Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cataracts surgery for bunnies?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • prince dorian the bun
      Participant
      767 posts Send Private Message

I am sadly at the vets again, this time with Miu. I suspect its gas, she was in a lot of pain and not eating. Luckily she doesn’t seem to bad, but I didn’t want to risk it. Right now waiting for blood work and hoping I can take her home soon.

During the initial exam the vet mentioned she had cataracts,  which we suspected,  but figured nothing could really be done. But she said it might be possible to operate and remove it.  Anyone heard of this being successful? It would be great if they could do it!

• LBJ10
        17016 posts Send Private Message

What kind of cataract is it? Front or back? Also, cataracts can be caused by EC so you may want to take that into consideration.

• prince dorian the bun
          Participant

They suggested getting her tested for EC, which I am considering, though test from my reading are often inconclusive and as she gas no other clinical signs not sure if treatmenteven makes sense (at leastbased on my currentreading) . I suspect if it is the cause she had exposure in the womb. Making sure her immune system stays strong seems to be the best course of action. They didn’t specify front or back, never heard of it described that way before? Vet says she still has decent peripheral vision. She has had it since I got her at 6 months old and likely earlier, especially in her darker eye (she has heterochromia).

• LBJ10

Haha! Sorry, anterior and posterior.

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Omg, just realized how many typos I had, so sorry! And sorry she didn’t specify.  Just said it was affecting her forward vision most likely. She has decent side (peripheral) vision. She does better than Dorian running full speed into their tunnels and through gaps,  so she’s able to see well enough to be a active happy bun right now. I just want to be prepared for future if there are options.</p>

• LBJ10

Hmm… yeah, there would definitely be a cost-benefit analysis involved. As long as the cataracts doesn’t progress too far, bunnies can live a decent life without being able to see very well. Hypermature cataracts, however, can be very painful. The problem is cataracts surgery doesn’t do anything to restore vision if the retina is also damaged.

EC typically manifests as anterior chamber uveitis and cataracts. Posterior is usually genetics/old age/other causes… but not always.

• prince dorian the bun
                  Participant

Oh that’s helpful to know.  I might make an appointment with an ophthalmologist and see what they say.  It’s been a very expensive couple of vet months so probably not this year unless she somehow seems worse (vision or pain) . Right now she’s been a very happy little bun and she gets very stressed about cars and vet visits,  so also don’t want to traumatize her. Thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cataracts surgery for bunnies?