Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Any experience catching wild rabbits?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Susanne
      Participant
      422 posts Send Private Message

Just curious, I know it’s not a rehab page or anything! I’ve contacted a rehab place and getting a trap, just curious if anyone has done this before and if it’s difficult etc. or have any tips. I have some kale and carrots I can put in there.  I have a bunny in my backyard with a broken leg 🙁 I know exactly where it is, but I don’t want to scare it and make things worse, so they are bringing me a trap. I’m very scared of it being terrified but hope this ends well…

• LBJ10
        16994 posts Send Private Message

What kind of trap? Bunnies don’t usually go into those little cage traps. I think people have better luck setting up a pen with food and then closing the “door” with the bunny inside. You have to work up to it though, getting the bunny accustomed to finding food in said pen.

For rehab though, I’m not sure what they will and will not treat. Some injuries are difficult to treat in wild rabbits simply because they are so high strung.

• Susanne
          Participant

I don’t have it yet, but I’m thinking the little one like you said. That’s what I’m afraid of. I have an extra xpen.. I think it can get wet (raining here). I can try that. They didn’t tell me much about treating. I described the injury and they just said they could loan me a trap :/ Not sure if they plan to rehab or humanely euthanize honestly. I would think this one would require surgery. the back leg is just dangling.

• Wick & Fable
            5806 posts Send Private Message

Usually pens are most successful, so if you’re able to limit the area (especially if there is a broken limb), hopefully that will get you some success. When rescues I’ve worked with go out for catching a stray (domestic) rabbit, we tend to bring some xpens and use some to block off areas as well as narrow some things, though depending on the size of the wild rabbit, may want to consider whether the slots in an xpen may be a dangerous side where they may try to dart through and get caught. Hope all goes well for the little one.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
              16994 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I would definitely try the xpen route over a little cage trap. And even if they do humanely euthanize the bunny, that’s better than it suffering.

• cole
                Participant
                2 posts Send Private Message

Hi – My first post. We have just done this. Bunnies are too smart for those little cages. those cages are fine for cats and dogs ‘n coons – but the bunnie looks them over and then looks around to find you because they know what you are up to. Finally we cleverly closed off all the escape routes and chased her around for a couple hours until she stayed in a secure spot she knew we couldn’t enter. We closed it off with a tarp and I built a 12′ x 6′ enclosure around her the next day. Then we put a roof on. Then added double entry doors for feeding. Then I extended with 12′ x 20’ extension. Now we’re adding lettuce plants and  have ordered a misting system – so the  area will be cool in the summer. I’ve never touched her. She has figured out I can see her through the security cameras and always stays out of their sight. When I have found a close-up from a far off camera that will show me whether she is at a particular location, both times she broke from her personal activity, like eating or cleaning herself, to stand up and stare right into the camera, at me, as to chide, “you again!”

I attribute this to the vast computative power of animals brains, such as human brains and apparently bunnie brains, as opposed some esoteric notion  like extra-sensory perception. But a cage?  No, they’re just plain too smart.

• Susanne
                  Participant

Hi all, thank for responding and apologies for not coming back to check sooner. The issue is I can’t get help since it’s not always in my yard so I don’t have anyone who can rush over on a dime. I think the xpen would be really difficult by myself. I have a firepit in the yard with overgrown grass around it and it likes to go there. It’s been surviving this way still, I see it sometimes eating and even seen another rabbit visit. It moves pretty fast for 3 good legs. I’ve caught a baby bunny and skunk in the cage so far, I guess I thought eventually it might get chased in there. The cage is still out since I don’t know how else to get it on my own. There are other rescue groups I could try, but again really hard to capture if we don’t know when it will be in my yard. I think I’ll just keep up with the cage, try and put more around it to blend in.

• triangulumlock
                    Participant
                    6 posts Send Private Message

I’ve never caught a wild rabbit myself, but I’ve heard it can be tricky. You’re doing the right thing by contacting a rehab place and getting a trap. Kale and carrots should work great as bait. Just stay calm and move slowly to avoid scaring the little guy.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Any experience catching wild rabbits?