Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums RESCUE EFFORTS FOR SHELTERS 114 Rabbit Confiscation in the Santa Cruz Area

This topic contains 54sd replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  osprey 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author

tobyluv
    Participant

They are all beautiful and precious. I hope they find forever homes soon.

osprey
    Participant

I got some more information today.  The breeder is now out of the picture, there is a criminal case pending against him, but the rabbits are out of his life for good.  The Haven has informed the shelter that it is our intention to find rescue for all of these rabbits.  So far, we have gotten 38 out into new foster sites and to other rescues.  Several litters have been born, and most of the babies didn’t make it due to the conditions they came from.  Dr. Hillary Stern from Avian and Exotic Vet Clinic in Monterey came in on her own time to spend two hours doing initial evaluations on all of the rabbits housed at the Santa Cruz shelter.  Several had serious wounds that required surgery and were taken out of the shelter immediately into medical foster care.  We have gotten a bunch of them spayed and neutered, and are available for adoption now.  Volunteers are working two shifts a day to clean cages, refill hay and water, clean and cuddle these bunnies.  We are working with the shelter to get as many out as we can to free up space there.  I think a few of them will be at our adoption show this weekend, if I get any photos I will post them.

We are still in need of foster sites and volunteers for these rabbits.  If any of you are in the Bay Area and can help, please don;t hesitate to contact Heather at director@therabbithaven.org.  I posted an update with more information on The Haven’s website if you want to learn more.  Thanks for your interest in this situation.  So far we are weathering the storm, and the response has been great from new fosters, donors and are vets.  Soon, we will be able to concentrate on finding homes for these rabbits.

RabbitPam

osprey, that is good news about that terrible breeder. I am sorry you lost so many babies to their poor conditions, but it’s wonderful how many you are all able to nurse and save. Hang in there.

osprey
    Participant

I just posted anoterh update.  To date, 41 have been removed from the two shelters.  We were given until December 17 to get the rest out, or they will begin euthanizing them.  Needless to say, 67 rabbits in just a few weeks is a big project for us.  Volunteers continue to go to the shelter every day to feed, clean, medicate and socialize the bunnies.  They have come a long way in the few short weeks since this all began.  If you click on the Rabbit haven story link, you can see some of the volunteers in action.  One of the bunnies, a little rex with himalayan type markings named Alamea was at our adoption show this weekend, and I got a new photo of her, which I will share below.  I’ll keep everyone updated as this situation progresses.

RabbitPam

You’re killin’ me Osprey. She’s gorgeous.

osprey
    Participant

Another update today.  We got 23 more out yesterday!  Various rescues including SaveABunny, SLO Rabbits, Rabbits Rock (AFRP), Rabbit Ears, and Leaps and Bounds and of course The Rabbit Haven took some rabbits out.  We are still trying to get them all out in the next few weeks.  We have until the 17th of December.

These bunnies were also given a great gift by three area vets and some vet techs and staff at local vet hospitals.  Dr. Hillary Stern (Avian and Exotic in Monterey), Dr. Erika Sullenberger (Animal Hospital of Soquel), Dr. Sarah Hawklyn (Aptos-Creekside Pet Hospital), and vet techs and staff from Felton Veterinary Hospital, Animal Hospital of Soquel, and Aptos-Creekside Pet Hospital will be holding a free “Spay A Thon” this Sunday at the Santa Cruz shelters.  All of these animal care professionals will be donating their time to get as many spays and neuters done as possible.  The Rabbit Haven will be providing volunteers to move the rabbits in and out of the ORs, and to proviide post op care for the bunnies.

Sarita
    Participant

Thanks for the update! It sounds very stressful and like there is alot being done to save these rabbits. Wish I were closer to help. I will definitely make a donation to one of the above mentioned rescue groups.

Sarita
    Participant

Just made a donation to the Rabbit Haven.

osprey
    Participant

Thank you for your gift, Sarita. Rest assured, every penny will go to helping the bunnies.

sunrocket
    Participant

Cannot get down to the Santa Cruz area, but just made a donation to the Rabbit Haven to help out with the tremendous work that is being done.  Bless you all, and prayers that all the bunnies get out.

Is there an update on how many rabbits still need to be rescued at this point?

bunnyfriend
    Participant

I will make a donation.

osprey
    Participant

Sunday was the Spay-A-Thon at the Santa Cruz shelter.  32 rabbits were spayed/neutered on Sunday, with the vets working from 7:30 AM until nearly 8:30 PM.  Haven volunteers did post op care and transport, and local area vet techs donated their time working with the vets in the ORs.

A bunch more of the bunnies were taken into rescue over the last few days.  Amazing as it may sound, We are down to 23 now needing rescue.  The rescue community in the Bay Area has really responded to our please for helping, taking large numbers of these bunnies out of the shelter and into rescue.  Several were also adopted over the weekend.  I am hoping that one more push will be able to get the remaining bunnies out and safely into rescue.  I will keep everyone posted.

osprey
    Participant

We had an adoption show this weekend, and two of the Aptos breeder bunnies were there, dwarf males named Gibbs and Dinozo.  Dinozo was adopted, and Gibbs stayed around long enough for me to take this picture of him.  I don’t have any updates today, but pictures are always fun.

Sarita
    Participant

Oh gosh, he’s totally adorable. What pretty coloring.

RabbitPam

What a wonderful group of vets, techs and other volunteers you have in your area. I wish more states would take the lead from CA.
    Great progress – here’s wishes for 23 softie slaves to walk through your doors and adopt. Now to stop these people who continue this out of control breeding.

Lintini
    Participant

I will contact heather, I have room in my home and heart to foster or adopt one.

osprey
    Participant

A nice article in The Examiner about the Spay A Thon on Sunday.

http://www.examiner.com/animal-welf…generosity

Tipsy Bunny
    Participant

I am so late on these updates but Mzsunshine, that golden rex is absolutely gorgeous! I have never seen such a handsome coloring! I love his sweet eyes. If I had the room I would definitely adopt one of those buns! I know my Tipsy would love a friend!

osprey
    Participant

Of the 116 rabbits that came in to the two shelters, just 9 remain at the Santa Cruz shelter.  We have 10 days to find a place for these remaining 9.  All have been spayed/neutered and are ready to go.  We are close to the end here folks, I hope we can get these last few out.

sunrocket
    Participant

Any word yet on the remaining nine bunnies?  This effort has been truly awe-inspiring!

osprey
    Participant

Carlos was adopted today, so 8 remain to be gotten out this week.  You can see their photos on The Rabbit Haven’s website here:

http://therabbithaven.org/AptosConf…12811.html

sunrocket
    Participant

Thanks for the update.  What fine bunnies — wish I could take one (or two).  

MarkBun
    Participant

The three that SaveABunny has are doing well. Olaf was a little ‘out of it’ for the first night – too much excitement and travel – but now he’s coming out of his shell and is having a good time. He actually scares me a little because he looks a little like a gray alien and I have an irrational fear of them. Doesn’t stop me from giving him pets.

Rhoury is a little more skittish but still doing well. And I believe a third came that was un-named whom we now call Pan. He’s a terrified little guy but when we put him into a large X-pen to stretch his legs, boy did he have a great time!

All are doing well and coming along fine.

osprey
    Participant

Three rabbits remain at the Santa Cruz shelter from this rescue.  We have an adoption show on Saturday 12/17, and all three will be shown.  If they are not adopted, they will go into foster care with The Haven.  One way or the other, they are not going back to the shelter on Saturday.

Two of the rabbits with the ear amputations have had surgeries to remove large abcesses under their wounds.  They will take a bit longer to be ready for adoption, losing an ear is a very traumatic thing for a rabbit.

The response to this crisis has been really overwhelming.  We have had rabbits going all over California, with offers of rescue from as far away as Canada.  Bunny people truly are amazing.

sunrocket
    Participant

This is such great news.  Everyone involved has been so great, so generous, so caring, so hard-working.  It’s really inspiring.  May every last bunny have wonderful loving homes and all the care they deserve!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.