Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunnies or Cats??

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Inaya
      Participant
      18 posts Send Private Message

Hi!

I’m trying to decide on whether I should adopt a bunny or a cat! I have petsat both before, but I feel like I haven’t spent enough time with a variety of different ones to really understand how they’re personalities vary.

For any of you guys with both, which ones are more playful/ attention seeking? I know cats are much more cuddly, but I’m afraid they sleep much more, and I really want a very clingy pet ( I know it depends on the individual animal too, but I kind of want an idea.) I would also maybe like an idea on their differences and what to expect from both?

Like what are some major differences that you guys think would set them apart?

From what I experienced, bunnies are much clingier and follow u around, while cats spend most of their time alone but when they do want you they have the cutest cuddles ever.

Thanks so much for everything!

• Wick & Fable
        5812 posts Send Private Message

Caring for a cat versus a rabbit are two very different things — rather than outlining the differences, simply put, if you want a pet who is “clingy” and most likely to bond with you, I recommend a cat. Cats have been domesticated much longer and are more likely to bond to you, predator to predator, rather than a rabbit. Prey animals (like rabbits) have a very different dynamic and relationship w/ their human owners than predator (like dogs and cats) do. Also, I would argue pet rabbits are much more work and expensive than cats.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Deciding_on_a_rabbit

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Inaya
          Participant

Thanks so much, this helped a lot! I don’t mind the extra work or expenses for bunnies,  but I am leaning towards maybe getting a cat. I’ve kept many small animals before and I really enjoy the whole bonding experience with prey animals and how special it is, but I think I might want to experience a new type of bond with a cat, in a way.

Thank you!

• LBJ10
            17012 posts Send Private Message

Not all cats are cuddly, that’s for sure. But there are a lot that are quite loving. I had a very sweet kitty that absolutely loved to held and petted. We had a grumpy cat when I was a kid though and he wasn’t too keen on cuddles. So cats definitely vary in personalities. I do agree with Wick though, that predator/predator bond can be quite special. And a lot of cats really are cuddly. I’d say it is more likely you’ll get a cuddly cat vs. a cuddly bunny. Super cuddly bunnies are rather rare.

• Inaya
                Participant

Thanks so much! Yes I agree, I don’t exactly need a cuddly pet I just want a companion that’ll want to spend time with me, so I think cats might be a better chance. But even if they’re not affectionate, its okay I’ll still love them!

• DanaNM
                9050 posts Send Private Message

I have both! My experience is that all bunnies and all cats are different, but more of my cats have been cuddly, if that makes sense? It feels very special to be trusted by a rabbit, but in most cases they don’t like to be held or on your lap. Most rabbits like to be on the ground near you and get pets that way. Sometimes it can take them a very long time to trust you, and some of them may not ever really come to you for affection. Cats get kind of a bad rap for not being affectionate, but I haven’t found that to be true at all, they just don’t always like strangers.

Meeting rabbits (and cats) at a shelter will give you a better idea of their personalities, but most animals don’t show their true personalities in shelters so even a shy bun may really come out of their shell once they are in a safe home. Same is true for cats, I currently have two senior cats that I adopted about a year ago. One of them was sooooo scared when we first brought her home and is now super clingy and a love bug, so giving them time to settle in is important for both species. The other cat was more brave at first and definitely likes us, but isn’t cuddly.

Cats tend to be active when you’re active. They do sleep a lot, but that’s usually timed to when you are at work or asleep (and they may sleep with you during that time). And nothing wrong with a cat sleeping on your lap!

My experience is also that bunnies are more work than a cat, but less than a dog. Vet care and finding a trusted pet sitter can be a bit challenging for rabbits. Even finding basic supplies is more challenging for rabbits (nearly all regular grocery stores sell cat food, but none of them sell hay!).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Inaya
                    Participant

Yes, I totally agree with you! Thank you so much! I do feel like cats would maybe be better for me currently, and I might adopt a kitten now!

• Em
                    Participant
                    84 posts Send Private Message

They are not even comparable.

I have two cats & I’ve had a group of 4 rabbits; currently just the one rabbit of the group left. Neither of my cats are the same, and every single one of my rabbits had totally different personalities.

all are a lot of work: both ideally should have company of their same species. For cats, outdoor cats are not safe, so you must keep them indoors. Entertaining indoor cats so they stay fit and healthy is important as most cats are neglectfully overweight. Cats also should not be fed dry food, and so a high quality wet or raw diet can be expensive. As far as whether they are cuddly is the look of the draw. My two cats have totally different personalities: one will sleep st the end of your feet but never on your lap, and the other wants to be as close as possible to you whenever he can. But they are very much independent – everything is on their terms. Cats are also genetically prone to a lot of dental issues, so keeping up with dental hygiene in cats is very important – oftentimes some cats regardless of how often you brush their teeth need regular dental cleans anyway, which aren’t cheap. In terms of sleeping a lot; one of my cats is always asleep except when he’s screaming at your face at 4.30am for his breakfast. My other boy never sleeps, and is constantly bouncing off the walls. Both mine are young too, so has nothing to do with age – the cat who is always asleep is only 2 years old, and the other guy who is always bouncing off my walls just turned 1. One thing that’s important is to not overlook the destruction cats are capable of – they will ruin your furniture and on that note, they like to jump up on your counters. If you like plants, you have to be very careful as cats will chew your house plants and you must be careful that they aren’t toxic. If you like getting a real Christmas tree, say goodbye to this with cats – not only will they climb it, but Christmas trees are toxic to cats. These are all things you must consider as many people rehome their cats for simply being cats. They cannot be trained to not scratch and to not jump – that’s just how cats are.

rabbits are similarly a lot of work. They are a lot more medically fragile than cats. Likewise they need same species companion ship and as a whole they generally do not like being picked up and cuddled, but all of mine love a head rub and their ears massaged when they have four feet planted on the ground. They are expensive to feed like cats as they need a lot of fresh food in their diet and go through a lot of hay, herbs, and they poop a lot so go through a lot of litter. They also are pretty destructive so they go through a lot of chewing toys and cardboard. This destructive nature is obviously not off limits to your cables and baseboards and likewise, you must be careful with that you have around them. They do also sleep a lot but they are equally full of energy.

consider the lifespan of both species too – rabbits live on average 10-12 years, and cats can live up to 20 years. My oldest cat was 22. So the commitment is no joke.

but yeah, neither of my cats are like each other and neither are like my rabbit, so I can’t really compare.

• Inaya
                        Participant

Thank you so much! That was a lot of info, just what I needed! I don’t quite need a cuddly animal, I just want to know which one will most likely want to accompany me and spend time with me. So I do think getting a cat may be better for me personally. But I also have to consider the fact that I’m vegetarian, so I might want to get a bunny. But honestly they don’t have to be cuddly I’ll love them however they are. But thanks so much!

• LBJ10

Yes, cats are true carnivores. They can’t not eat meat. They can develop serious medical problems and deficiencies if not given a proper diet. So if you are not comfortable feeding them what they need, then they may not be a good pet for you.

• Inaya
                            Participant

I just saw this, sorry for the late reply! Yes, I am aware, I was a bit cautious at first, but now I volunteer and feed cats meat very often, so I am totally okay with it! I think I’ll be getting a cat, as my uni plans have changed. Thank you!

• LBJ10

Thanks for the update! I think a cat is a excellent choice.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunnies or Cats??