Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cool ears but….

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      446 posts Send Private Message

I’m worried about Thumper, when I touched his ears last night they were cold and as soon as I got up today I touched his ears again and they are a bit warmer than last night but still pretty cool. He’s still eating, drinking, using his litterbox (some poops are tiny but most are normal size), exploring and greeting me. He used to let me cuddle him but now he doesn’t want to be picked up and cuddled and it looks like he lost weight. Mom told me to keep a close eye on him but she’s still going to try and make an appointment for him on Friday when she and dad pick up Blossom’s ashes (if she’s there). Should I try to convince her to help me make an appointment sooner? Like I said he’s acting normal but his ears are a bit cool so I don’t know what to do. Sorry for the longer post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Bam
        16921 posts Send Private Message

Cool ears is not in itself a sign of illness. To know if he has a low temp you need to take a rectal temp. In a bun that is eating, pooping and acting normal, cool ears can just mean the rabbit hasnt been moving around very much. Not moving around as much as usual can also explain the varying poop sizes.

Weight loss is more worrisome. It’d be good if you could weigh him in case he keeps loosing – unexplained weight loss is never normal in a bun that isnt very old, and he isnt very old.

It sounds like a good idea to have him sden by a vet on Friday. Sooner if he stops eating.

It could be that the loss of Blossom is temporarily making him a bit less cuddly. My Snöa was rather withdrawn for a few days after she lost her husbun. Even if Thumper and Blossom weren’t bonded, they lived near each other. He knows she’s not there anymore, and he knows you are sad and upset.

Here is a good video on how to take a rabbits temperature, in case you want to do that. It’s not very difficult if you have a fast thermometer and someone who can help you hold the bun. I’ve found this video very helpful when I’ve needed to take a buns temp:

https://youtu.be/YZd10Hk0maA?si=gq7PlTKs92mhz23Z

• DanaNM
          9024 posts Send Private Message

I agree the weight loss is concerning. I would try to get him seen. In the meantime, can you offer him some supplemental feeding like critical care or pellet mash? That may help with small poops and his weight loss. Some tummy rubs may also help if he’s having a bit of gut slowing.

I think with poorly buns, especially those that are grieving, it’s important to “fuss” over them. Spent lots of time with him, offer him favorite healthy foods (herbs, hand feeding hay, critical care), encourage him to play with toys and move around.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• BunnyLass568
            Participant
            446 posts Send Private Message

Thumper has a vet appointment on Monday, it’s the earliest they can get us in. My mom tried to get us in tonight or tomorrow but there’s no openings

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Bam
              16921 posts Send Private Message

Great that you have an appt for him! How is he doing now?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cool ears but….