Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dutch or dwarf?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Oreobunn
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

I’ve had Moby since December 2013, so now he is grown up. When I got him at the pet store he had just arrived there with other bunnies and I’m pretty sure from the same place. He was in the pen with all of the dwarves and one of the person’s working there said that they were Netherland dwarves, so that’s what I used to think. He looks exactly like a Dutch but an adult Dutch is supposed to weigh 5 pounds and he only weighs about 2 and he’s not underweight. I don’t know much about how different breeds behave, but here is very affectionate to me. He gives me kisses and purrs when I touch his face. He’s very calm was well, even with being held, and he’s very energetic as well but also likes to hide and he’s very curious and trusting and loves playing with toys. Also, I noticed that his body shape is different from an actual Dutch, including his face.. it may seem like a silly question but I’m just not sure. Is there such thing as a mini Dutch? Because his body structure doesn’t perfectly match up with a Netherland dwarf bunny either.. could here possibly be a mix? Here are some pictures of him. I also notice that his coat is more thick/fluffy than what aDutch is supposed to have, he has stand up fur instead of flyback, and also the black covers more than just 50% of his body. He came in the same load of bunnies from a breeder that did Netherland dwarf bunnies. I’m sorry if this might be a “duh” question but I’m genuinely curious what he really is?

• Sr. Melangell
        Participant
        1708 posts Send Private Message

Could be a mini Dutch, half and half.

• Mikey
          Participant
          3186 posts Send Private Message

He could be a dutch dwarf It just means one or both of the parents carried the dwarf gene

• Azerane
            4688 posts Send Private Message

Hey there Your little Moby is a Netherland Dwarf. He has Dutch-like markings due to a gene called the Vienna gene. When blue-eyed whites are bred with other colours they produce coloured rabbits with white markings (sometimes in the Dutch pattern) and often with blue eyes

So he has no Dutch breed in him at all, but he certainly looks pretty close to pure Nethy to me.

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

Yes, ditto ^. lol.
                If you look up images of VM Netherland dwarfs, you’ll see it’s of buns just like Moby. Not all Vienna Marked rabbits get the pattern like his. Sometimes it’s just the blue eyes or white spot on the nose or one or more white “socks”.

He’s super cute!

• LBJ10
                16974 posts Send Private Message

He looks Nethie to me as well. I agree with Azerane, he’s likely Vienna marked. My reasoning for this is because he has bright blue eyes. Black Dutch bunnies would have brown eyes. Blue Dutch bunnies have blue-ish eyes, but they are generally more muted because this coloring is the result of black coloring combined with the dilute gene. And since he has also has all of the classic features of a Nethie, it’s more logical to assume he is a Vienna marked Nethie. The breeder was likely trying to make BEW Nethies and your bunny was one of the resulting offspring.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

btw the Vienna gene occurs in other breeds too. LBJ10 has a very cute VM jersey wooly.

• Oreobunn
                    Participant
                    8 posts Send Private Message

This explains quite a lot for me, thank you, all of you are very smart on this

• LBJ10
                      16974 posts Send Private Message

Jersey – yep, it’s hard to resist his cuteness.

BEW Nethies are highly desirable (from a breeding standpoint, since people like BEW rabbits), so it isn’t surprising to see Vienna marked Nethies floating around out there.

• Mari and Lilo bunny
                        Participant
                        75 posts Send Private Message

Definitely looks like a Netherlands dwarf! Might be a mix of a Dutch and dwarf! ?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dutch or dwarf?