Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Falling into my hand

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mackenziepaynm
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

I got my rabbit about 1 week ago we have bonded very quickly and he seems very comfortable around me. But for the last 3 day every time I put my rabbit on me chest and stroke him (near the beginning of his ears) he falls back with me hand, I thought there was something wrong but he  only does it when I’m standing up and he doesn’t do it to anyone else someone please explain to me why he does that ! I’m a bit worried it means he hates me.

• LBJ10
        16999 posts Send Private Message

I’m not quite sure what you’re describing. Does he completely fall over? Or is he pushing your hand backward with his head?

• Mackenziepaynm
          Participant

He doesn’t really fall backwards and he doesn’t push my hand follows my hand  so it looks like I’m holding him on his back (I support his bottom) so it looks like he’s falling back but if I stop stroking mid stroke he goes back on my chest.

• Bam
            16951 posts Send Private Message

I dont quie understand what you are describing either. It it like he’s struggling to get away from you when you’re holding him?

• LBJ10
              16999 posts Send Private Message

I agree. It almost sounds like he’s trying to get away, like he doesn’t like having his head pet and he’s trying to back away from your hand but he’s being held there.

• Bam
                16951 posts Send Private Message

If he is trying to get away from you it’s not because he hates you. It’s a lot more likely that he doesn’t want to be held and that he now, after being with you for a week, feels confident enough to show you what he wants. Most pets are very cautious and take care not to make a fuss when they’re in a new environment. If your bun now lets other people hold him but tries to get away from you when you hold him, it actually means he trusts you more than he trusts the other people. So this is all part of your bonding process.

Rabbits as a rule like being pet around the ears, but they want to decide themselves when. They often like sitting on their human’s chest when the human is lying on a couch or bed or the floor, but they don’t want to be restrained and forced to. Their instincts tell them that being restrained is the first step towards becoming someone’s dinner, and those instincts run deep with rabbits.

• Cinnamon Bun
                  Participant
                  205 posts Send Private Message

Maybe attaching a video could help us identify what you’re describing? ♡ Is his head flopping backwards? You wrote in your post that he was falling back…

• Wick & Fable
                    5810 posts Send Private Message

It seems like you are trancing your rabbit and therefore activating a natural reflex that is highly discouraged in the pet rabbit community (based on the picture you found and are referencing). Please read here about trancing and why it is discouraged: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Trancing

Please refrain from handling your rabbit like this in the future as it can cause un-needed stress.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Mackenziepaynm
                      Participant

He does exactly this ( I got this from google because I don’t like holding him with one hand)

(This may be a tranced rabbit — please see here for information on why trancing is discouraged: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Trancing) note added by Wick

• Mackenziepaynm
                        Participant

Thank you for informing me I will avoid his ears from now on when petting him! I am very new to owning a rabbit so I had no idea what it was but thank you!

• Wick & Fable
                            5810 posts Send Private Message

Trancing is not induced by petting the ears — trancing is induced by positioning the rabbit on its back where their head is at level or lower than their behind. There are pictures included in the link I sent.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
                            9050 posts Send Private Message

I think the issue is more because of the way you are holding him on your chest. Depending on his history, he may have been held on his back a lot (breeders tend to do this a lot).  If he is fairly vertical when on your chest, he may  be almost anticipating being flipped and kind of slip into the position easily. Or if he is pushing back, he could push himself into this position.

Rabbits generally love their ears being petted, but most rabbits prefer to be petted while sitting on the ground.

I recommend petting your bun while sitting on the ground with him, and if you have to carry him, make sure he’s held in a position where he doesn’t tip back past vertical. Hold him firmly so he can’t wiggle around.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Falling into my hand