Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Vibes for my Squirrel please!

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
    • Monkeybun
      Participant
      10479 posts Send Private Message

My little bunny man Squirrel needs some good vibes sent his way. He has developed cataracts in both his eyes, and he’s still a young bun, only 4 years old. The little dude is deaf too, so if he ends up going blind, he’s going to be one miserable boy Please send him some good energy!

• Roberta
        Participant
        4355 posts Send Private Message

Mega vibes for Squirrel bunny…… Sweet baby to go through so much so young.

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

(((((Squirrel)))))

Oh Monkeybun, I am so sad to read this…..
            But I hope I can give you some good news about being deaf and blind? My Sam (dog) who admittedly is OLD is both deaf and blind and she still manages just well (sort of?). I have no idea how, but she does. I think she relies on smell? And nothing changing in her path. But she sticks to me like glue – like right now, she is right next to me and I know when I get up to go to the kitchen she will follow me, and then to the table and back again…… when something is left in her way, she will walk into it. Why I think she follows me.
            I know a bunny is way different to a dog, but Sam is my only experience and I wanted to give you some hope there will still be quality of life.

Poor Squirrel….. I am so sorry! It really did break my heart to read this Monkeybun.

• MoxieMeadows
            Participant
            5375 posts Send Private Message

(((((VIBES!!!!!!!!)))))

• JackRabbit
              Participant
              5451 posts Send Private Message

{{{{{Squirrel}}}}}

• Bam
                16836 posts Send Private Message

((((((((Squirrel)))))))))

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

Poor baby – vibes for little Squirrel!

• Sindri
                    Participant
                    1515 posts Send Private Message

((((((((((((Squirrel))))))))))))

• Eepster
                      Participant
                      1236 posts Send Private Message

((((Squirrel vibes)))))

• Monkeybun
                        Participant

His vet appointment is tomorrow morning, was the earliest I could get him in.

The hardest part, is with the separation with my husband. He was going to take the buns, but with this, he said if Squirrel goes blind too, he can’t handle it. So now I will have to take Squirrel with me and hope I can find a place that will allow bunnies. IF he goes blind.

• MoxieMeadows
                          Participant

(((More vibes)))

• jerseygirl
                            22338 posts Send Private Message

{{{Squirrel}}} !
                              I hope the appt gives some positive feedback. Will they test for EC do you think?

The little dude is deaf too, so if he ends up going blind, he’s going to be one miserable boy

Not necessarily… They can amaze you how they adjust & cope. Especially if loss of sight is gradual.

• LBJ10
                              16869 posts Send Private Message

Poor little Squirrel. =( Hope the vet visit brings good news.

• Sarita
                                Participant
                                18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh gosh, I didn’t know you were separated…I’m so sorry to hear that – I hope it works out in a way that is satisfactory to you…hugs.

• Sindri
                                  Participant
                                  1515 posts Send Private Message

((((((( Vibes for both you and Squirrel)))))))

• MK
                                    Participant
                                    751 posts Send Private Message

((((Squirrel)))) I know a lady that has one blind bunny, one of the other bunnies is her eyes! He leads her around. So yes, they will amaze you how they can cope.

• MoxieMeadows
                                      Participant

I just want to echo what some of the others are saying, bunnies have amazing ways to cope, and/or help each other out. *If* he goes blind, he won’t necessarily be miserable. No matter who it is, an animal or person, they can still have a great life and contribute to others even if they have “disabilities”.

I mean take Helen Keller for example, (although she was a person) she overcame the obstacles of deafness and blindness, lived an amazing life learning and teaching others.

• Deleted User
                                        Participant
                                        22064 posts Send Private Message

That’s why I wanted to emphasize my Sam…. like I mentioned she follows me like chewing gum stuck on my shoe, ha ha ha! When I am walking here and there, I must exhaust her??? And sometimes if I turn around to quickly to go back to get something, I’ll literally walk into her cause she is right on my heel. Poor baby.
                                          But I promise you, she is happy and content. She just wants the security of knowing we are here in her home/surrounding’s.
                                          And honestly, that’s why I think Henry loves her so much – she can’t hear him coming or see him trying to cuddle with her, lol! But when he gets to close, touches her without warning – she will snap at him as if to say ‘back up bunny’!
                                          Sadly, Henry doesn’t take the hint – I’m sure she thinks ‘why do I have to put up with this bunny, I didn’t ask for him’…….

• Monkeybun
                                          Participant

He’s on some meds now in case its a parasite, won’t get that blood test back until next week though. He doesn’t have diabetes, thankfully. that would be hard to treat. He’s been stressed all day, demanding some serious snuggles. I took the day off work to hang with him.

His cataracts are permanent, the vet doesn’t want to do surgery unless they get drastically worse, he still has some vision right now.

• JPetrucci84
                                            Participant
                                            256 posts Send Private Message

Posted By AndHenry on 3/04/2015 6:03 PM

I’ll literally walk into her cause she is right on my heel. Poor baby. 

Okay so this isn’t just me! I swear I have to apologize to Cinder with petting because she’s ALWAYS around me getting knocked around little because she’s right under me.  She always responds with grooming, though

• JPetrucci84
                                              Participant
                                              256 posts Send Private Message

Oh and best of wishes for you and Squirrel.

• Diamond
                                                Participant
                                                459 posts Send Private Message

I’d like to add that wild rabbits spend a lot of time underground, and there isn’t much light down there. All the same, good vibes.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Poor Squirrel. Sorry to hear this. (((((Squirrel Vibes))))))

• Sonn
                                                    Participant
                                                    1810 posts Send Private Message

{{{{{Squirrel}}}}}

• MoxieMeadows
                                                      Participant

(((((Squirrel!!)))))

• Megabunny
                                                        Participant
                                                        2041 posts Send Private Message

I’m betting Squirrel will adjust with no trouble, but I feel badly for you and all you’re going through. I guess that could take longer for the poor bunny to adjust if he can’t see AND has to move. But he will probably surprise us all!

• MimzMum
                                                          Participant
                                                          8029 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with so much right now, MB. ((((((Hugs)))))) Vibes being sent for wee Squirrel and for you too. You can always PM me if you need an ear. <3

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                            Participant
                                                            12067 posts Send Private Message

{{{{Vibes}}}}

Don’t forget Chuck-my little Hellen Keller bunny-he was pretty happy and easy to care for Such a sweet guy. You just make sure there isn’t anything to fall down and they make out quite well. Everyone who saw him was like ‘are you sure he’s blind?” (yup! And deaf too!) Obviously not the best case, but he did good

• LongEaredLions
                                                              Participant
                                                              4482 posts Send Private Message

(((((Squirrel)))))
                                                                It always surprises me how well animals adapt. Hugs to you and him. <3

• RabbitPam
                                                                11002 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t been online much lately, but I saw this and just want to send love and healing vibes to Squirrel.
                                                                  {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}}}}}}}

• BinkyBunny
                                                                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry. I know that sometimes these kinds of things are harder on us than they really are on our bunnies. Not to say they won’t have to get through some things that are challenging for them.

Some bunnies can really adapt well to being deaf and blind. They are sensitive to vibration and their whiskers help direct them. Vivian went blind first (cataracts, then glaucoma in one eye). and then began doing deaf, but she did adapt well. (for a week she was a bit stressed out as the blindness came on suddenly in one eye – due to glaucoma) The gradual loss of vision due to cataracts was easier.

She was stressed at first (for about a week). But then, as she became confident in her surroundings, and I learned tricks to prevent from startling her, she began to settle down. I would tap on the floor near her, and then I would gently touch her whiskers before I pet her. That let her know I was nearby before she felt the touch. 

It was also very important for me to keep everything in the same place. She explored the house less, and eventually just kept to one room (the bunny room). The one thing I did have to watch out for was when I put hay into her racks and litter box that there weren’t any sticky out sharper pieces that could poke her in the eye. (that can then cause injury/ulcer) 

Sometimes when she was sleeping, and she woke up she would be disoriented about where she was in the room, and I would watch her try to figure it out, sometimes she would slightly bump into something, but then she’d soon get oriented. At first, it hurt my heart to see her struggling for even a second, but she figured it out and then I learned that she would be okay.

I know each bunny is different and how they adapt to challenges will be individual, but like Diamond mentioned (that their wild cousins, spend time underground) and rabbits are well equipped to feel vibrations and find their way with their whiskers. (just keep things the same!) And so you might find that things will be okay.

• Monkeybun
                                                                    Participant

Little update, all his bloodwork came back completely normal. No diseases to be found. So his blindness is a quirk of his genes. That said, he’s now completely blind in one eye, and almost completely blind in the other, he’s been being more cautious, and no longer shoves his litter box around lol. I’ve been leaving his stuff where he leaves it, so he knows where it all is. And he’s still eating fine, so yay for that! He does startle easily if he doesn’t realize I am there, but he’s slowly getting used to me tapping the floor near him so he doesn’t freak out at that now. And he loves snuggles a TON more now.

Poor little bunny man, nature threw him a tough one, going blind so quick!

• jerseygirl
                                                                      22338 posts Send Private Message

Good to hear he’s doing okay. Their sense of smell can be keen too. I think they pick up on your scent when you approach. Jelly always surprised me how he knew I was nearby.

Great to hear the bloodwork was clean. One less thing to worry about at least. And no more medicating?

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        18092 posts Send Private Message

Poor little guy. But I’m glad to hear his bloodwork is okay. (((((Hugs for Squirrel))))

• MimzMum
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          8029 posts Send Private Message

Glad to hear there’s no underlying disease. Still sad though that he can’t see, but he sounds like he’s adapting well.
                                                                            How are you holding up, MB? ((((Hugs))))

• Monkeybun
                                                                            Participant

I’m holding up ok. I’m glad there is no underlying disease, as it would be hard to pay for meds and surgery on my own. But at the same time, it would be nice to have it somewhat stoppable! But no… he’s just going to be my little oblivious man lol. Right now he’s totally flopped out on the floor, using his dinner plate as a pillow. Silly boy.

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Vibes for my Squirrel please!