Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Blankets

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • auntie
      Participant
      95 posts Send Private Message

I just got my boys neutered a couple months ago and since then they have been climbing up on the top of their cage and they burrow themselves in the sheet and blanket that I use to cover their cages at night.

I know polar fleece is the safest but it’s super expensive.

I have old baby blankets which feels soft but the tag says it’s polyester.

any suggestions?

• DanaNM
        9047 posts Send Private Message

maybe just remove the blanket? Covering the cage at night is unnecessary.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• auntie
          Participant

My rabbits live on our porch which is enclosed. I only cover their cages at night during winter months. Because the porch is not heated and it has only screens in the windows.  I was just wondering if blankets are safe and if it can be none polar fleece

• Bam
            16946 posts Send Private Message

I dont think polar fleece is safer than any other fleece. It might be warmer though.

The reason we often use fleece for our buns is that it’s non-woven. That means it doesnt have long threads that the bun can swallow. Rabbits however dont like to swallow stuff that they havent chewed into small fragments first.

Rabbits cope well with cold as long as theyre protected from rain, snow and wind/draft, and have plenty of hay and/or straw to burrow in. Their hutch should be elevated off the grond by several inches. Stacks of newspaper between the ground and the hutch helps with insulation.

Rabbits kept outside should not live alone. Two rabbits that burrow down together in hay or straw can keep themselves comfortably warm down to like -10 C.

Their water must be exchanged at least twice per day in freezing temps. Use warm-tepid water.

• DanaNM
              9047 posts Send Private Message

Could you add some sheets of wood between them and the blankets? That would also add some insulation and protection from the wind. Potentially adding some plastic sheeting to the screens in the porch would also help.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
                16946 posts Send Private Message

Btw, fleece is typically made of polyester. There is cotton fleece, but polyester fleece is warmer and wont absorb moisture the way cotton typically does.

Wool is another option, sometimes you can buy used wool blankets cheap in charity shops etc. Give them a wash in 30 C and they’ll be very good for insulation. If they felt somewhat in the wash, it’s not a disadvantage, felting increases the insulatory properties.

• auntie
                  Participant

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I will try them. I just bought rabbit igloos from Chewy and they are ventilated. I have hay down for them in boxes that they lay in too.

I guess they just like to get under the blankets during the day.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Blankets