Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE How to socialize Finnegan?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • MoxieMeadows
      Participant
      5375 posts Send Private Message

Basic Info: Unknown age, but they guessed around 3 or so years old. I am his fourth (and final) home. The only time he was ever handled/let out of his tiny cage, he was being handled/harassed by small children. Never been given fresh foods before coming to live with me.

Finnegan is now in a 7’x4′ enclosure attached to his little cage he came to me in. I can’t touch him at all, and if I make any sudden movements or speak, even if I am on the other side of my bedroom, he runs into his cage as fast as he can. As soon as I quietly walk into my room, he hides. He is still terrified of people. I have only had him for 3 weeks, but he really needs his nails trimmed, and I don’t want to scare him, or undo the little progress I have made. I can’t bribe his affection with food either, since he isn’t really food motivated, since he isn’t used to it. I try and sit in his pen and use my phone, and he will eventually start sniffing me. But I feel like I am making no progress. I know it will take a lot of time. I was just hoping that somebody might have some tips in making him more comfortable with me?
        I just don’t want him to be scared.
        Thanks so much!

• DanaNM
        9050 posts Send Private Message

Poor little guy, it’s wonderful that you have him now

From your number of posts, I’m sure you know the basics of bonding with shy bunnies. I had a very bunny with me for about 6-8 months, and he would bolt any time we moved too. It was so sad. BUT, after about 2-3 months, he started relaxing a bit, and wouldn’t run just because we walked by him. Around 5 months, he actually started accepting pets if he was in the right mood and we were very calm.

With him, we basically “played hard to get”, and tried to not move suddenly around him without warning him first (we would speak softly to him as much as possible). I would lay on the floor, but not interact at all. I would just feed and do necessary husbandry. I hand fed him a lot (I would feed a portion of his daily veggies and pellets by hand). You will need to do the nail trim, so I wouldn’t worry about undoing your progress. He might even realize that you are a much more gentle handler than his previous owners.

Since he was in such a small space before, he might even feel better with a slightly restricted space, and lots of hiding spots in his run. It would also prob help if you tried to talk softly too him as much as possible, especially if you are about to enter the room or move, so he isn’t as startled.

The fact that he will sniff you if you sit in his pen is very positive! I’ve also heard it can help to spend time with him in lots of positions, so he learns to recognize you from all angles. I’ve also heard of people leaving a dirty sock in their shy bun’s pen, so they can get used to their scent, but I haven’t tried that myself.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
          17014 posts Send Private Message

Hmm… would being with him without actually being there help? Like if you were to give him a blanket that smells like you?

I know he isn’t food motivated, but you are the bringer of food. So that should count for something over time. Is he afraid to try new things? Wooly is so picky, he never wants to try new things. When he finally does though, it sometimes turns out that he likes it. A lot! So maybe it’s just a matter of figuring out what he likes. Don’t be discouraged if he turns his nose up at first. For example, it took many tries just to get Wooly to try banana.

• MoxieMeadows
            Participant

Thanks Dana! It’s encouraging to read your response about having a shy bun that eventually started to warm up to people and the fact that I am doing a lot of these already. (It’s not like I am expecting him to even ever become super cuddly. If he does, that is awesome, but the goal right now is just to get him to not be scared) I have been sitting in his pen and reading softly to him to get him used to my voice. If I don’t move, he will even binky around. He really enjoys the new space (I watch him zoom around and binky before I get up for the day, while he still thinks I am sleeping, lol), and he has quite a few hidey spots just in case he wants to hide. I also make a tongue clicking type noise as I move around, to let him know about my whereabouts, and before I leave treats in his cage. I am also doing the “ignore him” approach. I sit in there, and he can sniff me all he wants, but I never reach for him or try to touch him.

• MoxieMeadows
              Participant

LBJ- I can try to leave an article of clothing or a pair of glasses in his pen (Glasses are on humans oil glands, so should have a lot of scent to an animal, if I am correct? I thought I heard it on an animal behaviorist show). I have gotten him to try spinach and unsweetened apple sauce so far. He seems to like the spinach, but never wanted to try the applesauce again, haha.

• GeorgieTheBunny
                Participant
                212 posts Send Private Message

Reading softly to him. That makes me smile. I read a children’s story to my buns after adopting her. I think it does a lot to be talking in soft tones, unlike the expressive voice we use during a phone conversation.
                  I’ve done yoga in their space which was successful in sparking curiousity. Turned on some YouTube yoga, rolled out my mat (which they like hopping on!) and did 35 minutes of stuff on the floor. There’s usually calming music, or a soft voice guiding the yoga too. It’s an idea

• DanaNM
                  9050 posts Send Private Message

Posted By MoxieMeadows on 4/14/2018 4:45 PM

Thanks Dana! It’s encouraging to read your response about having a shy bun that eventually started to warm up to people and the fact that I am doing a lot of these already. (It’s not like I am expecting him to even ever become super cuddly. If he does, that is awesome, but the goal right now is just to get him to not be scared) I have been sitting in his pen and reading softly to him to get him used to my voice. If I don’t move, he will even binky around. He really enjoys the new space (I watch him zoom around and binky before I get up for the day, while he still thinks I am sleeping, lol), and he has quite a few hidey spots just in case he wants to hide. I also make a tongue clicking type noise as I move around, to let him know about my whereabouts, and before I leave treats in his cage. I am also doing the “ignore him” approach. I sit in there, and he can sniff me all he wants, but I never reach for him or try to touch him.

Awww, he sounds like he will settle in just fine! The shy bunny I had never binkied, zoomed around, or played with toys, so I bet your guy will warm up to you more quickly. And yes, I was the same way. I didn’t expect him to be cuddly or anything, I just wanted him to be relaxed and feel safe with us! 

At that time, I remember reading accounts from other people with very shy rescue bunnies, and I seemed like many would warm up after 3-6 months, and still others would blossom after a year or more.  

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE How to socialize Finnegan?