Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE My bun is so itchy

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Devany
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

So I noticed my boy bunny has been so itchy lately and I thought he had fleas because my cat had them but everytime I check him and brush him there’s literally nothing on him. Please help

• DanaNM
        9024 posts Send Private Message

He could have fur mites, do you see any red or scaly areas on his skin?

Sometimes they also seem a bit more itchy when they are molting.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Devany
          Participant

I don’t see any scaly areas on his skin. I looked all through his fur and there is nothing. He’s itching on his face and ears and I see him nibbling himself. I’m honestly confused

• Bam
            16921 posts Send Private Message

How old is he? Sometimes very young buns and puppy dogs itch themselves a lot.

Rabbits can get food allergies and other types of allergies.

• Devany
              Participant

He’s 9 months old hes about to be 1 in October. The itching just started around the time I noticed that my cat had fleas. They are both inside animals but my cat got fleas from my mom’s cat who goes outside. And my bun  just eats Timothy hay and occasionally I give him snacks because he has a sensitive stomach

• LBJ10
                16966 posts Send Private Message

You could get Revolution (selamectin) as a “just in case”. It won’t hurt him to apply it, so no harm done if it isn’t fleas or mites.

PSA: Never use anything with fipronil on rabbits. It’s toxic to them.

• Devany
                  Participant

Okay, I will look into that and thank you!!!

• Devany
                    Participant

Okay, thank you for replying back to me!!

• Devany
                      Participant

I tried getting the revolution and I have to get it prescribed to me. If I want to purchase it :/

• Bam

Yes, Revolution (selamectin) is prescription only in most countries except Australia. Sometimes your vet might will let you purchase it from their clinic without a appointment.

For fleas you can use Advantage. It has imidaclopride. In early stages of an infestation you might not see any fleas or eggs on the rabbit.

(PSA: Never use any compound containing fipronil on a rabbit. It can be deady toxic to them. Many anti-parasitics contain fipronil, so carefully read the ingredient list! End of PSA.)

• Devany
                          Participant

The cat and dog one is safe for my rabbit?

• Bam

Yes. I think the kitten one is what’s used for rabbits, mainly because of body weight. You want a dosage that’s as close to your bun’s weight as possible.

You will need to do at least one repeat treatment to get the fleas that are eggs now but will hatch later. Repeat treatment should be done about 8 days after the initial treatment (4 weeks in cats) because rabbits metabolize drugs very fast.

• LBJ10
                              16966 posts Send Private Message

My vet will just prescribe it over the phone. No need for a visit. You can call your vet to ask. Just say your cat had fleas and you want to treat your bunny as a preventative. And yes, it’s typically the kitten formula. You just need to make sure you’re using the correct amount.

If you can’t get Revolution, then you could try Advantage (as Bam suggested).

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE My bun is so itchy