs a looooot. So we didn’t go though wtih the x-ray. A few weeks have past and her bulging eye sometimes comes and goes. We don’t really worry about it much since she seems completely fine. Hasn’t looked any worse.

Wanted to give an update on this so other people who have similar problems and are trying to search it up can have some extra information
                      Thanks for all the prayers !!!

• sarahthegemini
                      Participant
                      5584 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad she was given the all-clear. I never knew rabbits could bulge their eyes subconsciously. Interesting!

She’s a very pretty bun 🙂

• LittlePuffyTail
                        18092 posts Send Private Message

Glad to hear all is well.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A One of rabbit’s eye is bulging