Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums BONDING Bonding Journal- Bun bun and Bunnie

This topic contains 133sd replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DanaNM 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 134 total)
  • Author

BunBun260
    Participant

So I forgot to time my session. I believe it was 50 mintues. I’m doing an hour tomorrow

-Bun Bun is asking less to be groom. Grooming her every time she ask.

-Bun Bun will sometimes look like he is chewing her fur when grooming her. Not sure if that makes sense but it’s the normal thing of their grooming. He sometimes does it in odd spots and I notice she will nip him lightly almost like she is telling him to stop or she doesn’t like that. He will back off or change areas.

– Bunnie still doesn’t really like him walking close to her. She off and on with it. Assuming that will change once she trusts him more.

-Bun Bun literally hopped over her to get pass her (even through he could have walked around)

– they groom themselves in front of each other for awhile.

-exploring bonding space

-lots of sitting and doing nothing.

BunBun260
    Participant

This session was an hour, and a pretty good one! I have a few photos I’ll post later of the session

1 hour:

-they explored the bonding area, I’m allowing them a larger area. They are getting use it still.

-Bun Bun groomed her, he didn’t request at all at first.

-they went on seprate sides of the area, Bunnie ended up running at him and ripped some fur out. I literally heard the ripping sound it was awful. But Bun Bun had no reaction to it, and groomed her afterwards. So all was good even though the sound was AWFUL! Lol

-Bun Bun starting asking to be groom. He would end up grooming her.

– I fed them a little bit away from each other, she ate in front of him. Later in the session I tried much closer to each other and she still ate.

– BUNNIE FLOPPED. It was pretty close to him. Not right next to him, but hey one step at a time.

– I decided I was going to stop my petting. Cause to be honest I’m probably the problem she hasn’t groom. I took the flop as a good sign that she isn’t just going to attack him randomly. Lol

– after this they went to request being groom. Bun bun was hardcore on not giving in this time. So here the thing, she didn’t nip him, it look like she was chewing his fur? I felt a little wetness afterwards too, not a lot. But he seem to enjoy it, so maybe she was kinda grooming? She kept doing that through every time he requested.

Session ended shortly after.

I think I’m getting there. I think I’ll do a few more hour session then increase the time. Might have to interfere with their excercise time a bit, but I guess this kinda counts as it, as it’s a large bonding area.

BunBun260
    Participant

This session was an hour, and a pretty good one! I have a few photos I’ll post later of the session

1 hour:

-they explored the bonding area, I’m allowing them a larger area. They are getting use it still.

-Bun Bun groomed her, he didn’t request at all at first.

-they went on seprate sides of the area, Bunnie ended up running at him and ripped some fur out. I literally heard the ripping sound it was awful. But Bun Bun had no reaction to it, and groomed her afterwards. So all was good even though the sound was AWFUL! Lol

-Bun Bun starting asking to be groom. He would end up grooming her.

– I fed them a little bit away from each other, she ate in front of him. Later in the session I tried much closer to each other and she still ate.

– BUNNIE FLOPPED. It was pretty close to him. Not right next to him, but hey one step at a time.

– I decided I was going to stop my petting. Cause to be honest I’m probably the problem she hasn’t groom. I took the flop as a good sign that she isn’t just going to attack him randomly. Lol

– after this they went to request being groom. Bun bun was hardcore on not giving in this time. So here the thing, she didn’t nip him, it look like she was chewing his fur? I felt a little wetness afterwards too, not a lot. But he seem to enjoy it, so maybe she was kinda grooming? She kept doing that through every time he requested.

Session ended shortly after.

I think I’m getting there. I think I’ll do a few more hour session then increase the time. Might have to interfere with their excercise time a bit, but I guess this kinda counts as it, as it’s a large bonding area.

DanaNM

It sounds like they are getting there and becoming more comfortable with each other! Keep up the good work!

BunBun260
    Participant

1 hour and 10 mintues

-Bun Bun is grooming less (he still grooms her every session) and asking to be groom more. It seems like he wants dominance really badly. Bunnie does that chew fur thing any time he ask, but will end up nipping him and making a grunt noise.

– I have stopped petting by a lot. The only time I pet is when Bun Bun shoves his head under her belly. I noticed she becomes very uncomfortable with that and tries nipping hard or pulling fur. She did pull fur one of the times he did this. He has been putting his head under her belly a lot lately

– they will now eat right next to each other. Only have tried pellets plan on trying lettuce soon.

– lots of exploring

– Bun Bun lays down, (belly facing floor, he isn’t exposing it) in front of her. He will groom her like this sometimes.

– last four minutes of the 1 hour she flopped against the wall. Bun bun saw this and flopped a bit away from her. Probably around 16 inches away from her. They stayed this way for 14 mintues. Which is why I went 10 mintues extra. I did not want to stop the session during this. I figured the longer they are flopped together the more comfortable they would feel. I stayed away from them during this. Kinda moved away and really let them just enjoy being flopped.

I was thinking of doing three hours this Saturday or Sunday. I kinda feel like they benefit and show the most improvement when kept longer together. However, I do not want to push it either. Let me know yours thoughts.

DanaNM

Sounds good! I think since they were relaxed at the end that increasing the session length is a good plan! Maybe aim for an hour and a half next, working up to 3 by the weekend?

Once you get past a couple hours, you can usually increase session length by larger chunks of time.

At this point it sounds like you have a good read on their behavior so if you think they are ready for longer sessions then you are probably right.

BunBun260
    Participant

February 18 session: 1 hour

-little grooming from bun bun; little nips from Bunnie

– this whole session was basically them flopped away from each other.

February 19 session: 1 hour 10 mintues

– session started with Bunnie being very forceful. Minute bun bun asked to be groomed she would nip or pull fur. At one point clapping did work and I had to move her because she nip so hard Bun bun reacted. I felt a little defeated after this.

– Bun Bun is grooming less and asking for grooms now. He will force his head under her

– they flopped away from each other for awhile .

-explored a bit and ate some pellets

-flopped again away from each other

– I ended up going an extra 10 mintues again with this session because they ended up relaxing gave to face with each other. His head under her and hers on top. No nipping. They sat relaxed like this for 20 mintues. I was happy to see this.

February 20: 1 hour 10 mintues

– session started with exploring

-the groom wars begun again. Bunnie once again pulling fur, not really nipping. Today it wasn’t as intense as yesterday.

-Bun bun groomed a little, he is still forcing his head under her.

-the grooming wars happened a lot more today.

-she only relaxed once, it wasn’t a flop but it was a relaxed sit. Bun bun did flopped tho

-I feel like I’m petting again because the amounts of fur she is pulling during groom wars. I’m unsure on how to calm that down

– I ended the session with a pile of pellets in the middle, i was shocked to see them eating face to face. They were even eating pellets that were under the other ones head or by the other ones feet. Bunnie was completely fine with this. As well as bun bun. I plan on feeding them their dinner together now

DanaNM

There can be a lot of back and forth as they decide who will do the grooming, etc. Eating and relaxing are all good signs. I would keep petting as you need to.

I can’t recall, have you done any stress sessions with them?

A change of scenery can also really help when things seem to get stuck.

BunBun260
    Participant

Well that makes me feel better that it’s expected. I have not done stress sessions, I was going to a while ago but they showed a lot of improvement and I also was changing bonding spaces so I held back on it. I have been thinking of doing a car ride soon. Even if they don’t get stressed by it, i feel comfortable enough to have them together during a car ride.

BunBun260
    Participant

Feb 21: 1 hour

-starting out with some good old grooming wars. None of them gave in. Light nips from Bunnie

-fed them lettuce and pellets. They ate perfectly fine face to face. Bunnie still wasn’t eating lettuce that close to him, but she did nibble a bit on it. She ate the pellets tho. Bun bun ate both. Once again they were comfortable eating near the other one food and head. No food stealing.

– exploring

– groom wars but this time bun bun gave in.

– Bun bun flopped much much closer to her. Maybe about 8 inches away from her. He did it so dramatically too! He almost rolled over because of how dramtic it was. I wish I got a photo of it lol! No flops from Bunnie but she was still laying down relaxed, just not exposed stomach.

– Bun bun groom her again when requested. He groomed a lot more this session.

-Bunnie is now getting braver of putting her head under his belly or near her. I have to pet her still, other wise she nips hard. But it was a light pet this time around

I’m only petting Bunnie when her head is near his stomach or bottom. I’m also petting during intense groom wars. I judge base off her eyes. I don’t pet every groom wars. Sometimes she has her eyes very relaxed and I noticed when this happens she doesn’t nip or pull fur. Other times she will have wide eyes and she always nips or pulls fur.

BunBun260
    Participant

Done a session everyday since my last post. Did a 2 hour session on Saturday. I included a hay pile, and a water bowl. Both of them did not get territorial over any of it. Bun bun drinked out the water she didn’t.

New things:

-dramtic flopping from both of them, they are flopping more near each other. It’s like they are slowing inching their way near each other. When one is flopped only the other is comfortable to go near the other one.

-Bun Bun will hop over her. Bunnie is okay with this but not okay with him walking close to her. She will pull fur. Not to sure why she is okay with other close interactions but not this.

– Bun Bun is still hardcore trying to be groomed by her. But today he was not doing it as much, instead he accepted her request more.

-they now eat right next to each other every session no problem. They do everything from eating under the other one head, no food stealing.

– lots and lots of flopping.

So I kinda feel like I’m at a small road bump, haven’t had to much change in the both of them. Was wondering if I should start added water bowls every session and mybe even toys or a litter box?

DanaNM

It sounds like they are making progress! Flopping near each other is a great sign. Soon they will be right next to each other… and then cuddling!

I would just keep up what you’re doing. I wouldn’t add a litter box yet, but could add some things to chew and a water bowl as sessions start getting longer.

Mine really appreciated things to occupy them in longer sessions when they started getting antsy (even hay stuffed in paper towel tubes and silly things like that).

If you add toys make sure they are brand new

BunBun260
    Participant

Sessions have been an hour. I had to skip Sunday session, I had cat problems to deal with.

New things:

Bunnie was requesting to be groom by bun bun and flopped during this. Bun bun was relaxed and laid out not showing his stomach tho.

Bun bun is grooming more after being requested but still not as much as Bunnie would like. The other day ago she waiting 15 mintues to be groomed by him, he was grooming himself at the time. After 15 mintues he was done and he decided to just walk off. Bunnie was angry at this and pulled a tuff of fur out and walked off. Bun bun didn’t react but he was thrown off by this. (To be fair I would be ticked too if I waited 15 mintues for someone lol!)

I introduced toys, which they both were okay with. None of them got terrotiorial about it. I had the water bowl out as well. They both drinked out of it, not together tho.

Bunnie is still hit and miss about him walking passed her. Some times she reacts other time she doesn’t

I’m still petting but backing off when ever I can and feel like she won’t react poorly.

They are eating next to each still.

DanaNM

It sounds like slow and steady progress (especially if you go back and read your earlier entries). Keep it up!

BunBun260
    Participant

I know I come a longggggg way. Considering I had them fight twice in the past and they are stilling willing to try and get along is good. But I still have that hope that I’ll throw them into a session and boom, mutual grooming and no fur pulling! Lol

Two hour session (broken up 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in afternoon)

Bunnie requested to be groom a lot, Bun Bun wouldn’t do it right away but he is grooming her a lot quicker. It’s only about 10-30 seconds before he gives in and grooms. It’s rare for him to denied her a groom.

Bunnie picks a chooses when she is comfortable with him walking near her. Sometimes she will try pulling fur sometime she won’t. I been using sound to tone this down a bit.

Bunnie flopped for a good half an hour as well as him. They were not near each other but with in eye sight. She was completely laid out, head laid down and all. I pretty sure she was actually sleeping. Bun bun was grooming himself a lot while being flopped.

They are good eating with each other, still no problems with that. Same with water bowl and toys. Bunnie is however peeing half way though long sessions. I don’t think it’s in a terrotiral way because it’s not every session, I think she just needs to go. But that hasn’t been fun to clean up.

Bun bun is super comfortable around her. He will stretch out right in front of her, walk up right against her, hop over her. I find it so funny how he could care less, meanwhile I’m freaking up she is going to pull fur! Cause she will and has! But he seriously could care less. I’m so conflicted if I should allow it or not. I feel like he should care more, but I’m also thankful he doesn’t.

I’m starting to pet less while she is requesting to be groom. Going to try again with getting rid of it. I am hoping to stress bond them soon, trying to find a good day to do it.

DanaNM

It sounds like they are ready for longer sessions. I like using puppy pee pads so there is easier clean up!

If the fur pull doesn’t escalate, it might be good to try allowing it and see what happens. A little fur yank isn’t a huge deal, but if it escalates to circling etc, then you should stop it. I think reducing the petting is also a good plan at this point!

BunBun260
    Participant

Spring break is next week for me, so I’ll be working mornings times (I work with kids) so I’ll have more time to bond rabbits. I hoping to spend 2-3 hours on it. I was also kinda wondering your thoughts of spending almost a whole day on it. Like 5-7 hours. I really don’t think they are going to fight, but I’m hoping the longer they are together the more they will work things out.

1 hour session:

Lots of grooming request. I am no longer petting only when nipping is starting to be to much. She did nip him at one point during the request to be groom and he responded by grooming her. So I was happy to see that communication

He groomed her for three mintues straight. After this he asked to be groom and then flopped right in front of her. Bunnie responded by grooming him for 15 seconds. I was excited to see this.

Lots of dramictic flopping from the both of them. Not right next to each other but near.

They ate lettuce together.

Bunnie tried to pull a good chunk of fur out I stopped this because it was under his stomach where she was heading to. She doesn’t like it when he stands up against the wall. She seems to get ticked off by this.

I’m pretty sure bun bun took her grooming as a sign she would be grooming him full time. Every groom request after that bun bun kept demanding it from her. She got ticked and nipped him a lot. Nothing serious tho, didn’t have to pet.

Ended the session with her flopped and him drinking water.

DanaNM

Sounds like a great session! Flops and reciprocal grooming are a big step!

BunBun260
    Participant

Did a 2 hour session, nothing really happened that was different. Had to miss yesterday didn’t have time.

Today session: 3 hours

I had hay on a plate for them, a water bowl, and toys.

Before I get started I want to say I am super proud of them and myself, I didn’t pet once. I did have to make a sound two times however, but did not let.

Lots of exploring, they are the hay like crazy. I put some fun treats in it and they enjoyed eating that next to each other

Lots of request to be groom. Bun bun goes to town with grooming. He likes to clean her ear for whatever reason. He bends her ear and grooms it to the point I can literally see the inside of her ear.

When she is grooming herself bun bun will ask to be groom now, twice this session she groomed him. It’s not for long, it’s still very short, but she will lick him on the head and ears.

I mistaken chewing of his fur for nipping, however she was just grooming him. I did make a sound and I REGRET doing that. Nothing bad happened when I did it, but it did stop it. I kidna felt bad, won’t do that again. She did lick him on the head once after this

Lots of flopping, still not next to each other but near.

They are now laying face to face tho. They faces will be touching and they will be laid out or flopped. Bun bun flops in front of her and grooms her/request to be groom.

She is more comfortable with him walking near her. She did nip once on his back foot when he walked next to her. Thought that was kinda rude but I didn’t stop this because he had no reaction and she walked off.

She MUCH more comfortable going next to him. She even kinda ran next to him. Not in a bad way in a fun running way.

There were many points of this session i was able to do something else (in the same room) and not have to have 24-7 eye sight on them. I was reading at one point and looked up to see him grooming her. Like I said I didn’t have to pet once. I let them do their thing. Very good session.

DanaNM

Oooh this is getting exciting! You might start noticing them getting a bit closer and closer every session.

BunBun260
    Participant

Today session was 2 hours and 18 mintues. It went well, but not as great as yesterday. I was left feeling a little disappointed and confused.

-Bunnie was so excited when I placed her into the bonding area she ran to Bun bun and instantly put her head down to be groom. Bun bun responded by grooming and then stopped after a second. Bunnie started nudging him a lot. Kept moving her head around. He wouldn’t groom. After 6 mintues of nudging and trying to get attention she nipped him. And this is basically how the rest of the grooming request went.

They ate fine next to each other

Bun bun flopped near her not next to her she flopped near but no next. No face to face flops.

Bunnie started nipping him a lot trying to get his attention with followed with bun bun giving her the bunny butt or walking off.

I have no idea what the problem is. I know their schedule was off today. I was in a rush to work this morning and didn’t feed them their lettuce at their normal time, I didn’t have enough time to mixed their special blend into their pellets, and I didn’t do my usual morning petting. When I got home Bun bun wrecked his cage, he usually does this when his schedule gets messed up. (He is the true diva bunny here). I’m wondering if that is why he was acted up today. Let me know your thoughts. I had to do some petting today and intervene on some of her nips.

Just to be sure it wasn’t the bonding area, I clean it after their session with vinegar. I had moved some old gate pieces in there last night and took them out before their session, Bunnie has also been peeing in this corner every session, which I have been cleaning but not with vinegar. I don’t know if that might have caused issues, but just in case I re-clean the bathroom.

Is it normal to be going back in forth like this? I’m not trying to put a timeline on the bonding these bunnies, but I do have college coming up in a few months and I hoping to have them bonded before then as I won’t have as much time. I’m also wondering if I should just camp out in the bathroom with them for about 7 hours or something.

DanaNM

Sometimes there can be off days. Sounds like Bun bun was throwing a fit, so that could def be it. Time of day can make a difference, and if you are feeling a bit stressed, they can pick up on that too. Do you notice they are better at the end of the session than at the beginning? If so, I would push for longer.

And, I can’t remember (sorry if I’ve asked this a million times), have you done any stressing? Car rides are seriously really helpful.

BunBun260
    Participant

I’m still trying to find time to do one. My schedule is crazy and honestly the longer these sessions get the more I’m pushing things back in my life such as studying for my exams, and personal time. Im still getting my own stuff done, but point is it’s already hard to fit sessions in. They session did get better towards the end but they were mostly resting. I think for good session I’m going to try to go longer. Like for example sessions like yesterday. I’ll try to stress bond next week.

BunBun260
    Participant

I’m starting to feel very defeated.

I did a session today it was about 2 hours. No flopping, barely any grooming, and bun bun will now walk away and thump at her when she requests to be groom. I’m not to sure what is going on. They are still okay eating next to each other, grooming in front of each other and he is still grooming her a bit. I’m very confused on what happened, advice would be helpful on what to do next.

DanaNM

They are communicating, sorting out the terms of their relationship. If they didn’t fight, it wasn’t a bad session.

That said, feel free to give yourself a break for a day or two. Bonding is stressful and exhausting.

Stressing can just be driving them around together for like 10 minutes. I really recommend trying it!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.