Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Are black bunnies unpopular?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • kurottabun
      Participant
      908 posts Send Private Message

It’s just a random thought that came to mind, but I’ve seen and heard people say that black is an unpopular colour for bunnies. I know there are a lot of black bun owners on here, but am just wondering if you guys have heard of this claim before.

I reckon it’s the same as black cats being viewed as bad luck or something lol?

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

I think animals that are all black or all white are less popular than mixed/patterned. At least that’s what I’ve heard. Don’t know why though. Maybe black is because it’s unlucky but I don’t know about white. I’ve got one of each. Interestingly, when I was looking for rabbits, I initially saw pictures of light brown gingery lionheads but when I inquired, all that was left (that sounds awful?) was a white mini lop and a black mini lop. So that’s what I got lol.

• Harley&Thumper
          Participant
          444 posts Send Private Message

I know REW are unpopular with some people (including me) because they find the red eyes unnerving. But that’s the only coloring I’ve ever heard of being unpopular.

• joea64
            Participant
            1423 posts Send Private Message

I hadn’t heard that about black bunnies, but I know there are people who are reluctant to have albino rabbits (white fur, pink/red eyes) mainly because those eyes creep them out. Which is paradoxical, really, because albino bunnies also have the reputation of being especially friendly and affectionate. My own Fernando fits that stereotype – he’s always been more outgoing and sociable than his white-with-black-spots-and-brown-eyed mommy Panda.

• Sirius&Luna
              Participant
              2320 posts Send Private Message

I think people don’t like black animals because they’re difficult to take photos of… Which anyone with a black bun knows to be 1000% true.

I think, honestly, when most people first choose a pet it’s based on looks, so it makes sense that things like that would affect people.

Of course, my little black lop is the sweetest thing

• Bam
                16957 posts Send Private Message

My bam is a black bunny, and yes, it’s difficult to get good pix of him. I’ve heard the same as S&L, black pets are not as popular these days because they aren’t as social media-friendly as non-black pets.

And sometimes I do feel it’s annoying not to be able to show Bam’s cuteness to the world, because if the light isn’t good enough, he photographs as a black blob. I can live with it though =D

• Wick & Fable
                  5812 posts Send Private Message

Clearly these people have not seen Wick.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

I really really wanted a black bunny, but the breeder I bought my boys from didn’t have any available during their litters (they were born days apart, everyone thinks they’re litter mates). She also told me pure blacks are hard to breed because of the finagling it takes with the color genes and having the perfect color combo breed to make a black bunny.

• Sirius&Luna
                      Participant

Yes, I think most black bunnies are ‘vienna-marked’ which means they carry the blue eyed gene, and have a white chunk (Wick) or the odd little white tufts like Atlas does. I think true solid black is rare. And i’m not sure whether solid black would have blue or brown eyes?

• Luna
                        Participant
                        2219 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard that black or white buns aren’t as popular because they are “boring” (not my words!), or black buns don’t photo well, or people don’t like the REW. Like Bam (bun), Luna also appears as a black blob in many pics, but as Bam (hoomin) stated, I don’t mind it. Personally, I think black buns are the best (not that I’m bias or anything ).

• sarahthegemini
                          Participant

Ah yes the dreaded task of photographing an adorable black bunny only to find he looks like a big blob with no features. That’s why my insta has more Buttercup pictures. She’s so easy to photograph.

• professorzap
                            Participant
                            72 posts Send Private Message

I’ve often heard that shelters/rescues have a hard time adopting out black dogs and black cats.  Wonder if the same bias has an effect on black bunnies

• Gordo and Janice
                              Participant
                              703 posts Send Private Message

@joea64…yep. I didn’t know about any stigma with albinos. But one of the first things people, even children, would say about Icey was how the red eyes creeped them out. I never gave it a second’s notice but apparently it’s a thing. And again what you said about them being affectionate and friendly. We didn’t know anything about rabbits so she came how she was in spite of what we did right or wrong. Very friendly and affectionate.

Lol…and it’s true about the black buns (blobs). When I see the avatars it’s like, “Okay…there’s an ear…and I think that’s an eye…and a foot (not sure which one)…so how are they actually situated there?…hmmm”

• sarahthegemini
                                Participant

Posted By Gordo and Janice on 4/18/2018 10:03 AM

@joea64
                                  …yep. I didn’t know about any stigma with albinos. But one of the first things people, even children, would say about Icey was how the red eyes creeped them out. I never gave it a second’s notice but apparently it’s a thing. And again what you said about them being affectionate and friendly. We didn’t know anything about rabbits so she came how she was in spite of what we did right or wrong. Very friendly and affectionate.

Lol…and it’s true about the black buns (blobs). When I see the avatars it’s like, “Okay…there’s an ear…and I think that’s an eye…and a foot (not sure which one)…so how are they actually situated there?…hmmm”

Sometimes I look through old pictures of Peanut and I can’t tell his head from his arse 

• Sirius&Luna
                                  Participant

Posted By sarahthegemini on 4/18/2018 10:13 AM

Sometimes I look through old pictures of Peanut and I can’t tell his head from his arse 

LOL 

• BrunosMama
                                    Participant
                                    1485 posts Send Private Message

We have an all black bunny (no white snippets) and she is nearly impossible to get a good pic of. She has brown eyes . Her mate is an REW lop. When I photo them together, he looks like he’s sitting next to a black hole lol.

I had never heard the stigma of black critters, but definitely the one of REW’s.

• BB8
                                      Participant
                                      101 posts Send Private Message

I wanted an all black bunny There was a black lion head that I thinking about adopting but then I met Mister Baba and he stole my heart <3
                                        I know shelters have a difficulty getting black cats adopted because some people still believe they bring bad luck. I’m not sure about black dogs but my mom has a dog with a black head and a neighbor told her that her dog was scary because his head was all black haha. He’s a black and white spaniel, not scary looking at all

• Luna
                                        Participant
                                        2219 posts Send Private Message

Posted By professorzap on 4/18/2018 9:25 AM

I’ve often heard that shelters/rescues have a hard time adopting out black dogs and black cats.  Wonder if the same bias has an effect on black bunnies

Unfortunately, it does seem to be the case, at least at the rescue I volunteer at. We have plenty of white buns, and a fair amount of black ones. Dutch buns are usually adopted out the quickest. It’s sad because the all white or black ones there have the most personality!

• Muchelle
                                          Participant
                                          1141 posts Send Private Message

Although we do have a black cats problem over here, I don’t think buns colours are minded that much. For example a really popular kind are the blue ones, that ultimately are spiffy black buns. K used to be blue as a baby, but then he lost it I manage to get real cute pics of him nonetheless. Same goes for Nivde’s Jasper, that is a 100% black bun. It may help that both of us have white floors and black buns maybe

• kurottabun
                                            Participant
                                            908 posts Send Private Message

@sarah
                                              Perhaps white is just too “normal” and boring too? Also a lot of white bunnies have red eyes so that may be a deterrent too.

@S&L @bam
                                              It never crossed my mind that photographs/social media would be factors at all in deciding colour choice D: But now that you mention it, I guess it is possible…that’s so sad though.

@Wick
                                              Clearly they have not! Wick is the cutest little thing <3

@A&B
                                              Yes I’ve also heard of that before. Apparently if you wanted to show a black bunny, he/she can’t even have a strand of white/any other coloured fur on the body – otherwise he/she will be disqualified. Never verified this before though.

@S&L
                                              If I’m not mistaken, solid blacks are supposed to have brown eyes.

@Luna
                                              Lol! Certainly not biased at all hahah.

@professorzap
                                              I think it may actually have the same effect – for the same reasons :/

@G&J
                                              Actually the red eyes do creep me out a little too :/ I’m not sure why though. I’m sure I’d see past that if I actually had a sweet red-eyed bunny though, but at first glance I do feel it’s a bit unnerving. Hmm.

@BrunosMama
                                              When black bunnies are placed side by side with a non-black bun in the same photo, I always think they look like a shadow of the other bun LOL.

@BB8
                                              Oooh a black lionhead would be so cute – it would probably look like a black moving hairball!

@Muchelle
                                              Blue buns are also very popular where I am. My current house has all-white walls and tiles too – I guess it does make it a little easier!

• MoxieMeadows
                                              Participant
                                              5375 posts Send Private Message

From what I have heard and experienced, REW (albino) bunnies and all black bunnies are always the hardest to find homes for here. Nobody wants to adopt them, it is super sad

All of my rabbits so far have been all black though (Moxie was a black French angora. Her and her REW sister were the last two in the litter. and Finnegan is a black dwarf lionhead). And they are impossible to take photos of, especially if they are skittish. But black bunnies are soooo cute, they would probably just break the internet if we could post good photos

• OnyxMoon
                                                Participant
                                                260 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard this a few times with cats and dogs, but never thought of it with bunnies. I find all of them equally adorable! Even REW’s!

I don’t think i know anyone with a black bun around me, but to be fair i dont know a whole lot of people with bunnies. lol

• ThorBunny
                                                  Participant
                                                  824 posts Send Private Message

The shelter where we got Thor told me that the albino rabbits with red eyes are the hardest to adopt out, followed by black rabbits

I personally don’t care at all! But I feel like people I send black blob pictures to would prefer a more photogenic bun… When I briefly tried to bond Thor to Boo (a Californian bun) a while ago, my parents were jazzed because he “showed up in pictures” lol

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Are black bunnies unpopular?