Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR How to assert dominance over rabbit – cage aggression

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • thegreenjudy
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

My little sweetheart got spayed last Friday but she has now become more fierce than she was before. When I attempt to open the cage she is already there grunting although I haven’t even put my hands in yet — It’s difficult to even feed her, lol. She hasn’t been out as much because she was spayed so maybe it’s that. But generally she is quite cheeky and before she would demand petting by putting her head down (she does that with the cat as well) which I believe is her trying to assert dominance. Can someone give me tips how to change her behaviour? Some say to put their head down but others say to associate my hand with positive things – what’s right or wrong?

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

Many rabbits go through a post spay craze which means that their hormones go a bit wild til they settle. This could be the reason behind her fierceness.

You are a human. You do not need to assert dominance over her. 

• Sirius&Luna
          Participant
          2319 posts Send Private Message

This stopping rabbits asserting dominance thing comes up a lot and I don’t really get it. If you rabbit is asking you to pet her, just pet her! Lots of people would love their bunnies to approach them for pets. Rabbits don’t see humans as part of their hierarchies so she’s not trying to ‘dominate’ you.

If she’s doing something bad (eg, chewing a wall) and you want her to stop, say ‘NO’ firmly and clearly, and redirect her to something she can chew (eg a willow stick).

• Harley&Thumper
            Participant
            444 posts Send Private Message

I think the idea is the dominant bun gets groomed. So if I, the human, am the dominant one, then I will be groomed by my bunny. I will admit that I will try this every now and then in hopes of being groomed

• Wick & Fable
              5798 posts Send Private Message

Mirroring what they’re saying above in a slightly different way, in no circumstance does a rabbit feel like it’s dominant over a human. Rabbits are prey species, and observing how fast, strong, and large humans are, they will never try to dominate you.

This does not mean that they won’t bite you or try and scratch and fight you though. A child doesn’t feel domination over a parent, but my goodness do children still act out.

If you find a rabbit that is completely obedient and non-aggressive despite circumstance all-around, it’s most likely afraid of the owner rather than seeing them as being “dominant”. Wick loves me dearly and he listens to me, but it makes me happy knowing he feels comfortable vocalizing his objections.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Mikey
                Participant
                3186 posts Send Private Message

“I think the idea is the dominant bun gets groomed. So if I, the human, am the dominant one, then I will be groomed by my bunny. ”

Thats the thing: the dominant bunny gets groomed more often. Humans are not rabbits and rabbits do not see humans as rabbits. Rabbits will always see humans as humans and rabbits as rabbits. Youll never have a dom/sub relationship with your rabbit, because humans arnt in the rabbit totem. Youll only ever have a human/bun relationship with your rabbit.

You dont want her to do something, say no. Maybe do a soft clap or thump on the ground. Positive reinforcement works well with rabbits so if she does something you like, pet her and/or offer a treat. Many people have also clicker trained their rabbit to avoid certain behaviors.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR How to assert dominance over rabbit – cage aggression