Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dwarf lop or mini lop?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnie2020
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

Hi

So I’m a bit confused whether my bunny Reggie is a dwarf lop or mini lop, I’ve always said dwarf lop as I presumed they were the same but turns out they are similar just different in weight.

I looked at the paperwork and all it says is Male Lionhead lop.

I have uploaded pictures and videos of him, one of them (with a black border) is from when he was only about 12 weeks and he weighed about 1.3kg when he had his first vaccines. He is now 1 and im not sure how he weighs as I don’t have some scales he would sit on lol.

<video controls=”controls” width=”300″ height=”150″>
        <source src=”https://imgur.com/3va7DPf&#8221; /></video>

<video controls=”controls” width=”300″ height=”150″>
        <source src=”https://imgur.com/eTT6AEX&#8221; /></video>

[video width="1080" height="1920" mp4="https://binkybunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/20200430_140752_001-1.mp4"][/video]

[video width="1080" height="1920" mp4="https://binkybunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/20200430_140752_001.mp4"][/video]

• LBJ10
        16974 posts Send Private Message

Let’s see… the UK miniature lop is similar to the Holland lop in the US. From my understanding, the lion lop was created by crossing lionheads with UK miniature lops.

It’s confusing, because a UK dwarf lop is similar to a mini lop in the US… and ironically does not carry the dwarfism gene. So, if I’m understanding this correctly, then your bunny *should* have UK miniature lop in its bloodline. He may or may not be a true dwarf since UK miniature lops do carry the dwarfism gene. But anytime you have dwarfs, there will also be false some false dwarfs.

• Bunnie2020
          Participant

Thank you for the reply!!!

• Bunnie2020
            Participant

I weighed him by me standing on the scales and then holding him and deducting the weight, And he weighed about 2kg?

So would that class him as a dwarf?

• splotchesthebun
              Participant

Dwarf lops and Mini lops are very similar in appearance, size being the only real difference between the two. Dwarf lops are the larger of the two and may weigh as much as 2.5 kg. The smaller Mini lop has a maximum weight of 1.6 kg. Both varieties have a dense and soft coat and drooping ears.

(I got this from google)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjXy4PuidDpAhVyoHIEHeC4DoAQFjACegQIERAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.burkesbackyard.com.au%2Ffact-sheets%2Fpets%2Fpets-pet-care-native-animals%2Fdwarf-lop-and-mini-lop-rabbit%2F&usg=AOvVaw2r4K7xCxmaX6juirHOamXe

• LBJ10

I’m still going with UK mini lop because that is what a lion lop is supposed to be. Based on his weight and his appearance (face shape, etc.), I’m going to say false dwarf.

• splotchesthebun
                  Participant

😉 That also makes sense, LBJ10.

• Bunnie2020
                    Participant

So we are thinking a Mini lop

I just think he weighs a bit more than 1.6

• LBJ10

Yep, and a false dwarf UK mini lop is going to weigh a little more than the “standard” max weight for the breed. 🙂

Note: The word dwarf is being used here to refer to the presence of the dwarfism gene, which is what the UK mini lop carries. It shouldn’t be confused with using the word dwarf in a breed name (i.e. dwarf lop).

• Bunnie2020
                        Participant

So is he a dwarf mini lop haha,

I asked another forum page and I got told that he is a dwarf. Because of his face isn’t as flat as a mini lop. And because he is big compared to a mini lop.

So they said they think he is a cross bread of a dwarf lop with some lionhead

• Louiethebunny
                          Participant
                          603 posts Send Private Message

Whatever breed he is, he is VERY adorable!!

• LBJ10

If he is an actual lionlop, which is a breed recognized in the UK, then he would be a dwarf. NOTE: This breed is not recognized in the US. Like I said, a UK mini lop and a US mini lop are not the same breed. A UK mini lop carries the dwarfism gene, while US mini lop does not. Any dwarf breed can have false dwarf offspring. They are still “purebred”, they just didn’t inherit the dwarfism gene. So if your bunny is a little bigger and lacks some of the dwarfism characteristics, then I would assume he is a false dwarf. This doesn’t mean he isn’t the dwarf breed, it just means he doesn’t have the dwarfism gene.

Now, I could be completely wrong here and you are in the US. In which case, the lionlop is not a recognized breed. Breeders do produce “lionlops” by crossing lops with lionheads. The dwarf breed in the US is the Holland lop (which is very similar to the UK mini lop). This breed carries the dwarfism gene. The non-dwarf, but still small breed in the US is the US mini lop (very similar to the so-called dwarf lop in the UK). This breed does not carry the dwarfism gene.

Hopefully I am making sense here.

• LBJ10

“So is he a dwarf mini lop haha,
                                I asked another forum page and I got told that he is a dwarf. Because of his face isn’t as flat as a mini lop. And because he is big compared to a mini lop.
                                So they said they think he is a cross bread of a dwarf lop with some lionhead.”

To me, this suggests that they are referring to the UK dwarf lop. This breed does not carry the dwarfism gene (despite the name) and therefore, would have a more elongated face and heavier weight. A cross between a lionhead and a UK dwarf lop is another possible scenario here. In this scenario, he would have UK dwarf lop in him… but he would not be a true dwarf because this breed does not carry the dwarfism gene.

• Bunnie2020
                                Participant

Thanks for your reply. Very so confusing haha!!

Im going to say he is a dwarf lop haha ever so confusing!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dwarf lop or mini lop?