Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Clover- Good or Bad?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • bartandmilhouse
      Participant
      48 posts Send Private Message

Is clover bad for rabbits? I had thought it was okay because it is on House Rabbit Society’s list of what to feed your rabbit, but someone just told me they plant clover to keep rabbits AWAY. I found that odd, so I googled rabbits and clover. The first result was that they should not eat it because rabbits can’t pass gas, and clover causes gas. What do you all think?

• Bam
        16951 posts Send Private Message

First of all, rabbits can and do pass gas. What they can’t is vomit and they might not be able to burp. This is because of their very narrow passage between the esophagus and the stomach. Horses are the same way.

Clover is fine in small amounts. It’s a legume and belongs to the same plant family as alfalfa. As I’m sure you know, alfalfa isn’t suitable for adult buns except as a treat. The same goes for clover.

Different buns have different tolerance to different things though, so start with just a few leaves or flowers and watch the poop (really the same as we do when we introduce any new food to a bun).

• LBJ10
          16999 posts Send Private Message

Clover is safe, but high in protein. It’s a legume. So I would only give it as a treat or “hay topper”.

• Gina.Jenny
            Participant
            2244 posts Send Private Message

My back garden is full of clover, and the buns eat it, along with the grass. Jenny is especially fond of the stuff, no way would it keep her away, quite the opposite. However, my buns mainly eat hay and grass, with a portion or two of green leafy veg and their tiny portion of select science pellets each day is generally their daily treat, so it is probably the richest part of their diet. It is limited by the fact it can only grow so fast, and with six buns and one guinea pig all wanting their share, no bun gets too much!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Clover- Good or Bad?