Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Ear mites

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Zeus.Loopy
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty sure my 2/ 5month old mini lops have ear mites. They display all the signs of it such as head shaking, bald patches on ears, constantly grooming and scratching ears.

My black female has it worse and I think it started out with her having it first because I can see so much dandruff on her black fur compared to my broken opal male.

My vet wasn’t too rabbit savy and I recently brought them in for a checkup and they told me everything is fine.

I have a bottle of ivermection liquid. Can someone tell me how much I use topically? They are both 1.5- 2 pounds in weight.

And would I need to put oil drops in their ears? I put coconut oil and teatree mixture in an eye dropper to drop in their ears. Will both be necessary?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!

• LBJ10
        16994 posts Send Private Message

Are you sure they have ear mites? Dandruff is normally associated with fur mites. Do they have crusts in their ears? Black “specks” way down in the ear would be more early stages. Your vet should be able to properly prescribe something, even if they are doubtful that it’s ear mites. With topical treatments, there’s no harm done if it turns out not to be mites.

We would need to know more information to help you with topical ivermectin dosage. What concentration is it? Was this something you purchased yourself or did the vet give it to you?

PSA – Do not use any products containing fipronil on your rabbit. Although effective against parasites, fipronil is toxic to rabbits and should be avoided.

• Zeus.Loopy
          Participant
          3 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for your reply.

As far as black specs inside the ears, they don’t seem to have them yet. Maybe they do but might be deeper inside the ear. No crusting happening yet. I do notice A LOT of dandruff And constantly scratching.

The bottle of ivermectin is 120ml for horses. That’s all it says on the box.

There is just so much dust and hair flying around, I have been so worried about spreading the larvae to other areas of the apartment.

• LBJ10
            16994 posts Send Private Message

Hmm… that isn’t very helpful because it doesn’t say how much ivermectin is actually in it. Assuming it is meant for horses, the concentration is probably high. You do not want to risk overdose. Would your vet be able to help you out with figuring out the correct dosage? Maybe they are familiar with the concentration of that particular formula. What about Revolution? You could ask your vet’s office for the kitten formula. That would be a lot easier to figure out the correct dosage.

Side note: Are you sure they aren’t just molting? My bunny will scratch his ears when he is molting because loose bits of fur will get in there and tickle his ears.

• Wick & Fable
              5806 posts Send Private Message

Cleaning the environment is an important component of ear mites treatment: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites#Ear_mites

I agree that reaching out to either the same vet or finding a different one for at least some informed guidance is necessary to ensure proper and safe tx. Here is a website w/ some various links that may help with finding an alternative vet: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Ear mites