Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Netherland Dwarf?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • Toki
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hello, everyone! I was told my newest addition, lil‘ Mushu here, was a Netherland dwarf. I’m starting to have my doubts, though. What do you think? He is currently 2 months and 8 days old.

Thank you in advance!

• Wick & Fable
        5812 posts Send Private Message

Can you give an approx. weight? Black fur makes distinguishing features slightly difficult

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Toki
          Participant

Posted By Wick on 5/09/2018 5:10 PM

Can you give an approx. weight? Black fur makes distinguishing features slightly difficult

I’m going to say around 2 lbs. I just noticed his ears and face look different from what I’ve seen with Netherland Dwarfs–like smaller ears and a squished, rounder face? Or something like that. I could be wrong, though.

• BrunosMama
            Participant
            1485 posts Send Private Message

Normally Nethies have squished little faces and stubby ears. Little mushu has pretty long ears to be a nethie.

Regardless, he’s adorable!

• Toki
              Participant

Posted By BrunosMama on 5/09/2018 5:38 PM

Normally Nethies have squished little faces and stubby ears. Little mushu has pretty long ears to be a nethie.

Regardless, he’s adorable!

Yeah, that’s what I figured.  Thank you! Do you have an idea of what his breed is?

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                Participant
                2512 posts Send Private Message

It can be hard to tell with bunnies who are still so young (and so freaking adorable!), but I think you can safely scrap “Netherland dwarf” from your list. Nethies have a very round head shape with extremely short triangular ears which are high up on the head. ND’s weigh up to 1,2 kg (adult weight) They typically look like this: http://www.huisdiereninfo.nl/uploads/huisdieren/KLEURDWERG2_1.jpg

Even if they’re not full dwarfs they will retain these characteristics, although their body or ears may be slightly larger. Our Breintje isn’t a full-blooded Nethie either, but he still has the distinctive head and ear shape. His body is larger than the breed standard for full blooded ND’s, he weighs approx. 1,3 kg. His ears are longer too, show standards have to be < 5 cm, and his ears are 6. He's still rocking those cute looks and the rambunctious personality of an ND though

I hope you’ll find out which breed Mushu is when he ages a bit. Hopefully you didn’t buy him specifically because you were looking for a Nethie? Pet stores and breeders will often get it wrong and call every small rabbit an ND.

• Toki
                  Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 5/09/2018 6:56 PM

It can be hard to tell with bunnies who are still so young (and so freaking adorable!), but I think you can safely scrap “Netherland dwarf” from your list. Nethies have a very round head shape with extremely short triangular ears which are high up on the head. ND’s weigh up to 1,2 kg (adult weight) They typically look like this: http://www.huisdiereninfo.nl/uploads/huisdieren/KLEURDWERG2_1.jpg

Even if they’re not full dwarfs they will retain these characteristics, although their body or ears may be slightly larger. Our Breintje isn’t a full-blooded Nethie either, but he still has the distinctive head and ear shape. His body is larger than the breed standard for full blooded ND’s, he weighs approx. 1,3 kg. His ears are longer too, show standards have to be < 5 cm, and his ears are 6. He's still rocking those cute looks and the rambunctious personality of an ND though

I hope you’ll find out which breed Mushu is when he ages a bit. Hopefully you didn’t buy him specifically because you were looking for a Nethie? Pet stores and breeders will often get it wrong and call every small rabbit an ND.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful. I love him either way, honestly, so I don’t mind what breed he ends up being. Thankfully I didn’t get him in hopes of him being a Nethie – I just fell in love with him upon meeting him. I’ll wait until he gets bigger and then try my search again!

• Wick & Fable

People often advertise their rabbits as Netherland dwarves because they are more popular to sell.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Participant

You ams welcomes Toki

Sadly that’s true Wick, Nethies are a very popular breed and not many people are aware of the distinctions between rabbit breeds. This counts for both buyers and sellers. Sometimes when I’m searching for information on Nethies I find websites with completely the wrong pictures. A 2 kg + bunny with 8 cm ears and a pointy snoot being called an ND… I always hope that those sellers make honest mistakes when selling a small bun as a Nethie, but sadly there are people who mislead others on purpose.

• Wick & Fable

And honestly, gunning for a nethie is tricky business. Wick is the result of someone haphazardly breeding nethies and he has a pretty crooked jaw and teeth line, plus he’s a runt. The more popular something is, the more you need to be educated on it before going forward!

• LBJ10
                          17014 posts Send Private Message

Maybe he’s a Polish instead? Sometimes people mistake them for Nethies.

• Azerane
                            4689 posts Send Private Message

He could be a nethie mix. Or just a general mish mash of small things

• joea64
                              Participant
                              1423 posts Send Private Message

Posted By LBJ10 on 5/09/2018 10:02 PM

I was thinking the same as well. I’m fairly sure my own Panda and Fernando are Polish* buns, the smallest non-dwarf breed (in fact Netherland Dwarfs developed from crossing Polish and wild European rabbits), and Mushu looks a lot like them in body and head shape and ears. Do his ears touch together when they’re at rest? That’s a trait of Polish rabbits.

*They don’t come from Poland, despite the name, which actually refers to how shiny their fur is, The breed was developed in the UK and the Netherlands.

• joea64
                                Participant
                                1423 posts Send Private Message

Posted By joea64 on 5/10/2018 6:21 AM

Posted By LBJ10 on 5/09/2018 10:02 PM

I was thinking the same as well. I’m fairly sure my own Panda and Fernando are Polish* buns, the smallest non-dwarf breed (in fact Netherland Dwarfs developed from crossing Polish and wild European rabbits), and Mushu looks a lot like them in body and head shape and ears. Do his ears touch together when they’re at rest? That’s a trait of Polish rabbits.

*They don’t come from Poland, despite the name, which actually refers to how shiny their fur is, The breed was developed in the UK and the Netherlands.

Participant

Yay, I finally had the little devil calmed down this afternoon ^_^ He became rather snuggly when I sat on the couch with a cup of tea, so I managed to snap some pics explaining the characteristics of Nethies and Nethie mixes. In case other people are looking up this thread or having the same questions.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Netherland Dwarf?