Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Little Brown Bugs That Love To Bite

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunniiQueen
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

I have had Boo for awhile, and there’s been no point in time where he’s shown signs of fleas or anything. Yet lately these little brown bugs with wings (almost like gnats, how other people have described it) have been popping up. I’m not for sure where and how but all my fingers are pointing to Boo unfortunately. And lately I’ve been getting these bites popping up on my skin. I figured they were mosquitoes since I swell from those bites, but they aren’t mosquitoes either. My mom has helped me move my furniture and clean items from under my bed that Boo night have gotten into but yet the bugs keep popping up. We’ve sprayed my bed (since we thought it was bed bugs) and sprayed and vacuumed around my room. After all this cleaning, I recently started sleeping back in my room and I bit up again! Please if anyone has a solution let me know! The very last thing I want to do is give Boo away, but I need answers!

• Wick & Fable
        5802 posts Send Private Message

Are they weevils? I think that’s what they’re called. Those come from hay. I’ve found one or two in some bags of Oxbow before.

Can you look around your rabbit’s tummy and backside and see if you find any bumps or holes which indicate bug burrowing? Any ill health behaviors?

Rabbits are very clean animals, so typically bugs come from the hay or are attracted by unclean environments like a litter box that’s gone too long without being cleaned or a portion of a hutch overlooked and has been accumulating gross dirt over time.

Rabbits really do not attract bugs like that, so the more additional information you can provide, the better! If you can find one and capture it, take a picture, and post it, maybe we can identify a specific source. I recommend looking through hay containers and vessels first.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
          16978 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like flea bites to me. Fleas don’t have wings, but boy can they jump!

• BunniiQueen
            Participant

These are the best pictures I could find, I sprayed earlier this evening and this is what was left over. I’ve seen these bugs sporadically when I was late on cleaning Boo’s cage, but there were lots of them dead in my window, and that was the most I’ve ever seen at once . I looked up weevils and they looking nothing like those type of bugs. I have also checked Boo’s food and there are no traces of bugs or punctures in the bag.

• Rookie
              Participant
              466 posts Send Private Message

have you considered that it may be your mattress? Are the bugs only in your room? have you checked the outside of the window as they may be coming from outside. Do you have wood or carpet flooring? I would suggest contacting an exterminator and asking them to identify the bugs and perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

• Wick & Fable

I do frequently side with rabbits, but trying to be as objective as possible, I still don’t think Boo is a likely source. Rabbits don’t really give off odors that attract bugs anyways. I think this is something that may have occurred even if Boo was not present. The presence of his litter box may be causing them to stick around your room more, but this is all speculation. Have you looked at the windows in adjacent rooms for any stragglers?

If a lot of dead in your window, the source may be a crack. With the weather, many bugs will find an avenue indoors, and once a path is established, the bugs follow it. Similar to carpenter ants, once one finds a viable path, a slew will follow. Can you identify a place they clump around the most? See if temporarily lining your entire window in a rolled towel barrier (blocking any potential nooks) lessens it. Additionally, you can leave face-up tape all around the high-body areas to see where on the tape the bugs are concentrated, identifying where the start/source of the infestation is.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10

The picture isn’t very clear, but they look like dead fleas to me.

• Wick & Fable

^ I’m not experienced with flea’s, so LBJ could definitely be onto something.

• LBJ10

I’m mostly going off of shape. The “hunched” appearance is typical of fleas. Bed bugs are flat and oval shaped.

• BunniiQueen
                        Participant

Dear everyone,
                          Thank you for your help! But my parents are calling an exterminator and they’ve ruled out that the bugs are carpet beetles. They feed on animal material like fur so Boo shedding can attract them. The bugs do not bite but they have hairs on them that can cause allergic reactions like the ones I was having.
                          Let this be a lesson to you all, Constantly clean around your rabbit’s cage, even the tiniest hair can attract something!
                          Thank you all once again!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Little Brown Bugs That Love To Bite