Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Am I Crazy?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • HipHopBunny
      Participant
      640 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone!

So my friend here has this completely adorable male baby lionhead, and she’s looking for a home to give him to. Here comes the part where I think that I’m crazy – I’m actually considering adopting this bunny, when I already have a trio that  took a long time to finally bond. I was hoping that by making this post, someone more sensible right now would come along and talk me out of this thought process. I just… gah! The rabbit is so stinking cute!

I don’t need another rabbit… I need one like I need a hole in my head…The thing is, I’m already thinking about naming options! I really need to get out of this crazy fantasy.

Now to the point of my question – am I crazy? Could  I actually attempt a quad? Should I indulge in this reverie? Any level-headed advice will be much appreciated!!

• DanaNM
        9050 posts Send Private Message

Haha you are crazy!

But I am also crazy so I get it!

BUT, I wouldn’t attempt a quad with how hard it was for you to get your trio. But if you are happy to end up with 2 pairs, then it could work out (this is what happened to me). I would be really reluctant to bring a baby (that will need to be neutered) into a home with a trio. His hormones will be a pain to deal with and very possibly could cause your current trio to fight. Plus you don’t really have any sense of his personality with how young he is.

When I adopted Cooper (my fourth), I only had a pair and a single, and was prepared to do 2 pairs if the quad didn’t work (which it didn’t). I don’t think I would have adopted him if i had a bonded trio to begin with, because my goal was for Bonnie to have a companion.

Also, anecdotally (based on experiences pairing up rabbits at the rescue and here on the forum), lionheads weirdly seem to prefer other lionheads (even though overall I’d say breed has no impact on bonding). Apparently they know they are gorgeous and only want to be with others as beautiful as they are 😆

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
            Participant
            766 posts Send Private Message

crazy is relative!

Do you have the space, financial resources for another bun, especially one who might need neutering? Also the desire and space to deal with possible breaks up of the trio, especially if  you don’t end up with 2 pairs then? Think of all likely worst case scenarios and if you can easily find solutions and you are still wanting him then go for it!

I am totally cracking up at @DanaNM comment: “lionheads weirdly seem to prefer other lionheads (even though overall I’d say breed has no impact on bonding). Apparently they know they are gorgeous and only want to be with others as beautiful as they are”

• Wick & Fable
            5812 posts Send Private Message

I agree that trying for two bonded pairs as opposed to a quad may be less stressful for you and your buns, if you follow through with getting the rabbit.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Hazel
              Participant
              2587 posts Send Private Message

How are we supposed to give you sensible advice without any pictures?? 😛

Doubt you’ll find anyone here who will attempt to talk you out of getting a baby lionhead, it certainly won’t be me! 😆  We already know you’re a great bunny parent so why not. 😀

• ParsleyBun
                Participant
                123 posts Send Private Message

Don’t know about the bonding, but Lioheads are my fav breed and I have one, so as long as you’ve got the money and time,totally!

• HipHopBunny
                  Participant

Ahhhh, you guys shouldn’t be encouraging me!! 😆

Dana – If I am crazy enough to try this, I probably would go for the two pairs. I think that I’d try Smokey with him, see how that worked out. I’m laughing at that comment on how Lionheads seem to prefer their own. 😆

PrinceDorian – Check, check, check. Not sure about me having the desire to go through another bonding process that could be long, though…

Hazel –  LA LA LA, I can’t hear you!! I don’t need another bunny! 😆 Pictures? Weeeeell… I tried not to stay with him for too long, in the fears that I’d just take him home without any sensible thinking first. I do, however, have a picture from my friend of him….

• DanaNM

OMG look at that little nugget!

Ok the one other thing to consider (which was mentioned to me by Sirius&Luna when I was considering whether to adopt Cooper), is that 4 bunnies really does take a lot more time than 3. It’s weird, going from 1 to 2 isn’t bad. And then adding a third was like OK, this is fine. But then with 4… it’s suddenly a whole lot of bunnies! I don’t regret it, but its harder to make sure I get to spend some quality time with all of them!

Also I was spoiled in that my first three were perfect angels and not troublemakers at all, all of them were fine to free-roam unsupervised. I had forgotten what that young male bunny energy was like! Cooper is amazing, but man that boy really tests my bunny proofing, and he needs so much attention and supervision! He rebells if he doesn’t get his snuggles! So then it can be harder to split time with Bun Jovi and Myra upstairs, and I especially want to spend quality time with BJ since he’s my little grandpa.

So again, I have no regrets, but just other things to consider!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
                      Participant
                      766 posts Send Private Message

too cute! He doesn’t look old enough to be neutered, that may cause some issues with the hormones, until you can get that done. But gah I see why you want him!

• HipHopBunny
                        Participant

After watching my ladies flop and groom each other, I have come to the conclusion that I am indeed crazy to consider adopting another bun. Sigh. He is awfully cute… But I don’t think I could deal with the stress of a newcomer right now.

Thank you all for your responses!

• DanaNM

Haha! Probably a good move! You worked so hard for that trio!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Am I Crazy?