Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Feeling Guilty

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sonn
      Participant
      1810 posts Send Private Message

I’ve had Joey for roughly 4 months now. When I first brought her home she pretty much had free run of my house when I was home and full reign of the back of my house when I wasn’t home. 

Now she is in her cage other than 6 hours a day. Since my dog has become paralyzed my life has drastically changed. He requires 24/7 care especially now that he is incontinent. And I’ve had to move some things around in my house to accommodate him.

All of this means Joey no longer has free run of any part of my house. When she is out when I am home she is limited to my bedroom, the hallway, and my dining room. 

I feel absolutely terrible. 

As soon as I open her crate she goes straight to “her door” which leads to the back of my house and she will stand there forever before realizing it isn’t going to open. 

I’ve tried to compensate with new toys and new tunnels and lots of cuddles but I just feel like I’ve already failed her.

• DanaNM
        9050 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry about your pup

I think she will adjust, and I don’t think you should feel guilty at all! It sounds like she gets way more space than mine do, given that I’m in a studio apartment and they don’t even get all of that (they get up to no good in the bathroom and closet). I think she will adjust in time.

6 hours a day is also a good amount if it’s timed to when she’s active morning and evenings. When my husband doesn’t work from home, mine only get about that as well. And even when he’s home, they sleep in their condo all day anyway, aside from maybe a short venture out.

I am not sure about bunnies, but I’ve heard dogs are more obsessed with doors when they can’t see through them, so maybe putting a baby gate or something similar there would help her not be so obsessed with what’s on the other side? My buns used to have access to the hallway and bathroom, but no longer do. I use an x-pen to block it off and they aren’t too concerned with getting through. BunJovi will “test” it maybe once a day, then move on.

Again please don’t feel guilty! It sounds like she is still living a life that most bunnies would dream of!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• joea64
          Participant
          1423 posts Send Private Message

I occasionally feel guilty myself that I can’t let Panda and Fernando free-range, but my current apartment is just too small and crowded with sensitive things that don’t react well to rabbit teeth to make that a realistic option (this is one reason I’m hoping that I can find a larger apartment next year providing my 2019 salary is up to it and I get a good rental quote). I do the best I can, which is to provide them with a big playpen to run around in from the time I get home in the evening to when I leave for work in the morning (usually a 8-to-9-hour block of time every evening, with extra time out on the weekends), and to give them hidey boxes, tunnels, the bed, and plenty of chew toys, willow sticks, cardboard pieces, etc. to keep them occupied, as well as continuous attention whenever I’m home). After over a year living with me, it seems to me that they’ve adjusted their rhythms so that they’re most active in the evenings and overnight, and are perfectly content to snooze most of the day while I’m gone in their condo.

• sarahthegemini
            Participant
            5584 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear about your dog’s health struggles *hugs*

As for Joey, try not to feel guilty – easier said than done I know but really it sounds like she has plenty of space when you’re home. A bedroom, hallway and dining room sounds pretty spacious! My rabbits can’t be fully free roam now that I’m living with my Mum but they have their room, my bedroom and a small hallway and they’re very happy! Be kind to yourself. You’re doing the best you can and it really does sound like she has plenty of space.

In regards to her waiting by ‘her door’ well, I think rabbits are automatically drawn to places they can’t go. My Buttercup used to be obsessed with getting in my pantry (at the time she had free roam completely as this was at my old house) so it’s likely Joey is more determined to get through the door simply because it’s off limits rather than actually wanting to be in that space.

• Tony's Mum
              Participant
              431 posts Send Private Message

Sonn, I know exaclty hopw you feel. Tony used to be completely free roam but I had to move out of our apartment and in with my Mum, so he’s now confined to my room most of the day, and can run around upstairs when I’m home. It’s the main reason why I adopted Mellie.

You’re doing your best. Joey sounds like she has a decent space to roam, and you’ve given her plenty to play with. She’s still spoiled, even if she’s not quite as spoiled as before

• DanaNM

“In regards to her waiting by ‘her door’ well, I think rabbits are automatically drawn to places they can’t go. “

This for sure! 

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Awww…..sorry to hear you feel that way. And I can relate. Elara has her own (small) room but she loves to be free roam in the living room and kitchen. Because she is so destructive I can only let her out when she’s supervised, like 4 hours a day or so. I feel awful guilty whenever she’s not out. And I always felt really guilty when I had un-bonded buns as they had to share their out time.

I think bunnies have a way of making us feel guilty, no matter how good they have it. Must be those cute faces.

• Sonn
                    Participant
                    1810 posts Send Private Message

The gate idea worked really well!

Thank you for the concerns regarding my dog. He’s spoiled but I bet he’d rather be able to walk and pee on his own instead.

I’ve also been giving Joey supervised visits with one of my cats and my youngest dog because she is obsessed with them. My dog doesn’t give two woots about her but she likes climbing on top of him or sleeping next to him. My cat loves for her to chase him around and around and around for as long as she is willing.

• DanaNM

I’m so happy to hear that!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Feeling Guilty