Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Watcha Reading????

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

Me:

This is the fourth book in the series. I can’t recommend the books or the show (Season 4 starts back up in November and I’m super excited!!!) enough. If you like historical fiction (which is pretty much all I read), you need to get into this series. It’s very Adult, though. Definitely not for minors…..From my experience, Outlander is like bunnies and horses. You either don’t like it or you REALLY REALLY REALLY love it!!! 

• Sirius&Luna
        Participant
        2319 posts Send Private Message

Oooh, I love historical fiction. I’ll look it up.

I recently read Madeline Miller’s Circe, and just bought it for my mum – it’s sort of a retelling of the Odyssey, complete with warring Greek gods, witches and mortals. Plus it has an absolutely beautiful cover. 

I’m currently reading the Joe Abercrombie fantasy series. It’s great dark fantasy. 

• joea64
          Participant
          1423 posts Send Private Message

Being a Belle Epoque fan, I’m currently reading Caroline Weber’s new book on the Parisian high-society ladies who collectively inspired one of Marcel Proust’s most famous characters:

And at the same time, I’m reading Greg King’s book on the court of Queen Victoria during the Diamond Jubilee year of 1896-1897:

Being a classic Hollywood fan as well (and a devotee of Hollywood costuming), I’m also reading this book by the man who designed many of the costumes for the actresses of RKO (the studio run by Howard Hughes) during the 1940’s and 1950’s:

And also this book by legendary Hollywood costume designer Orry-Kelly (@Azerane, attention: the gentleman hailed from Australia):

At the risk of injecting politics, at the top of my reading list for the coming week is a book by a certain legendary investigative journalist on the fellow currently occupying the White House, which has already stirred up quite the late-summer storm down here in the metro DC region…

• Asriel and Bombur
            Participant
            1104 posts Send Private Message

Oh S&L how did you enjoy it?! I loved Song of Achilles!

John got me into the Rangers Apprentice series back in college, and the author has really expanded the universe (like JK Rowling really should’ve &nbsp Anyways! He came out with a few prequel books for the Ranger in the first series about his upbringing. He’s also made series called the Royal Ranger about apprentice’s apprentice when he’s in his 40s. He also made a series specifically about one of the countries in the book (Skandians –> think Nordic people ) called Brotherband Chronicles, and it’s supposed to intertwine with the Royal Ranger series. 

Currently reading book 1 of the Brotherband Chronicles. It’s still  Medieval like the other series (set in the same time) and the world is starting to piece together into different alliances. All the countries line up with a real country. This one is a much more hearty story and has a lot more bold humour, probably because it is more Nordic and less British in nature. I’m loving it though! If you like a good adventure and some loud mouth drunken, angry Nordics, you’d love this! 

• Bladesmith
              Participant
              849 posts Send Private Message

Just finished Mercedes Lackey’s latest, Avalanche, the last of the Secret History series. Superheroes, aliens, and nazis. And Supernazis. Also, Enrico Marconi and Nicolo Tesla visit. It’s awesome stuff. If you like superheroes, this series is for you.

Also rereading some alternate history stuff, the “Destroyermen” series by Anderson. WW1 era destroyer ends up on an alternate earth and lands smack dab in the middle of a genocidal war between Highly evolved Lemurs (Did you know there were once Giant Lemurs on Madagascar?” and slightly less evolved but still advanced Raptors. Good stuff.

• Q8bunny
                Participant
                6345 posts Send Private Message

No covers from me, but I’m really enjoying Elizabeth Peters’s Amelia Peabody series at the moment. The main character and her husband are fin de siecle English Egyptologists. Historically interesting, irreverent social commentary, and wickedly funny.

LPT: I loved reading the first one or two novels of the Outlander series, but once they relocated across the pond, they lost me completely. My mom also made me watch the show with her and I couldn’t get past how annoyingly juvenile babyface Jamie was. My mom and I actually had a spat over this – she’s all camp James Frasier, and I was all like “run away with Murtagh, Claire!”

• Sirius&Luna
                  Participant
                  2319 posts Send Private Message

JoeA, how can you possibly keep track of so many books at once?! I’m a one book at a time kind of girl. I wrote my masters dissertation on Queen Victoria, so the court one sounds great!

A&B- I loved it! Can’t believe I forgot that important detail when I recommended it. Her characters are so wonderful, she really manages to bring mythical gods to life! I haven’t read the Song of Achilles yet, but I’ve been meaning to look it up.

• joea64
                    Participant

Posted By Bladesmith on 9/05/2018 8:11 AM

Just finished Mercedes Lackey’s latest, Avalanche, the last of the Secret History series. Superheroes, aliens, and nazis. And Supernazis. Also, Enrico Marconi and Nicolo Tesla visit. It’s awesome stuff. If you like superheroes, this series is for you.

Also rereading some alternate history stuff, the “Destroyermen” series by Anderson. WW1 era destroyer ends up on an alternate earth and lands smack dab in the middle of a genocidal war between Highly evolved Lemurs (Did you know there were once Giant Lemurs on Madagascar?” and slightly less evolved but still advanced Raptors. Good stuff.

I’ve read most of the Destroyermen series too, though I think I need to catch up on the last book or two. I’m a great devotee of alternate history in general, though I do the bulk of my reading online at Alternatehistory.com, where AH fans write their own timelines on just about any subject you can think of. I’ve also been following Eric Flint’s 1632 series for close to two decades now (a small West Virginia coal-mining town as of May 2000 gets transitioned – the term of art in the alternate-history fan community is “ISOT’ed”, after Island in the Sea of Time, the late-1990’s trilogy by S. M. Stirling about the island of Nantucket having been whirled back in time to the Bronze Age, which started the entire subgenre of which the Destroyermen series is part – anyway, that small town gets swept back to the height of the Thirty Years’ War in central Germany, and a LOT of things start changing.) This series is particularly notable for the large number of writers, many of them fans, who have had their works published as official (“canonical”) parts of the series.

(Cover of the first novel in the series, published in 2000.)

In more general science fiction, I’ve also, over the past six years or so, become a fan of David Weber’s Honor Harrington military-SF series, and the culminating book in the series, Uncompromising Honor, is coming out this fall:

• joea64
                      Participant

Posted By Sirius&Luna on 9/05/2018 8:43 AM

JoeA, how can you possibly keep track of so many books at once?! I’m a one book at a time kind of girl. I wrote my masters dissertation on Queen Victoria, so the court one sounds great!

A&B- I loved it! Can’t believe I forgot that important detail when I recommended it. Her characters are so wonderful, she really manages to bring mythical gods to life! I haven’t read the Song of Achilles yet, but I’ve been meaning to look it up.

LONG experience. I’ve been known to have half-a-dozen or more books in various stages of progress at any one time. Since I got my first tablet back at the beginning of 2013, it’s become a LOT easier for me to juggle books (and carry them around too!!! &nbsp.

I’m a great admirer of Edward VII (“Bertie”), and I think you may be familiar with this book, which I consider to be one of the best recent biographies of the man who gave his name to the Edwardian Era:

Stephen Clarke has written a very entertaining book on Edward, Dirty Bertie, which focuses on his lifelong love affair with France (and Frenchwomen!!! &nbsp, which turned out to be a key factor in ending the centuries-long enmity between Britain and France:

• Asriel and Bombur
                        Participant

I can’t switch between so many books! My head would spin! I started college as an English major and was in 3 different lit classes, man was that so difficult. Especially when you’re reading Dickens, Tolstoy, and Proust. Was not an outstanding semester haha

S&L- love dark fantasy novels, so I’ll definitely give yours a try when I’m finished with this series. Anything set in medieval England or similar and has mythological creatures- that’s my jam.

JoeA- I love The Heir Apparent! I’m all about that historical fiction.

• joea64
                          Participant

Posted By Asriel and Bombur on 9/05/2018 10:17 AM

I can’t switch between so many books! My head would spin! I started college as an English major and was in 3 different lit classes, man was that so difficult. Especially when you’re reading Dickens, Tolstoy, and Proust. Was not an outstanding semester haha

S&L- love dark fantasy novels, so I’ll definitely give yours a try when I’m finished with this series. Anything set in medieval England or similar and has mythological creatures- that’s my jam.

JoeA- I love The Heir Apparent! I’m all about that historical fiction.

*ahem* Slight correction. The Heir Apparent is biography, not fiction.

But speaking of historical fiction, my recommendation, if you don’t already know this one:

The first book in Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series, probably my favorite of all historical-novel series. If you’ve ever read Naomi Novik’s fantasy/alternate-history Temeraire series, she started out as an Aubrey-Maturin fan fiction writer.

• joea64
                            Participant

Perplexingly, however, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of fiction about Edward VII himself, at least not that I’ve gathered from a quick look at Amazon.

• Asriel and Bombur
                              Participant

hahaha my error. I do usually group the two together though. People seem to get so confused when you say you’re reading a biography for fun. I’ve seen a few fiction on Edward, but in Boston we have a bunch of those quirky little bookstores. It’s all these hipsters we’ve got here.

I haven’t heard of either of those but they look good!

• joea64
                                Participant

Posted By Asriel and Bombur on 9/05/2018 12:59 PM

hahaha my error. I do usually group the two together though. People seem to get so confused when you say you’re reading a biography for fun. I’ve seen a few fiction on Edward, but in Boston we have a bunch of those quirky little bookstores. It’s all these hipsters we’ve got here.

I haven’t heard of either of those but they look good!

It’s my good fortune to live only two stoplights away from what may well be the best used-book store in the entire metropolitan Washington area:

http://mckayusedbooks.com/

I go there almost literally every weekend to check on new arrivals in the categories I’m interested in – you really do have to visit that often, because new stuff comes in by the car-trunk load every day and tends to go out again just about as fast. They also carry large stocks of used DVD’s, Blu-rays, CD’s, vinyl and even board and video games.

The other big used book store in Northern VA is 2nd and Charles, part of a mainly Southern chain associated with the Books-A-Million chain, but their prices are considerably higher than McKay’s and their selection – though in absolute terms they have a lot of items – isn’t quite as good. In downtown DC, Second Story Books is considered to be one of the best stores in this category. There’s another big used-book store out in Frederick, Maryland, Wonder Book, but I don’t get out there very often because it’s a couple of hours’ drive; that being said, I might go up there next month on the way to Gettysburg over Columbus Day weekend.

As a rule, though, I do most of my book shopping on Amazon or Thriftbooks, sometimes on ABEBooks, eBay, Alibris or Biblio.com. (Thriftbooks’ little secret is that you can buy direct from them much cheaper than you can on Amazon.)

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                  Participant
                                  352 posts Send Private Message

I have taken a short reading break for some classical language studies… my brain is getting tired though lately and it seems that I just don’t get the time to sit and truly “Read” read anything until I am done with all chores and kid is in bed… what then does that equal… me found face first sleep in the book… pages wrinkled! So I had to take a break and read shorter items.

I last read Ready Player One before the movie came out

• Asriel and Bombur
                                    Participant

Muj: my husband loves the book and the movie! I haven’t read the book but the movie was great What classical languages are you studying? I took several years of Latin in college and it was amazing. I loved it so much. It was fun going to Italy while I was studying it. My husband and I were dating at the time and he had just finished up a few years of Italian and I was in my 3rd year of Latin. So it was fun for us because he could read signs and converse with people and I could read all the ancient ruins and museum inscribings

• joea64
                                      Participant

I took two years of Latin in high school and another full year (two semesters) in college; since I’m hearing-impaired, it was the best option for me to fulfill the foreign-languages requirement without going through the rigmarole of having to listen to tapes. It’s been so long now, but I can still puzzle out a number of things, and it’s actually helped me recognize phrases in Romance languages like Spanish, Italian and French.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                        Participant
                                        2512 posts Send Private Message

@joea64: Bas is a huge Honor Harrington fan too ^_^

I’m reading book “Toll the Hounds”, book 8 of the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. I just love that series, it also has a lot of re-rading value because there’s simply so much going on. Some books I had to read thrice over to fit all the details into the grand scale of things.

• Bladesmith
                                          Participant

Posted By joea64 on 9/05/2018 8:53 AM

Posted By Bladesmith on 9/05/2018 8:11 AM

I’ve read most of the Destroyermen series too, though I think I need to catch up on the last book or two. I’m a great devotee of alternate history in general, though I do the bulk of my reading online at Alternatehistory.com, where AH fans write their own timelines on just about any subject you can think of. I’ve also been following Eric Flint’s 1632 series for close to two decades now (a small West Virginia coal-mining town as of May 2000 gets transitioned – the term of art in the alternate-history fan community is “ISOT’ed”, after Island in the Sea of Time, the late-1990’s trilogy by S. M. Stirling about the island of Nantucket having been whirled back in time to the Bronze Age, which started the entire subgenre of which the Destroyermen series is part – anyway, that small town gets swept back to the height of the Thirty Years’ War in central Germany, and a LOT of things start changing.) This series is particularly notable for the large number of writers, many of them fans, who have had their works published as official (“canonical”) parts of the series.

(Cover of the first novel in the series, published in 2000.)

In more general science fiction, I’ve also, over the past six years or so, become a fan of David Weber’s Honor Harrington military-SF series, and the culminating book in the series, Uncompromising Honor, is coming out this fall:

Great stuff, Joe!  I’ve read some of the “1632” series, first and second, I believe, and almost ALL of Sterlings Island and Dies the fire series.  In fact, it was “Dies the Fire” book that made me start making longbows!

I’m WAY behind on my Destroyermen series, because books are pricey, so most of my stuff comes from the local library system.

• joea64
                                            Participant

Bladesmith: I wonder if you’ve ever read Stirling’s Draka series? It’s one of the most famous – and most controversial/notorious – series in the alternate-history genre, not least because a lot of people have taken serious issue with the plausibility of the way the society and timeline developed. There have been a LOT of fan works online aimed at presenting alternate (and presumably more historically plausible) views of how the Draka timeline should have gone. Stirling himself has gotten into heated arguments with folks on various forums about various aspects of Draka; in particular, I remember one back a decade ago or so where he stood basically alone, stubbornly defending the plausibility of a Draka ground-attack aircraft against just about everyone else in that particular discussion thread who were arguing furiously that the way he designed the airplane made it literally impossible to fly because it was so drastically over-armored that it would be too heavy even to take off.

• joea64
                                              Participant

Ellie: Ask Bas if he’s ever seen the online spoof “David Weber Orders A Pizza”. That piece pokes fun at Weber’s tendency to wax – shall we say – prolix when explaining some technological or political point. It’s on display all the way back to the first novel in the series, On Basilisk Station, during a key passage which describes the physics of a chase between Honor’s ship and the enemy vessel she’s attempting to catch up with, which goes on for – oh, I don’t know – six? ten? pages? Also, due to just how extraordinarily complex the overall political and military situation has gotten in the most recent novels in the series, Weber has spent seemingly half of each of the last few books giving summaries of how people elsewhere in the galaxy have been reacting to events elsewhere in the past few months, weeks or even days. You get to the point where you start saying, “Yes, yes, Dave – we know all that already, get on with the new developments!”

Participant

Thanks for that tip, he really liked it ^_^

• joea64
                                                  Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 9/06/2018 12:11 PM

Thanks for that tip, he really liked it ^_^

I figured he would.  It’s even been a hit on Weber’s own forum.

At that, Weber isn’t nearly as great a sinner in this regard as the “master of alternate history”, Harry Turtledove, who has this very, very, very bad habit of repeating a certain character’s defining trait or characteristic several times per novel, particularly in multi-volume series. In one particularly egregious example, which occurred in his so-called TL-191* series (also known as Southern Victory, a mega-series “if the South had won the Civil War” scenario of something like 11 books which began with How Few Remain in 1997 and ended with In At The Death sometime around 2008), one of his main characters has a terrible problem with sunburn. Okay. The problem is that Turtledove has to inform the reader of that fact over…and over…and over…and over…and over again across 10 books, always at least two or three times per book. One gets the impression sometimes that the Professor repeats himself so much because he’s being paid by the word.

*This fan nickname refers to “Special Orders 191”, a set of orders that Robert E. Lee issued to his Confederate Army of Northern Virginia during the Maryland campaign in 1862 which got lost and recovered by the Union, and very nearly resulted in the Rebels being annihilated at the Battle of Antietam. The “point of divergence” here, to use a term of art popular in the alternate-history fan community, is that those orders were never lost, and Lee defeated McClellan decisively, leading to Anglo-French recognition of the Confederacy and the end of the war in favor of the South.

• LittlePuffyTail

So many interesting books you’re all reading! I’d love to look into some of them, but I have like 30-40 in my “To Read” shelf. I buy them waaayy faster than I can read them. I’m a sucker for book fairs. I recently went to one and was like “I”m only going to buy 1 or 2. Only ones that look really amazing.” I left with a full tote bag…..but the money went to help rescue cats so all good right?

My mom also made me watch the show with her and I couldn’t get past how annoyingly juvenile babyface Jamie was.

Oh, dear…..I’m afraid we can no longer be social with one another….

• joea64
                                                      Participant

30 to 40 books, say you? This is my library (most of the bookcases, anyway) as of several months ago, excluding the stacks of books on the floor that I always have to move when I put up the X-pen so that Panda or Fernando isn’t tempted to take a nibble:

• joea64
                                                        Participant

And the rest of it (board software only seems to allow 8 attachments per post)

This doesn’t even count the books on my tablet (several hundred, I don’t know exactly how many), and I had to replace one of the five-shelf bookcases this past weekend because it was literally collapsing (cheap bookcases from Walmart and Target will do that, unfortunately).

• Q8bunny
                                                          Participant

LPT: Sorry… Jamie was ok in the books. But I’m not a romantic, and as a result I’m put off by popular leading men

• Bladesmith
                                                            Participant

Joe, I hadn’t heard of it, but I’m going to look it up
                                                              I’m so HAPPY to see so many of my fellow bunny slaves are bibliophiles! There’s nothing better than curling up with a good book and your bunny (I miss you, Clover) and a glass of your favorite libation.

Another recommendation, if anyone is a fan of Steampunk: Jim Butcher (Of Harry Dresden fame)’s “The Aeronaut’s Windlass”. I couldn’t put it down. And if you haven’t read his Harry Dresden series, you’re missing out on a treat.

Yes, I read a LOT of escapist SciFi/Fantasy. After years of having to read military/police training manuals, I like my escapist stories. Although, I am re-reading my US Army Survival manual, because you never know when you’ll need those skills.

And I’m reminded of one of my favorite quotes, from director John Waters; “If you go home with somebody, and they don’t have books, don’t f*** ’em!”
                                                              ― John Waters

• Gordo and Janice
                                                              Participant
                                                              703 posts Send Private Message

Ohhh, joea64, I am so jealous. Not of the book collection per se, but your ability in reading. So many books at once. And so many books period. My brain doesn’t work as efficiently. I am very left brained to the point of fault. I get hung up so much when I read. From the words, “Oh that’s a great word!”, to the number of words in the sentence, “odd or even”, the way the paragraphs are arranged on the page, ridiculous. I read and reread and then reread sentences. To think of what I have missed by not being able to read so efficiently and fluently…. Just unfortunate.

But good for you. And the rest of you readers actually. Such a great and beneficial hobby. What I would trade for such an ability.

P.S.  And it’s funny how you are maxing out the space as much as possible.  Seeing that one little book at the very top wedged in right up against the ceiling as there is literally no space left on the ends with books precariously leaning towards the edge.

• joea64
                                                                Participant

I’ll have to fix that, actually. I don’t want that old high-school trophy falling onto my TV, after all, even though I’ve been cogitating on getting a new one if only I can find a 32″ class with 1080p video (I’m not even sure if there’s any such beast).

Actually, I’ve been trying to winnow my library down some lately, because I’m literally out of room to shelve books; I’ve had to store a large number in my closet, recently bought boxes to pack more (and intend to go back to Walmart and get more), and still have at least four or five piles stacked up on the floor. I’ve been selling some of the more potentially valuable “discards” on Amazon and have, in fact, already made $160 or so, which will keep Panda and Fernando in hay, pellets and litter for the rest of the year.

• Asriel and Bombur
                                                                  Participant

I know up here in Boston you can donate them to the library. You could also maybe just sell them as a yard sale thing. You’d be surprised what random people are interested in.

I used to have hundreds of books when I was a teenager, but sadly college beat the love of reading out of me for a while, and it took until I was 25 to really get back into it a get. I’m still a little spotty… but it’s the thought that counts

G&J- I actually used to be pretty right brained and could visualize every aspect of a story and the characters. Once I got into finance and accounting, I really had to retune my brain to be more left brained, and now reading sometimes seems like such a challenge. I can no longer visualize characters, and find myself more focusing on the organization of everything. It’s quite annoying! What I wouldn’t give to not trade my right brained side.

• LittlePuffyTail

Joea64- Wow, that’s impressive!!!! I have 30-40 in my “to read” pile. My actual book collection, no idea. I have 2 big bookcases full and several boxes. I have to keep thinning it out due to space. I only keep the ones that I really loved and only historical fiction that fits my certain themes (Tudors, Renaissance, Ancient Egypt, etc).

“I used to have hundreds of books when I was a teenager”

Same. I had a massive book collection as a teenager. I was always a big book lover. I would spend whole afternoons reading. Was nice having no other obligations….. I was a horse crazy kid so anything about horses, I especially loved The Saddle Club as a kid and in my teens was a huge “V.C. Andrews” fan. I had the whole collection and tore me up to sell it when I moved. 

It’s hard to part with books. I tend to fall in love with them. I love even the smell of books. I’m sure you book nerds can relate.  

But I’m not a romantic, and as a result I’m put off by popular leading men

I’m not a romantic either. I hate romance novels…but c’mon….

• Q8bunny
                                                                      Participant

And see, if I happened to come across that image in real life, I’d only have eyes for the horse.

• Bladesmith
                                                                        Participant

Posted By Q8bunny on 9/08/2018 7:08 AM

And see, if I happened to come across that image in real life, I’d only have eyes for the horse.

You think that’s bad?  I’d only have eyes for the sword!  (Get yer minds outta the gutters ya pervs.)

• Sonn
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          1810 posts Send Private Message

I am for the most part strictly a horror and sci-fi book reader.  I also tend to read 2-3 books at a time.

Currently I’m reading Stephen King’s Revival

And Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                            Moderator

Oh, I have eyes for the horse as well…envious eyes. Friesian horse. I call that my “lottery horse” cuz that’s the first thing I’m gonna buy. Have eyes for the horse’s tack too. Love old time tack….so gorgeous. My little black pony would look quite the mighty (yet tiny) steed in that!!!

Sonn- I’ve only ever read 1 Stephen King. It was a humongous hardcover of Desperation. I disliked it immensely. I don’t get why everyone (including my husband) loves Stephen King. After that book, I’m unwilling to give him another chance. I did watch the movie “Thinner” and thought it was okay. And I’m really weird. When I start a book, I have to finish it. I can’t stop, even if I hate it. My OCD maybe…..and I used to be able to read several novels at a time but can’t anymore. Brain is getting old. I do, however, usually have 1 fiction and 1 non-fiction on the go at the same time. 

• Gordo and Janice
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              703 posts Send Private Message

Speaking of Stephen King. I remember reading “The Shining” back when I was 12 years old (before my brain went full tilt left hemisphere) at home all by myself on a Wednesday night. I was totally freaked out. All the lights on in the house with me sitting in the living room in an advantageous centralized location where I could keep an eye on everything around me until the family returned home. So long ago….but I can still remember that feeling…and a lot of detail. Funny how that heightened sense of fear can imprint such detail in your memory. (That combined with being young, I’m sure that helped a bit too.)

• Q8bunny
                                                                                Participant

Posted By Bladesmith on 9/08/2018 7:39 AM

Posted By Q8bunny on 9/08/2018 7:08 AM

You think that’s bad?  I’d only have eyes for the sword!  (Get yer minds outta the gutters ya pervs.)

Too late.

• Hazel
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                  2587 posts Send Private Message

You guys are hilarious! 

Horses, giant swords, I guess I’ll have to give this a try.

Participant

@G&J: woops, it’s true what they say about horror films/books. Feel lonely? Watch/read one at night and you won’t feel alone until dawn.

• joea64
                                                                                      Participant

I have to admit that I haven’t read much Stephen King lately, even though his 11/22/63 sounds quite interesting from the alternate-history perspective. I’ve read most or all of his pre-1990 stuff – one of my favorites, paradoxically enough, is his nonfiction Danse Macabre, a review of genre fiction (mainly horror, of course) through the early 1980’s (the book was published in 1981/1982) – but I think Misery was the last of his novels that really engaged me.

• Asriel and Bombur
                                                                                        Participant

I actually just watched The Shining this weekend! I haven’t read it or watched it in years. The movie was more anti-climatic than I remembered. Now I’m wondering if the book is the same way? I read it like 10 years ago so I don’t really remember. I used to be a big Stephen King fan in middle school.

• Sonn
                                                                                          Participant

Whaaaaattt??? There are people who are NOT obsessed with Stephen King books???

I read other books but Stephen King is my go to author. I’m not much of a fan of his movies aside from a select few.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                            Moderator

• jerseygirl
                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                              22342 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Sonn on 9/10/2018 12:17 PM

Whaaaaattt??? There are people who are NOT obsessed with Stephen King books???

I read other books but Stephen King is my go to author. I’m not much of a fan of his movies aside from a select few.

I think one of the past forum leaders, KokaneeandKahlua, was a Stephen King fan. Or maybe Michael Crichton?   idk, my memory is sketchy.

Love the pics LPT!

Really enjoy looking over this thread and the discussion about left and right brain also! My niece is completing her final year of school and struggles sometimes with some concepts in her English class. She enjoys the subject but her brain has developed more for the math/science subjects now. She used to read a lot, but less so now. 

My own brain doesn’t allow for reading books much these days.   A few years back, it was my lifesaver, a great form of escape.

• Azerane
                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                4688 posts Send Private Message

I’ve never read Stephen King. Mostly because I have quite an active imagination, one which seems to work in overdrive if I’m scared. So thriller/scary type novels are out of the question for me, lol.

I’m currently still catching up a series I’ve been reading for some years. I’m on I think the 7th book, The Sound and the Furry. One more to go after that and then there’s another due to come out next year I think.

I love reading, but I seem to read in spurts. I can read and read for weeks on end, and then I won’t read for months. Then I’ll pick up a book again and read book after book for weeks again. I should stop by the library again and pick out some random things. It’s nice to revisit old favourites and continue with familiar series, but it’s also nice to read something new that you know nothing about.

Can’t remember who said on the previous page that they can’t even put a bad book down and have to read all the way through. Sometimes I’ll do that, but other times I have to put it down or it just becomes this awful chore. It depends if it’s the writing style or the story and characters.

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                  Participant

Anyone who likes or wants to try Stephen King should also try his son, Joe Hill. He’s clearly inherited his fathers gift, and in some ways, he’s better. And they should also try the father of modern horror, my favorite, H.P. Lovecraft.

• Rabbitpossm
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    66 posts Send Private Message

I used to love Stephen King books! lately I haven’t been able to dig them that much though :/ I reread salems lot recently which used to be one of my favourites and :/
                                                                                                      I might check out Joe Hill though!.

The best book I’ve read this year is one that I kept seeing around for a while and noticed because well… predictably, rabbit was in the title. But every time I was at the library forgot the title and never wrote it down. Ended up buying it when I found it for cheap at a used book store. SO glad I did, one of the few books I want to reread. I highly, highly recommend it. Called “When God was a Rabbit”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8874743-when-god-was-a-rabbit

• Sonn
                                                                                                      Participant

I love Joe Hill. Almost more than Stephen King…almost. Ohhh HP I absolutely love The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Tales specifically The Shadow over Innsmouth.

I’ve always been a big reader. If I could I would line every wall in my house with books. When I was younger my mom used to have to force me not to read 2-3 books in a single day.

Jersey I always struggled in English as well (aside from the writing aspect) but math and science are where I excel. My brain doesn’t grasp most of the concepts of English classes.

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                        Participant

I’m on book 7 of the Amelia Peabody series now, and can’t stop! I’m devouring them too quickly! ?

• MoxieMeadows
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                          5375 posts Send Private Message

I have so many books on my reading list right now, but all of my obligations make finding the time to read quite difficult! I am currently reading “Life inside my mind” edited by Jessica Burkhart for a school project. But in my spare time I am currently reading “It” by Stephen King. I recently went to the book store which was having a sale and I purchased quite a few books which I hope to start soon. I will list them when I get the chance

Participant

Re-reading “Toll the Hounds” from the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. I got completely lost in all the plot tangles, flashbacks and the whole cast of characters. It’s a great fantasy series but rather complex, you nearly have to keep notes to follow all the characters and plotlines.

Viewing 51 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Watcha Reading????