Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Do bunnies behaviors change with the seasons?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ellen
      Participant
      37 posts Send Private Message

I was just curious to whether or not bunnies begin to behave different in the summer than they do the winter. I know animals like ferrets get chubbier and stock up during the winter months and lose the weight in the summer. Just wanted to know if there’s anything like that for bunnies? Weight, behavior, sleeping patterns?

• Bam
        16951 posts Send Private Message

Yes, rabbits are affected by amount of daylight. More daylight = less melatonin (sleep hormone), more sex hormones. Even desexed rabbits tend to get some sort of “March Hare Syndrome” this time of year in the Northern hemisphere. (Changes in temperature of course also affects their energy -they dont do much when its very warm).

• Wick & Fable
          5810 posts Send Private Message

Significant changes in weight is definitely not something you want to see — if this is present and change cannot be explained by diet, a rabbit should be assessed by a rabbit-experienced exotic veterinarian to assess what might be leading to weight changes.

Sleep patterns, especially for rabbits used to the environment and the owner, I personally find is more impacted by the owner’s routine, so if your routine (wake, sleep, feeding) changes as a result of the season, I think a rabbit’s would change as well.

Behavior wise, in tandem with owner routine changes, some people report a “spring” craze in especially male rabbits (fixed or not, I believe) where they get a bit more excited during the spring season. This can sometimes bring about some uncharacteristic humping/chasing in bonded pairs, though typically it is not enough to break the bond nor would be so severe as to cause injury (though always monitor if there is a risk).

That’s my perception!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
            9050 posts Send Private Message

I’ve got a house full of March hares right now! Everyone has gone mad!

LOL I exaggerate, but yes there are some behavior changes. Bun Jovi has been honking and mounting Myra again, Myra has been trying to destroy the couch again, and Cooper is just being EXTRA.

You will also likely see some molting happening! But I agree with Wick, there shouldn’t be any weight changes. That indicates a medical issue.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant
              766 posts Send Private Message

I see more changes related to molting than seasons… though molts are seasonal. Weight doesn’t change, but Dorian at least looks chubbier in the winter as he has a thicker coat.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Do bunnies behaviors change with the seasons?