Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny has excess urine?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • tbunnie
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

Hi, today I’ve noticed my 7-month old bunny has been peeing and drinking water a lot more frequently. I clean her litter box every night, and about 14 hours later, she already peed more than she would have in a regular 24 hours. She peed twice within the last hour, and both times the pee was unusually clear, but it normally has a yellow tint to it. She has been eating and pooping normally.

She got spayed 2-3 weeks ago, and is going in for a second vaccination at the vet in 3 days.  I’ve done a little bit of research, and could this be polyuria and polydipsia? If this is the case, is it dangerous and urgent? Or would it be okay to wait 3 days and then bring it up when she goes vet?

(I am not sure if this is related to my concern above or not, but I’m adding this just to be sure: An hour ago, she was also quickly moving and looking around in a small area, then almost laying down (kind of stretching out her body close to the floor, but not laying her belly on down), then would quickly get back up, move to a different spot, and try to “lie” down again. It was almost like she was scared or uncomfortable.)

• tbunnie
        Participant

I forgot to add this, but yesterday morning I found a bit of ripped up plastic from a plastic sheet that we use to protect the carpet. I’m not sure if she ingested any bits, so I was wondering if that would could be an internal cause of the problem above.

• LBJ10
          16994 posts Send Private Message

The behavior you described sounds like belly pain. But that may or may not be related the the excessive peeing.

• tbunnie
              Participant

She’s drinking a lot of water, still quite a bit more than she previously did (before I noticed excess peeing). Does excess drinking pose a problem especially when she’s peeing more often too?

• tbunnie
                Participant

Also, is rabbit pee supposed to smell? Recently her pee hasn’t been smelling like anything

• Bam
                16946 posts Send Private Message

Your rabbit’s pee is diluted because she drinks so much. That means it has very little smell. Rabbit pee typically doesnt stink though.

Polydipsia and polyuria just means excess drinking and peeing, it doesnt say anything about the cause.

I think you should mention this to your vet, it is important that a bun isnt unwell when it gets vaccinated. Otherwise the body might not be able to mount a sufficient immune response to the vaccine.

How is her appetite and poop?

• tbunnie
                    Participant

She has been both eating and pooping normally. I do think she has been eating hay a little more frequently due to how many times she goes to the litter box to pee

• Bam
                    16946 posts Send Private Message

That is a very good sign!

Hopefully this is just something minor. I still think you should mention it when you take her in for her jab. It’d be grest if you could measure how much she drinks/24 hours, so you have actual numbers to show your vet. Measure up her water at night, then measure whats left in the morning and write it down. Measure again rhe water you give and measure whats left in the evening. Its always good to have real numbers rather than a rough estimate.

I have a “diary” for my bun, where I write down stuff like vaccinations, weight, dates of nail clippings, start of big moults and if Ive given her gas drops or other meds. It doesnt take a lot of time and it can be really helpful in the long run.

• tbunnie
                        Participant

This is a great tip! Thank you so much!

• GlennTheLionhead
                        Participant
                        369 posts Send Private Message

Hey!

It is good that you are seeing your vet soon, I would mention this to them.

Your bun is quite young so im not sure how likely this is but sometimes belly pressing when seen with frequent drinking and urination can be related to rabbit cystitis, sometimes brought on by UTIs but not always. It is essentially inflammation of the bladder lining.

It is a fairly easily treatable condition but can be quite hard to diagnose. It could be worth mentioning to help rule out some issues 🙂

• Felicity0118
                          Participant
                          31 posts Send Private Message

Hiya

apologies on a bit of a crusade as I didn’t consider EC. I got my bunny about a year and a half ago and he always drank loads! Recently (5 months – I should’ve done something sooner 🙁 ) he’s been  peeing outside of his litter box but is overall very healthy so I didn’t think much of it, but it’s got worse so I took him to the vet yesterday and he had a seizure. It turns out that it’s very likely that he’s now got active EC so I just highly recommend looking at anti-parasitic treatment If you haven’t done so already 🙂

• DanaNM
                            9047 posts Send Private Message

Hi Felicity0118, this is a very old thread so the OP is unlikely to see this reply. We ask that members don’t reply to old threads for that reason, so I’ll be locking this thread now.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • The topic ‘Bunny has excess urine?’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny has excess urine?