Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny eye injury

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • MaddieRabbits
      Participant
      90 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone and merry Christmas! I’m new here and sadly my first post won’t be a very positive one as I’ve come based upon a health related question. On Christmas eve when I went to feed my rabbit and house my new one I noticed that he had something wrong with his eye so I picked him up and took a closer look (the rabbits have not met as neither are neutered and if his eye becomes infected I don’t want it to spread to Velvet). His pupil appeared very white and cloudy, with blood underneath the surface. To me this seemed extremely serious so I immediately called the vets and they weren’t open due to it being Christmas however I know some of the staff personally and they were able to talk to me over the phone and advised me to put an ointment on his eye. I went to the vets and showed them the photos and they said due to the fact his eye isn’t really weeping and it isn’t protuding it is most likely a surface injury, such as a scratch so they have given me Maxitrol eyedrops that I have to give him two drops twice a day. His behaviour seems perfectly fine, he’s bouncing around, eating, drinking, using the toilet etc. as normal and he seems very responsive to light in the injured eye, however I can’t help but be worried. I know eye injuries tend to look a lot worse than they are it’s just really worrying me because there is no obvious reason as to why he may have injured his eye and my previous rabbit struggled with a parasite. I know I sound like a paranoid mum but all I can do for the next week is carry on with his medication and in the mean time I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything similar? I’ve attached the photos I took, thank you!

• LBJ10
        16977 posts Send Private Message

Yes, eye injuries can look a lot nastier than they actually are. I would have it looked at though since there is some blood. It could be a little more than a superficial abrasion. Antibiotic eye drops are usually the way to go, plus pain relief. It doesn’t appear to be bothering him too much though since it doesn’t look like his eye has been watering or anything.

• MaddieRabbits
          Participant
          90 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for your reply! He will have been on his eyedrops for a week tomorrow so after that I aim to take him to the vets to just make sure he’s healing well.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

Poor little bun. Let us know what the vet says.

• LBJ10
              16977 posts Send Private Message

Yes, keep us updated. I hope his eye is doing better.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny eye injury