Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny had weird spook middle of the night

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • CutieMoosh
      Participant
      27 posts Send Private Message

Hi there! My roughly two year old bunny had a really dangerous, scary spook last night. Pretty much ever since we’ve had him, we would put him in his cage during the middle of the night. He doesn’t mind it at all, since it’s the size of a large rabbit playpen.

In the middle of the night, a couple hours after we put him in, he started running all over the cage. He managed to break off one panel and escaped, but was now running all over the room. His mouth got a tiny cut, about the size of half a grain of rice. Don’t think it was bleeding.

He’s acting fine right now. He’s eating, playing, giving me kisses, and running around normally. I think he might’ve heard a siren, but I’m not sure. Is he okay?

Thank you!

• CutieMoosh
        Participant

Sorry just to clarify; the running was because he was scared. After he came out of cage, he was still spooked and was running everywhere out of fear.

• Bam
          16951 posts Send Private Message

Just keep observing him. A spook in the middle of the night is quite common with rabbits. They hear frequences we cant hear, they pick up on scents we have no chance of picking up on. There’s nothing supernatural or weird about it, it’s just how rabbits function.

Rabbits can however hurt themselves if/when they panick. They can hurt a limb or a claw etc. All you can do is to try to observe your bun to notice if there’s a limp or a wound etc, and if there is, treat it.

There’s no telling what it was that spooked him, because our human senses are not at all as acute as a rabbit’s are. The important thing now is that he’s calmed down, is eating and showing you affection. His reaction was appropriate, because he was perceiving a threat -that he’s calmed down now when his humans are around and the threat is gone is appropriate too.

I have had similar things happen with every youngish bun I’ve had. It’s scary for the human, but it doesnt mean there’s sth really wrong. I always do the treat test -offer a very yummy, rare, treat, like a sunflower seed or pumpkin seed. If the bun takes it, the likelihood that it’ll be just fine is high.

• CutieMoosh
            Participant

Thank you so much! You always have great answers! Will keep in mind, thank you again!!!

• Bam
              16951 posts Send Private Message

Thank you!

I think it’s fully normal and nothing to worry about. As always, keep an eye on appetite and poop -of course 😃

It’s good that your bun has an enclosure to spend the night in. It’s generally beneficial for buns to spend part of their time in a (good-sized) cage or enclosure. That way they get to be in environment that they feel in control of. You can gradually and slowly expand this area, if and when you and your bun feel it’s time.

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                Blocked
                103 posts Send Private Message

Also rabbits are pray animals so when they hear certain noises there wild instincts kick in.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bunny had weird spook middle of the night