Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Basil flowers??

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Veronica Vigilant
      Participant
      186 posts Send Private Message

I know that basil is safe for bunnies… but does anyone know if they can also eat the flowering part of basil? My dad has an herb garden (no pesticides!) with basil, oregano, and mint so I’ve been giving my buns some fresh herbs while we’re here visiting for 2 1/2 weeks, but I wasn’t sure if they could have the little flowers that are on the top of the basil. Anyone have any idea? I’ve been playing it super cautious and taking them off just in case but if they’re safe I want them to enjoy them too!

• ADEE
        Participant
        499 posts Send Private Message

Rain has eaten them as well as the stems, we havnt had a problem. Good question!! I cant wait to hear more feedback on it

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

Herb flowers are fine.  I give mine the flowers from chamomile, oregano, basil and mint, as well as the foliage and the stems.

• Veronica Vigilant
            Participant

That’s great to know! Thanks!

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Just chiming in to say that I ditto Osprey! My two adore the chamomile, lavender and red clover flowers (fresh & dried).

• kimberleyanddarren
                Participant
                2520 posts Send Private Message

i couldnt believe rabbits can eat roses

• osprey
                  Participant
                  2065 posts Send Private Message

Yes, they like roses too.  Mine also eat blackberry branches, leaves and even the small thorns.  I try to break off the larger thorns, but they merrily chow down on them.  One thing to watch for with roses, though.  Since roses are not a food crop and are very susceptible to insect damage, they are often heavily sprayed and/or treated with systemic pesticides, both of which are deadly to rabbits.  If you feed roses, make sure they are from an organic garden.

• Veronica Vigilant
                    Participant

I had a climbing rose bush at my last apt… that had no branches/flowers/leaves within bunny height! I was amazed how well pruned my bun kept it for me! (Luckily it was pretty tall so I still got to enjoy some flowers!)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Basil flowers??