Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Last night’s stasis

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • KytKattin
      Participant
      1195 posts Send Private Message

Well it ended up happening. I really hoped it wouldn’t but I had a feeling that it would happen. My newish rabbit Hubble was moved into a bigger cage on Sunday because he’s taking a while to litter train and can’t move in with Nova yet. Well he’s normally a very poopy rabbit, or at least it seems like it since he’s bigger than Nova. For about a day he only had about 10-20 micro poops. So major freakout before I’m ready to go to bed (when I feed them). Plus he didn’t want to eat his pellets (he lubbles his pellets) and he hadn’t drank his normal amount of water.

He was still nibbling on hay though and since there was some poop I figured it wasn’t a blockage. His stomach was mildly gurgly, but not constantly so, or enough to be a huge concern. So I got online and found a link posted on this forum and looked at the home remidies. First and easiest was to give him a massage and I did that for about half an hour. Magically, little poops appeared in my lap, and they were slightly larger than his micro ones. Second, I did force down a very small amount of water. It probably just made him angry, but it made me feel a bit better to know that he had some water. I put him back in his cage with some greens and decided I’d check on him in a few hours. My alarm didn’t go off, so it ended up being around 5:00 am when I finally woke up and checked on him. In his cage there was about 20 nice large poops and his greens were mostly gone!

So after going through all of this I have to ask, how am I going to be able to tell when this happens when my rabbits live together? Gah, I didn’t really think of this when I got another bun. At least everything is okay for now anyways.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Ohhh that’s hard. I’m glad he’s doing well now!

If they aren’t exactly the same size, start to familiarize yourself with their poops. By size you usually can tell them apart. I can always tell who pooped out of bounds by their poop size. Hindsight it’s awesome to have rabbits who are different sizes-makes their poops easy to tell apart. However if youreally try you can generally tell them apart-size, color, shape, just do some poop inspecting I’ll bet you can tell them apart
          If you can’t generally you can tell stasis by them not eating as well though!

• skunklionshow
          Participant
          1257 posts Send Private Message

K&K:  we bunny people sound really crazy to an outsider…..you get familiar w/ their individual poops…eeekee!

However eked out I agree, I can tell b/t the 2.  TBH, one tends to prefer one of the litterboxes over the other.  I’ve also really gotten familiar w/ their individual eating habits & likes/dislikes.  That makes it very helpful when I suspect that one is eating or drinking less over the other.  Hope that helps?  Glad that everything worked out last night.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

If you are not sure which rabbit is having an episode, split a pen or cage so they can still see each other and give them each a litterbox and wait to see the results in the litterbox. If I am not sure this is what I do and it is a tip I picked up from my bunny sitter who shared this with me because sometimes it is hard to tell.

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

That’s a good idea Scarlet Rose^. Temporary but a sure way to find out. Also I was thinking you would look for other signs of stasis or rabbit feeling unwell. I know mine accepts tummy massage when she needs it but whereas most times I’m not ‘allowed’ to do that. This could be an individual to her. You could try massage on both buns to see which accepts it. Along with listening to stomach(?)

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Thanks! I fully credit my awesome bunny-sitter with this idea. I think she received this tip from the HRS manager.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Last night’s stasis