Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Growths on rabbit – Shope Papilloma Virus

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sara
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Does anyone have any experience with shope papilloma virus? One of my rabbits has odd growths forming on his ear, nose, mouth, and anal region (see attached pictures). He has stumped multiple vets, but parasites, ticks/mites, and cancer were ruled out. He did have an ear amputated due to the growth spreading so badly. Internet research led me to shope papilloma virus which looks and sounds exactly like what he has. He is the sweetest rabbit, and I feel so helpless. ANY advice (treatment, management, etc.) on this condition is greatly appreciated!!

• LittlePuffyTail
        18092 posts Send Private Message

Sorry to hear that. I can’t see a picture. Can you re-try to attach it.

Is your bunny indoor or outdoor?

Was a biopsy performed? I don’t know much about this, other than what I’ve read but hopefully someone here can give you more info.

• LBJ10
          16996 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, it certainly looks like it to me. Papillomas can be fleshy and cauliflower-like or they can be keratinized and horny-like. The good news is that papillomas are typically benign. Unfortunately, there isn’t really any treatment for them. You either leave them be and allow them to regress on their own or you have them surgically removed (laser seems to be the most popular surgery method).

There have been experiments with anti-virals, but there are currently no treatments like that available (at least none I’ve heard of).

One thing to keep an eye out for would be one of the papillomas becoming malignant. It’s a small chance, but it can happen. Shope was actually credited for making one of the first discoveries of a virus that “causes” cancer in mammals.

• jerseygirl
            22345 posts Send Private Message

I think you are spot on. It really does look and sound like shope papillomas. Here is the info on it from Medirabbit site (warning: there are graphic images, especially the last ones of rectal papillomas).
              http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Pap/Papilloma.htm

Beautiful bunny. I just love those large brown eyes.

• Sara
              Participant

Thank you so much for your post. I have heard papillomas can become malignant, although the biopsy taken of the spot on my rabbit’s ear came back benign. Even if his other papillomas remain benign, I worry they will continue spreading in size and be difficult to remove surgically–especially the spot now on his nose with how flat rabbit noses are. Continuing to put him under for surgeries is worrisome, too.

Thanks again; I appreciate the information!

• Sara
                Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies. My rabbit is an indoor rabbit. A biopsy was performed on the spot removed from his ear and was diagnosed as vasculitis. I wonder if the vasculitis resulted from him constantly scratching the papilloma spot off? Neither of the vets I took him to mentioned shope papilloma virus.

He is a rescue bunny and has become a close companion to my other female rabbit. They are quite the pair! I wish I knew how else to help him because it breaks my heart that he has this condition.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

I guess another possibility is Treponematosis (rabbit syphilis) as it can form crusty lesions around the face and genitals. It’s a bacterial infection easily treated. Rabbit may carry it and be asymptomatic or it lie dormant a long time and flare up at some point.

• LBJ10
                    16996 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately, some bunnies are just more susceptible. It’s an immunity thing. Sometimes their immune system just can’t suppress it and you have individuals with these crazy outbreaks of warts/growths. I don’t know if trying to boost his immune system would help or not.

It’s likely the other bunny has been infected as well and her immune system much better at keeping things under control. Some bunnies can be infected and exhibit no symptoms at all.

If you’re able to do laser removal, it would be much less traumatic than excision. Something to keep in mind if they do not resolve on their own.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Growths on rabbit – Shope Papilloma Virus