Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Little chunk missing from his ear!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Heaven
      Participant
      256 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys 

I noticed today that my solo bun Sam has a little v-shaped tear in his ear. I sought @Wick’s advice last week as I had felt a little bump at the end of the ear which seemed to be crusty/stuck with hair. I kept an eye on it as he’d been scratching the area a little more than usual. Today I had a feel & the lump is gone, but so is the ear!! 

Can’t see anything out of the ordinary inside his ears, and he’s eating, drinking & binkying as much as ever. Is this a potential vet issue or something fairly common with rabbits?

• Wick & Fable
        5806 posts Send Private Message

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Wick & Fable
          5806 posts Send Private Message

It looks like a pretty clean lob-off. I don’t have experience, but I’ve heard that some rabbits do develop harmless bumps on their ears that eventually fall off if they do not develop into cancerous tumors. The photos you attached actually somewhat surprised me, because I believe Wick’s ear tips look like that, but I never saw it as skin fell off — I thought the fur just grew longer there, so it naturally created a V…. I’ll have to do a feeler this evening and see if maybe Wick had this occur on him.

Hopefully other members more experienced with ear-anomalies can chime in with some advice. Again, on a positive note, it doesn’t look like a crazy infection or anything of that sort. No appearance of flakes or irritation/fur loss, so that’s generally a great sign when considering skin diseases/conditions.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• pinknfwuffy
            Participant
            660 posts Send Private Message

I’ve never seen this so maybe someone else will know better but my two best guesses would be that (1) whatever was causing the bump irritated him enough to bite it or (2) maybe he bit or injured the area to begin with and it felt like a bump while it was healing, only to now show the shape of the damage? Even so, I would think something like that would appear much more grusome and at the very least like a wound.

Hard to say without seeing the skin underneath. Is it red, swollen, or look like a scab in that area? If not, I would just keep an eye on it and check the rest of his ear and body for any markings or itchy spots. It might be worth a vet visit to make sure he doesn’t have mites or possibly a tick.

• Heaven
              Participant

Here’s a better pic.

My thoughts are that this bump on his ear was bothering him & he’s nibbled it off…?

• Bam
                16946 posts Send Private Message

Yes, that would be my guess too. It doesn’t look like anything bad. Keep keeping an eye!

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Agree with Bam. No need to worry if it heals up nicely.

• Heaven
                    Participant

Thanks everyone!! <3

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Little chunk missing from his ear!