Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE I’d like to think I did the right thing

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Harley&Thumper
      Participant
      444 posts Send Private Message

Yesterday I was browsing through hoobly and found a post for two bunnies that needed to be rehomed immediately and that they were free. I always here how free bunnies end up as snake food and informed the person making the post that free bunnies normally end up as snake food. I also offered to take them to an animal shelter if they couldn’t find them a new home.

They did accept my offer to take them to a shelter for them because there wasn’t one close by ( it was a 2 hour drive round trip from my place to theirs).

Did I do the right thing or should I have just informed them about what normally happens to free bunnies?

The two bunnies had a loving home that just couldn’t afford to take care of them anymore.

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

I don’t understand, what makes you think that could have possibly been the wrong thing to do?

• Harley&Thumper
          Participant
          444 posts Send Private Message

The two bunnies will be at the shelter for at least 4 months (2 months before their ready for their spay neuter, 1 month to recover, and at least a month before they are adopted) before going to their new home but there is no chance of becoming snake food. They are safe at the shelter but they won’t necessarily thrive there.

If I hadn’t taken them to the shelter there is a chance they would have become food but they also would most likely go to their new home sooner.

• MK
            Participant
            751 posts Send Private Message

Don’t overthink it! The shelter will do a good job of placing them in a new home, and it was very kind of you to drive them there. The bunnies will be just fine at the shelter for a bit, they will be fed and comfortable and receive needed medical care. The shelter will in all likelihood do a better job of finding a good home than the original owners

• Gordo and Janice
              Participant
              703 posts Send Private Message

Agree with MK. Don’t overthink it. You made the better choice for the best chance at the most positive outcome…in my opinion.

• sarahthegemini
                Participant
                5584 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t even question it, you did the right thing. Two months in a shelter obviously isn’t ideal but at least they’ll be properly cared for before finding a loving home. Much better than being given free to any random person.

• Katie
                  Participant
                  24 posts Send Private Message

You did a wonderful thing, you went out of the way to help. Doing your best to ensure a happy life for them both. Thank you for what you did!

• Luna
                    Participant
                    2219 posts Send Private Message

You absolutely did the right thing! I volunteer at a rabbit rescue and the buns there are very well taken care of. Yes, a shelter probably wouldn’t be the first choice a bun would chose for a “home” but as STG said they will get taken care of – food, water, grooming, human interaction, play time, toys, spay/neuter, and medical care. And even though the buns don’t get all the spoils that come with a permanent home, they are happy and their personalities still shine through. Also, like others have said, the shelter will make sure they go to a good home .

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE I’d like to think I did the right thing