Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Need help encouraging senior rabbit to eat more hay

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Rosalia
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I have a senior bun who is not eating enough hay, she loves pellets and veggies but is especially picky when it comes to hay. I took her to the vet recently because she’s been having some respiratory problems and she was prescribed antibiotics. The vet also took xrays to rule out any dental issues and her teeth looked fine, but we found out she has arthritis so she’s been on Meloxicam and the antibiotics for about 9 days now. She’s still having bowel movements but you can tell she’s not eating enough hay because her poops are much smaller than usual.

• DanaNM
        9016 posts Send Private Message

How old is she? Arthritis can be in the jaw as well, which can reduce hay eating, or the antibiotics could be reducing her appetite. With my senior it helped to offer him oat hay in little piles near where he rested, but eventually even that wasn’t quite enough. If her hay consumption is really down then you may need to start supplemental feeding with a recovery food. My bun really did well with Emeraid Herbivore Sustain. The Emeraid (or other brand) would definitely help support her gut while she’s on the antibiotics.

It can also take some time to get the pain meds dialed in. If arthritis is severe, a second med can be added, such as Tramadol. My senior bun was on a combo of meloxiam and tramadol in his final year and it really helped him.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rosalia
            Participant
            3 posts Send Private Message

She was a rescue so we don’t know her exact age but we estimate she’s around 9. Based on the imaging done most of her arthritis seems to be around her hind end. I have Oxbow Critical Care so I’ve been giving her some of that. She’s eating more hay now so I’m not as worried but I’ve been in contact with my vet regardless. I’m going to ask her if she thinks it would be beneficial to increase the Meloxicam or add a second medication, because I’m not sure if she’s getting enough.

• DanaNM
              9016 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad she’s eating a bit more! I would keep up the critical care, especially if she’s eating it willingly (my senior hated critical care but loved Emeraid!). I’m sure you’ll get a better idea of where she’s at once she’s done with her antibiotics.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Need help encouraging senior rabbit to eat more hay