Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Adopting a new bun – Lucy!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lindsey
      Participant
      43 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! Hope you’re all doing well and staying safe. 😀

I wanted to share my exciting news with others who are familiar with the feelings, I am adopting a new rabbit tomorrow! She is a lionhead, around ~1 year old. Her current name is Nala, but when she joins us we plan to call her Lucy! I found her on a local humane societies site, listed as a private adoption/rehoming situation, so her current owner is going to be dropping her off to us tomorrow at noon. I am so anxious to meet her (and will be sure to post an update tomorrow sometime), I am hoping she will adjust well to being with us.

I am hoping to be able to bond her with Leo in the future, (love the names Lucy+Leo!) but she hasn’t been spayed, so obviously, we are going to plan to have that done. I have to admit that I am quite nervous already about the thought of her spay, as in the past I have lost a rabbit during a spay surgery. I realize that doesn’t happen often, and I do have a lot of faith in our vet, who is very kind and rabbit savvy, but I cannot help but be worried about it. I am going to try to do some digging and re-read up on all the things to expect with after spay care and how different bunnies have reacted, so if anyone has any links to share of helpful pages/topics/info that would be amazing. I just wanted to share this news with all of you! I love being a part of this BB community!

• DanaNM
        9050 posts Send Private Message

Congrats and welcome home Lucy! Don’t panic if you see a lot of marking when you first bring her home. Having an un-altered bunny in the house tends to make everyone throw their box habits out the window!

As for spaying, the most important things are to have pain meds sent home, as well as supplies for syringe feeding in case she doesn’t want to eat right away. Usually if a bun doesn’t want to eat within 4-6 hours of waking up from the procedure you will want to syringe feed. Having some of her favorite herbs on hand will also entice her to eat. 🙂 Other than that, keeping her space restricted, calm and warm. After a couple days of confinement, she will likely appreciate extra toys so she doesn’t get too bored. Your vet will also probably have you check on her incision each day, where you just look for excessive redness, swelling, weeping, or separation. Most bunnies with correct pain management leave their suture alone, but occasionally one does need to be coned. It’s great you are getting prepared before hand. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Lindsey
          Participant

Thanks so much for the helpful response @DanaNM! I really appreciate it. I plan to have her ex-pen set up pretty far away from Leo’s (the other side of our house) for the time being, but I am still expecting some territorial behavior or marking from both Leo and Lucy just by sensing or smelling a new bun in our space.

• Lindsey
            Participant

Hello! I wanted to pop in to introduce her officially! This is Lucy. She’s settling in wonderfully!

• DanaNM

She’s adorable! Welcome home Lucy!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Susanne
                Participant
                422 posts Send Private Message

Congratulations!! She’s a cutie!

• Lindsey
                  Participant

Thanks so much, DanaNM & Susanne! I appreciate the comments!

Lucy is doing great with us so far. She loves her new ex-pen home base and is eating well, she also took to her litter box very quickly! I was a bit worried since her previous owner didn’t have her use one, but I guess I had forgotten how good bunnies usually are at using them! I have a wellness check-up at our vet scheduled for her this coming Friday, so fingers crossed Lucy will get a good bill of health from them! 😀

• Hazel
                    Participant
                    2587 posts Send Private Message

Oh my she’s so pretty! 😀

• prince dorian the bun
                      Participant
                      766 posts Send Private Message

Congrats and glad to hear she is settling in well!

• Lindsey
                        Participant

Hi everyone! Lucy has her spay surgery tomorrow, I have to drop her off at the vet in the morning. Please keep her in your thoughts and send good vibes our way! I am hoping for a smooth recovery for her.

Any kind words or advice is always appreciated! 😀

• prince dorian the bun
                          Participant
                          766 posts Send Private Message

Lucy is too cute!! Best of luck on her spay and recovery!!

• LBJ10
                            17012 posts Send Private Message

Yay! Good luck Lucy!

• BZOO
                              Participant
                              331 posts Send Private Message

So cute!

When I was very little, six/seven, I had a pair of French Lips, Leo and Mary.  Leo is a good name!  I named mine from the Serendipity books and Mary was my best friend.  Which is kinda odd/neat ‘cuz my current bff (I’m 50 now) is Mary!

• Lindsey
                                  Participant

Ah @BZOO yes I also adore the name Leo! And it suits our bun so well.

P.S. – your profile photo is so adorable! So much FLUFF!

• Lindsey
                                  Participant

Hi again! Thank you to each of you for the well-wishes. I wanted to update to say that Lucy’s spay surgery went well and she is at home with us recovering! She has yet to eat much but the vet says as long as she is getting something in her system by later today, she’ll be just fine. I did see her nibble on some oat hay, and was able to get her to take her daily dose of Metacam earlier – so I am thankful for that. She has been moving around a lot more this morning already too, which I think is another good thing! 😀

• Susanne
                                    Participant
                                    422 posts Send Private Message

Great news!!!

• DanaNM

That’s great! 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Adopting a new bun – Lucy!