Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny mysteriously died during spay

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Coreen
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

A few days ago my beloved bunny, Brenda died during her spay. She was almost exactly one year old and appeared perfectly healthy and super active. The vet did a bunch of blood tests before the spay and they came back normal except for a ‘mild increase in LE’s’, which the vet said was common and not an issue. Right after the surgery, the vet called us and said that she had a lot of hemorrhaging, which they stopped by ligating vessels but that blood was not perfusing her back end and she was ‘paralyzed’ back there after the surgery. They gave us the choice to go back in and try to get blood flowing again. They went back in and they could not get it flowing so we made the painful decision to have her euthanized.

Yesterday we spoke to the vet to try to understand exactly what happened. She seemed to want to leave the level of detail at- she hemorrhaged and blood stopped flowing to her back end. We pressed her and said that we were confused because the only major blood supply to the back of the body is the dorsal aorta. She said- yes, she hemorrhaged from the doral aorta. I asked how that was possible because I didn’t think they would be anywhere near that deep (dorsal) in her body. She said that Brenda’s blood vessels were extremely ‘friable’. A touch with a blunt probe caused multiple vessels to rupture and that she had not seen anything like it in her 25 years as a small animal vet.

We received her surgical records right around the same time as the phone call with the vet (so she had completed them before she spoke to us). In the records, it says that when they went back in to try to get blood flowing to her back end they “Identified the ligated vessel, caudal vena cava”. It also said that in the spay, massive hemorrhaging started when they ‘maneuvered’ a clamp.

Our vet seems to be suggesting that the vena cava, one of the biggest veins in the body, just burst at the slightest touch. Does anyone know if this makes sense? I’ve done small mammal dissections before and I remember those large arteries and veins being quite rubbery. If my bunny was weird and had extremely fragile veins, wouldn’t it have manifested in some illness before this? She was extremely active- frequently jumping feet in the air and it was a full-on wrestling match to ever pick her up. I’m also a little suspicious that when I said ‘dorsal aorta’ she just agreed with me that that was the blood vessel in question even though she had just written vena cava in her report. Perhaps she was just flustered and didn’t expect to be asked for this detail of what happened.

I am not interested in any form of retribution if this vet screwed up. I just want to know what happened to my bunny. I suspect that they slipped or misidentified the vena cava as something they should have cut and then there was no fixing it and she just doesn’t want to tell us this. But could Brenda have just had ‘extremely friable’ blood vessels? I know that rabbits are delicate and spays are riskier, and perhaps moreso on a one year old bunny but this doesn’t make that much sense to me. Would anyone have insight into this?

Thank you for your time,

Coreen

• Bam
        16957 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry about your bun.

A former member here had a bun, Kuro, who had weird blood vessels. He had several health issues, and the vets didnt recommend neutering him. When he had acute abdominal surgery for a blockage, the vein in the ear where the IV canula was put (they often put a canula there in case the bun needs rapid resuscitation during surgery) was destroyed so he lost his ear, it fell off after a cpl of weeks (dry necrosis). He got another blockage some 2 years later but didnt survive a second abdominal surgery. He also had unusual dental issues, some type of periodontitis.

Just as you say, the big arteries are thick and rubbery. But if there is some sort of (congenital) connective tissue abnormality, the vessels could probably be brittle.

I’m very sorry you lost her.

• LBJ10
          17012 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes, I remember Kuro. He had a tough time for sure. Obviously, we have no way of know what truly happened to your bunny. But Bam is correct that there are congenital abnormalities or defects that can cause something like this.

I’m very sorry for your loss. I’m sure it was a shock.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny mysteriously died during spay