Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunnies ate more than half of a Hersheys chocolate bar!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • BelozerskyBunnies
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

So, I have 5 rabbits. 2 of them are currently separated from the other three in my room. And today, I was cleaning the other three bunnies room from 10 to 3 PM. And only around 9 PM did I notice something. I had a 25 piece Hersheys chocolate bar up on my dresser. Now, my dresser is quite high. And they usually keep to themselves when it comes to my dresser or my bed. But I found they had jumped up, snatched it, and chowed down on it underneath my bed while I had been cleaning. They had eaten a concerning amount.

One of them, named Powder, has stolen and eaten chocolate before. But it had only been chocolate chips from a chewy bar. So I’m unsure if I should be worried.

Now, I would take them both to the vet if I could. But I am a minor, and sadly do not have my license. So I’d rely on my guardians to take them. I told my mother that we should take them to the vet ASAP, but she said it wasn’t a big deal. But the amount consumed concerns me.

I’ve given them unlimited hay and water. But should I give them extra pellets in order to force it out of their system? Because they aren’t eating the hay when I refilled their hay feeder. Which they usually immediately devour upon it being refilled.

As of right now; both of them are sitting on the floor. Doing nothing in particular.

I know to watch out for seizures, diarrhea, lack of feces excretion, not eating or drinking, and overall looking miserable.

But are there any more tips I should be given in order to make sure they recover safely and quickly?

• Bam
        16946 posts Send Private Message

How are your buns doing now? Normally you’d see symptoms of theobromine poisoning within 6-12 hours.

This is a veterinary emergency. I cant recommend anything but a call to the vet and if they say to come in, you should go in.

The only thing you can do yourself at home is to make sure the rabbits are in a very calm environment. No people running around, no shouting or loud music etc. Give hay and water. Don’t chase them around. Theobromine puts great stress on the inner organs, especially the heart (and liver).

Milk chocolate is less bad than dark chocolate and baking chocolate, but it still has quite a bit of theobromine and caffeine.

If your buns survive the acute poisoning, they still might develop GI problems due to the high content of sugar and fat in the chocolate. That could become a medical emergency in itself.

• DanaNM
          9047 posts Send Private Message

I agree the amount is concerning, and chocolate is very dangerous for buns, but on the other hand there is very little actual chocolate in Hersheys milk chocolate (if it was just a standard type of hershey bar)… can you call the animal poison control line to have them advise?

If you are in the USA, here is the ASPCA poison control line:

“The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
            16994 posts Send Private Message

I moved this out of the Read Only section so people will see it.

I agree that there is very little actual chocolate in a regular Hershey milk chocolate bar. Also, rabbits (and mice and rats) need a higher dose than a cat or dog in order for it to be harmful. This is because they can metabolize theobromine much faster than a cat or dog. So it really depends on how much each rabbit ingested, how big they are, and what kind of chocolate it was.

As Dana stated, there is a animal poison control center that you can call. They should be able to calculate how much theobromine they actually ate and determine whether or not it is an emergency. Even if the chocolate doesn’t cause a reaction, all of that sugar could still make them sick.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunnies ate more than half of a Hersheys chocolate bar!