Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Baytril dosage for netherland dwarf

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • maxmo
      Participant
      43 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit has Bordatella and Pasteurella, so he was recently prescribed Baytril suspension orally. The vet said twice a day, but my rabbit is so small (3.5 pounds) that I’m afraid it would be too much for him. Also it’s difficult for him to take it because the flavor is so nasty. I’ve been doing once a day for these past couple days, but I don’t know if it’s still effective.

It says give 0.8 cc every 12 hours for 4 weeks. Then it says Baytril suspension (20 mg/ml, 30 ml) (6 mL). It says strength but no number or anything.

• maxmo
        Participant

Oh also I’ve been giving 0.6 cc once a day instead of 0.8 cc. I’m just so scared of antibiotics because he was on a different antibiotic in the past and had complete diarrhea 😭

• DanaNM
          9053 posts Send Private Message

You really need to be giving the medication at the dosage prescribed. To give less than your vet recommended risks causing antibiotic resistance, which would make the infection much much harder to treat.

If you have concerns about the amount this needs to be addressed with your vet.

Baytril is generally very well tolerated in rabbits and is known to be a safe antibiotic.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• maxmo
              Participant

Wait how does it cause antibiotic resistance?

• DanaNM

You can also ask your vet if the can compound the medication with a better flavor. My vet used to make up fruit flavored antibiotics for my buns.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• maxmo
                  Participant

I did and they don’t unfortunately. I wonder if they sell flavors OTC.

• DanaNM

You can try mixing with some mashed banana, that often works!

• maxmo
                      Participant

Ok thanks for the tip! do you pull in the banana first or the medicine?

• DanaNM

When you don’t give the full dose, some of the bacteria will survive that are naturally more resistant (just due to natural variation in their genes). Those bacteria go on to reproduce and take over.

• maxmo
                          Participant

I’ve been giving it once a day for about two days. That’s not enough to cause antibiotic resistance right?

• DanaNM

i don’t think so, but be sure to get back on the dosage that was prescribed, and let your vet know right away if symptoms get worse or haven’t resolved by the end of the course. You may need to ask for a bit more antibiotic, because you will want to give the full dose for the length of time prescribed. Since you used some of the medication at a lower dosage, those days should not count towards the total course of treatment.

• LBJ10
                            17016 posts Send Private Message

I agree. Based on the information you provided, the dosage the vet prescribed is within the recommended dosage range for Baytril. It is recommended that you stick with what your vet prescribed. Not giving enough of an antibiotic can prevent it from successfully clearing the infection. And, as Dana pointed out, it can encourage antibiotic resistance.

As for flavoring, you can try mixing it with unsweetened apple juice or mashed up banana. There are medicine flavoring syrups that you can buy, but be wary of the ingredients. Some things aren’t suitable for bunnies.

• maxmo
                                Participant

Ok thanks for the tips!

• Wick & Fable
                                5812 posts Send Private Message

Just to ease any general concerns you may have, 3.5lbs is actually on the larger size for a Netherland Dwarf. My ND was barely 2lbs and was on Baytril twice a day for roughly 4 months— no problems whatsoever. As others have said, just give as the vet prescribed to ensure your rabbit is getting the proper treatment.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Baytril dosage for netherland dwarf