Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Identifying gender (Pictures of a bunny bottom inside!)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Augustas
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello! 

Just a few days ago, our family and I decided to buy a little bunny. Having read that the overall sweetness differs based on gender, we were concerned whether we should buy a boy or a girl.

When we finally went to the store, there were just a few bunnies left and we decided to simply buy one. (We did ask if it’s a girl or a boy, but they told us it’s too difficult to tell, because they’re so young)

While it didn’t bother us at first, not knowing the gender of our new pet, in a while we just got very interested and after looking at our bunny’s bottom we began comparing it to pictures of bunny bottoms on the net.

Unfortunately, we just couldn’t agree on the gender amongst ourselves, so I come to You, to ask if our little ball of fluff is a boy or a girl.

Thanks! 

TL;DR: We got a new bunny, but we’re unsure of the gender. Is it a boy or a girl? (Pictures attached)

• Monkeybun
        Participant
        10479 posts Send Private Message

Looks like a boy to me, but I could be wrong. Your best bet is take him/her to a vet for confirmation, and a wellness check anyway

• NuggetBuns
          Participant
          348 posts Send Private Message

That looks like a little penis but you can’t be 100% sure until his testicles descend.

In regards to gender differences, I don’t believe that one tends to be more sweet than the other. It really comes down to their personality and how much love you give them.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

There are also those who say the sweetness depends on the breed and size, too. I think if you make a very safe home from the start, don’t startle your bunny or be harsh, don’t unconsciously mimic predator behavior, your bunny will have the best chance of feeling safe and secure with you. Bunnies do not like to be held much, and are not cuddly, so they won’t necessarily come around like a cat might. Just let your new bunny be themselves, and you will see a personality form.

First thought was it’s a boy. If you don’t have plans for a second bunny before a speuter, I’d say just wait a few months to look again. Sometimes it helps to pick a gender neutral name. (Sarita’s Toffee and Twizzler are good examples.)

• Roberta
              Participant
              4355 posts Send Private Message

Looks like a little girl in the pictures. Visually bunnies are constructed very similarly when young which is why it is a good idea to separate them early. When I had the oops litter a friend who is particularly good at sexing buns showed me how. All bunnies have the little sheath looking at it girls generally look like (I) and boys (.) I just wish I had consulted her before the oops litters arrived. That being said if the are under 10 weeks of age it is virtually impossible to be sure.
                As to temperament gender really has very little to do with it. They can all be little monsters through puberty. The only difference I see in mine are the girls are a bit cleverer and solve problems faster, but that’s just my buns.

• LBJ10
                16974 posts Send Private Message

I’m guessing boy. But it is hard to tell. Only way to be 100% sure is when testicles suddenly appear. LOL
                  I think perhaps the gender thing might have come about because of unspayed females. If they are spayed though, there really isn’t any difference between them and neutered boys. Either sex can be sweet and it really just depends on individual personality.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

(We did ask if it’s a girl or a boy, but they told us it’s too difficult to tell, because they’re so young)

That actually makes a nice change!
                    Too many stores tell customers the sex and so often it’s wrong.

I agree, your rabbit is looking very much like a boy.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Identifying gender (Pictures of a bunny bottom inside!)