Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Springtime aggression Reply To: Springtime aggression

Bam
16883 posts Send Private Message

Sex hormones are not the only hormones that are affected by the increase in amount of daylight that occurs in spring. Plus, buns and humans, both male and female, have some testosterone production in their adrenal glands, and this production persists or gets exacerbated by castration. An increase in amount of daylight causes a decrease in melatonin (“sleep hormone”), and an increase in sex hormones. Rabbit behaviour is highly hormone-dependant. Elevated testosterone is known to cause exaggerated aggression in some individuals, both humans and animals.

Ambient heat also affects hormones. This makes total sense of course, wild male rabbits wont produce sperm during the coldest winter months, because it’d be counter-productive for girl buns to be pregnant and have kits when food is really scarce (girl rabbits are induced ovulators, meaning they ovulate in response to mating). In house buns this doesnt really matter though, since indoors temps stay mostly the same all year round.

Could you arrange some sort of darker curtains in the bun area? That could enable you to give them sth similar to 12 hours of “night” and 12 hours of “day”. My buns currently go totally bonkers every morning at 4 am. They dont fight but they gallop around like a herd of genuinly annoying wildebeest. I banish them to the (predator-proof) veranda around 4.15, but if I didnt have that option, I’d try dark curtains to try and mimick a longer night.