Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My rabbit is drinking water after every time he eats hay.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • nipoolas’s sister
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

My bunny who is 1 year old lop is drinking water every time he eats hay. He would be back at eating hay again after drinking water. It was difficult to make him eat hay and it has only been a week that he has started constantly eating. His usual diet now is timothy+orchard grass hay, leafy vegetables for 2 times a day and 2 tea spoons of versele laga cuni adult pellets. I am glad that he is eating lots of hay now but i am also confused and worried since he is drinking a lot of water after having hay too. Do I need to take him to vet ?

• Bam
        16957 posts Send Private Message

It is perfectly normal and very good for a bun that eats hay to also drink water. Hay is very dry. Buns that eat lots of hay drink a lot more water than buns that eat mostly fresh grass and other fresh greens. A rabbit that only eats dry food, needs to drink at least 100 ml (cc) water per kilo body weight and day.

• nipoolas’s sister
          Participant

I see. I have been keeping an eye on him and he eats hay then drinks water and he probably eats hay again. So I am starting to get worried since he never did sth that way. Actually, he never ate hay that consistently. He is eating lots of hay now and after that he drinks water and he be like chilling and do it all over again. 😁

• Bam

It sounds very good! Hay is the absolute best food for a bun! 🙂

• DanaNM
              9050 posts Send Private Message

Agree with Bam, sounds like he finally discovered hay is yummy, which is great!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
                17014 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies are weird. Sometimes they aren’t very interested in hay. Then one day, they discover how yummy it is. 🙄 I agree with the others, it’s perfectly normal for a bunny that eats a lot of hay to drink more water.

• Littlemouse93
                  Participant
                  36 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits also drink a lot of water. I read somewhere that rabbits drink way more water for their body size compared to other animals! It’s normal 🙂

My rabbits have the same routine every day: They like to have their breakfast, take a nap, eat a bunch of hay, then drink a bunch of water and then it’s sleepy time for the day haha.

• nipoolas’s sister
                    Participant

I am glad to hear that your rabbits have the same routine as mine since I got worried since he starts to drink more water when eating hay. 😬 Thank you so much guys !

• nipoolas’s sister
                      Participant

It was difficult to make my boy to eat hay when he has started to eat fresh vegetables he does not seem to enjoy the dried hay anymore. He was stubborn. So I had to try out various ways and he ends up eating oxbow orchard grass again so I now mix it with timothy. He is eating hay again and I will add more types of hay to encourage his appetite.

• Bam

It can be difficult to get a bun to eat hay once he’s tasted fresh greens. It’s really great that you have managed to get him to eat hay again. You are more stubborn than a rabbit, that is quite an accomplishment!

Rabbits can be very particular about what type of hay they prefer, but any grass hay is good for them. The best grass hay is, obviously, the grass hay they actually eat.

• nipoolas’s sister
                          Participant

Thank you, I had to try various hays and ways to make him eat again. Now he is eating hay whenever he gets hungry he was like asking for more veggies or pellets before.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A My rabbit is drinking water after every time he eats hay.