Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A cardboard?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ashelee
      Participant
      110 posts Send Private Message

ok so just wondering, Loki LOVES playing with cardboard boxes and such. but she also like to tear them and eat the cardboard. Is this bad for her?

• Monkeybun
        Participant
        10479 posts Send Private Message

As long as she isn’t eating TOO much of it, it shouldn’t be too bad. Keep an eye of her consumption, and if she’s shredding too much and eating it, maybe remove the shreds periodically. Then she can still have fun, but won’t be eating too much of it.

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Just be careful about what was stored in the box beforehand. Also, don’t give them waxed cardboard. Otherwise, it’s a cheap and easy thing to keep them occupied.

• Ashelee
            Participant

ok! I was worried!I gave her a toilet paper roll and the next day it was gone! haha

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know why there is a big difference in some paper and toilet paper rolls, but I have found some have these little glue areas and for the most part they are thin or almost non-existent, while others seem to have heavier/thicker dried glue lines.  Those I avoid, but otherwise toilet paper rolls and papertowel rolls are a great toy.  At SaveABunny, they put a hay in the rolls and called them hay bombs.  It was a great economical way to offer the bunnies some chew toys.  

Cardboard is generally safe as it digests just fine, but like Jersey said you do have to watch for what was stored in the box (as some boxes are lightly sprayed with pesticides if they carry certain foods and of course waxes, and paper/boxes that have lots of print, you’d have to watch for.

For more info on cardboard/paper safety, I found this from one of Dana Krempels (allexperts.com) answers: 

“As long as the paper and cardboard have no print containing heavy metals (as many colored inks do), there is no harm in your bunny eating it.  Paper is made of cellulose, which is digestible to rabbits.”

FULL RESPONSE: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/eating-paper-2.htm

.Now obviously, if you bunny fills up on paper in place of a healthy diet, then that would be a problem and you’d have to cut back on his cardboard toys.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

A friends dog at work was losing weight it was eating so much tp (not the role ,the paper) but yes-non toxic generally safe; but be smart about how much you allow them to eat I would assume if they are eating a lot-it’s maybe time to step up hay, maybe they are hungry

• Quantum
                  Participant
                  286 posts Send Private Message

Also keep an eye on the area where Loki’s working on his cardboard. It seemed like Bean was going through a lot of tubes, but I found he was dragging them off, out of the way. When I found his stash, there was a sizable pile of little cardboard half-moons; he wasn’t actually eating any of them, just nipping off one little bunny-bite at a time and dropping it. We should’ve named him, “Shredder”.

• Monkeybun
                    Participant

Quantum, thats just funny. Just chewing them into little pieces and making a pile hehe.

• RabbitPam
                      11002 posts Send Private Message

He’s recycling it into litter.

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

Posted By RabbitPam on 12/05/2009 03:03 PM
                          He’s recycling it into litter.

HAHHAHAHA!!  

• RabbitPam
                          11002 posts Send Private Message

You know, if he likes cardboard that much, I’d give him a phone book to shred too. I am concerned about the inks, and we know for sure that the ink in phone books is soy-based, so it’s fine for bunnies to ingest a bit. He might want something to garnish his pile with, like yellow pages.

• Monkeybun
                            Participant

Posted By RabbitPam on 12/06/2009 04:46 AM
                              He might want something to garnish his pile with, like yellow pages.

Or white pages, or blue pages, or red pages…

• TheBunnyGirl
                              Participant
                              75 posts Send Private Message

My bunny buttons eats paper and scrunches it up into little balls, so it should be ok

• blackfang
                                Participant
                                392 posts Send Private Message

As long your bunny don’t eat too many cardboard pieces.

Make sure your cardboard boxes don’t have many ink print otherwise, ink print are poisons to bunnies.

• Ashelee
                                  Participant

ok! thanks guys! Today I used the TP roll and stuffed hay inside of it for her! she loves it! And no she isnt putting it anywhere. She doesnt have full range of the house, she is either in her cage or in an ex-pen when out because of the dogs (they seem fine with her when she is in the ex-pen but right now I dont want to test it…even though she LOVES going up to them when inside the ex-pen! lol)

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A cardboard?