Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Could this be a sign of rabbit ear mites?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • BinkyBun24
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

I am booking my rabbit into the vet for multiple other problems that she currently has and I found this patch of skin near her ear and it’s a bit hard and crusty with a lot of  dandruff looking things and I can’t tell if this could possibly be something I need to mention to my vet too as they said rabbits can get something called walking dandruff mites. Could someone give me their opinion on what this is please?
        <p style=”padding-left: 40px;”></p>

• LBJ10
        16994 posts Send Private Message

The picture looks more fur mite-ish. Regardless, the treatment would be the same – Either ivermectin or selamectin.

PSA – Just a little public service announcement. Although products containing fipronil (Frontline, etc.) are effective against mites, this ingredient is toxic to rabbits. Never use fipronil on rabbits.

• Cinnamon Bun
          Participant
          205 posts Send Private Message

Yes, it does look like fur mites. My vet told me to treat the crusty, dandruff spots on my bun with oridermyl. I’ve read the composition and it does not include fipronil. Has anyone heard of it? He is also on revolution for mites.

~♡

• BinkyBun24
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Okay, thank you so much for the help 🙂 </p>

• Bam
              16946 posts Send Private Message

Cinnamon Bun, Oridermyl contains permethrin, which is an anti-parasitic that’s not considered completely safe for rabbits. (On the other hand permethrin is a lot more toxic to cats, and this is a cat medicine, so cat owners are asked to be very cautious of signs of permethrin toxicity). Oridermyl also has an antifungal component (nystatin) and an antibiotic (neomycin).

• Cinnamon Bun
                Participant

Thanks, Bam! I have just looked into permethrin. My vet is rabbit-savvy so I trust her with my bun’s treatment… we only apply it topically in tiny amounts about one time a day. Why isn’t permethrin safe? Is it due to slight skin irritation? ♡

Also what about nystatin and neomycin? Are they safe on buns?

• Bam
                  16946 posts Send Private Message

Cinnamon Bun, I’m not sure why permethrin isnt considered safe. The slight skin irritation shouldnt be enouh to discourage the use of it, because it is highly effective against fur mites. I think its about suspected risk of it penetrating the blod-brain barrier (which is what fipronil does and the reason why fipronil is potentially deadly), but to my understanding that risk is low. If you vet is rabbit savvy Id not worry.

Nystatin and neomycin are rabbit appropriate.

• Cinnamon Bun
                    Participant

Okay, thanks a lot!

(´。• ᵕ •。`) ♡

• DanaNM
                      9047 posts Send Private Message

Regarding permethrin: I know my vet back in CA developed a procedure for using Vectra 3D for buns (with also contains permethrin). I think the concern is that it can cause skin burns if dosed incorrectly, but he was able to sort out a procedure that was safe for buns. Due to the risks, he only reserved its use for cases of rabbits that were at high risk of exposure to myxomatosis (basically buns housed outside), since the risks were less than the risks of getting myxo.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Could this be a sign of rabbit ear mites?