Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Oopsies…

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      8930 posts Send Private Message

Well, I am reluctant to post this, I hope that people won’t judge me or think that I trying to “replace” Moose too soon… but Bertha went on a very good date today. I was on the fence about when/if we would try to re-bond her… but I decided that just because I’m sad doesn’t mean she should be lonely any longer than she has to. She was starting to show her “lonely signs”, so I decided to at least start thinking about it…

So, yesterday I went by the shelter… just to see who was available. And Oh boy… here we go again. I originally went in to see this rex that was suggested by the shelter, but instead got wooed by this little REW (named “Bun Jovi”, lol). He’s 8 years old, and twice widowed (just like Bertha). His last mate passed away over the summer, and he was just returned to the shelter for the second time. Very calm, SUPER affectionate… he would not let me stop petting him once I started. Basically seemed like a male version of Bertha personality wise…. I practically scooped him up and took him home with me right then. It was like he crawled right into my heart…

I took Bertha in for a date today, and it was the best first date I’ve ever seen her on (and she has been on a LOT of dates over the years at this point).  The first few minutes she basically ignored him, and he followed her (not chased!), ears forward, kept a respectful distance, but obviously interested. A few times they came close together, sniffed, and parted ways. We prob pushed them a bit too long (doh!), but at one point they both were asking for grooms, the shelter person pet them both, and the Bertha started grooming him! Like, a lot! But then if we stopped petting her, she would stop and look at us for more. Things got a little testy after that, but nothing serious (Bun Jovi just got a little demanding).

So, long story short, he’s home with me now in foster care. Plan is to let him settle and do pre-bonding etc. He’s very confident and already seems right at home.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s wonderful that you want Bertha to have a companion. You certainly know best what is the right thing for her, and that now is the time to go ahead and find her a friend. It’s so nice that you brought home Bun Jovi. Not many people are going to adopt an 8 year old rabbit. It’s sad to know that he was returned to the shelter twice, but happy news to hear that he is home with you. I hope that the bonding will be quick and easy and that Bertha and Bun Jovi will have many happy years together.

• jerseygirl
          22342 posts Send Private Message

<3 <3 <3 This warms the heart. He's lovely, Dana.
            Fingers crossed for a swift bond. It sounds very promising!

• LBJ10
            16898 posts Send Private Message

Aww! How adorable! I’m sure they will make the perfect pair!

• sarahthegemini
              Participant
              5584 posts Send Private Message

It’s so kind of you to put your own grief aside to do what’s best for Bertha. It really warms my heart. And he’s a very handsome boy, so sweet looking! I look forward to reading your bonding journey when the time comes

• Sirius&Luna
                Participant
                2319 posts Send Private Message

This sounds so promising! I’m sure no one will think you’re trying to replace Moose – of course he’s irreplaceable, but you’re doing what’s best for Bertha, and saving another beautiful bunny.

I’m looking forward to the bonding journal

Also Bun Jovi… I love it. Is that name sticking?

• Vienna Blue in France
                  Participant
                  5317 posts Send Private Message

Sterling, what you done? Run away from Bindiloo??? !!!! ?????
                    Ohhh its Bun Jovi !!! Lol.
                    Ohhhhh its soooooooooo cute and such a lovely story.
                    Replace Moose ??? Durrrrr. Never !!!!!

So why was he in the rescue??? Being widowed isnt a reason itself !?

Well done you xx

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Oh that’s so great! I think we all know that you just want what’s best for the buns Dana Of course you’re still mourning Moose, and nothing can be done to change that. But Bertha deserves another chance at happiness!

• DanaNM

Thanks guys.

Vienna, the rescue said his last companion passed over the summer, and the family cited “family reasons” for returning him. Things have been crazy in Santa Barbara lately (with the fires and now the mudslides), so who knows what happened. It’s clear that he was well cared for and well loved… so I feel sad for both them and him. I think both times he’s been adopted out it’s been part of a pair, and then returned as a single bun when the other passed. So sad . I wonder if his families felt bad having him alone, but didn’t feel up for the task of re-bonding? Idk how you could give this little dude up…

My husband loves him already too…. I knew he would (who wouldn’t love a bunny that just immediately flattens out for pets?). We now have a joke that every time he goes out of town I get a bunny, so he better stop going out of town so much (the last three have been acquired while he was gone).

Bonus, Bun Jovi isn’t phased by my cat Toby at all! Not sure if it’s because he can’t see him that well (he’s a black cat), but it’s great. Some bunnies we’ve had would run from Toby… so he would chase… so they would run… etc. Toby used to pick on Moose a bit and it drove me crazy. Bertha on the other hand takes no s#*& from Toby, so they are great together. I wonder if Bun Jovi had cats in one of his past homes?

I do think Bertha will be happier (although she is not too stoked on having her space restricted at the moment…. ha). There was a whole element to grieving Moose where I would look at her alone and feel so sad for her, especially overnight and while we are away at work. Who knows how much I am projecting though… maybe she has been enjoying getting to leisurely eat her meals and not having to share? I doubt it though. :p

Also still deciding whether we’ll keep the name. It’s pretty cute and silly, and it has been his name for most of his life, but not sure he knows that haha. He doesn’t respond to it really. Considering: Snowball 3 (it’s a Simpson’s reference), Falkor (the luck dragon), or Bon Bon… I’ve just been calling him “Bun Bun”, but I call all bunnies that.

We were happy to find a healthy senior bun with our history of having young bunnies with medical problems (Moose and Pippen before that). He’s a great hay eater, and his poops look perfect. He’s got a little bit of an “old man wobble” (as they say at the rescue), but over all seems very fit.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Deleted User
                        Participant

Awww a bunny pancake is the best! Just the other night I was laying on the floor petting Ophelia and she turned into a flattened puddle of fur and was so content, she let me pet her for nearly 20 minutes!

Good luck with everything and kudos to you for wanting to jump back on the bonding wagon…. I’m still sooo salty about my failed attempt XD

• joea64
                          Participant
                          1423 posts Send Private Message

That’s fantastic!! Except for the ears (which are a touch longer), he looks like an identical twin of my own Fernando. Good luck on the bonding!

• DanaNM

Aww, yeah, I definitely have that “here we go again” feeling… Hoping that this round will be the easiest…I really don’t want to put too much stress on either bunny. 

Don’t beat yourself up BunNoob! … with Bertha the first time bonding to Bunston was HARD (had to start with 30 sec dates and so much stressing because they would fight), second time to JP failed after 5 months of being “bonded” (resulted in her being injured… I felt soooo bad about all of it), third time to Moose was average (about 6 weeks) in terms of the process. 

I have noticed that bunnies who were either bonded before or grew up with their siblings have an easier time communicating, so they seem less likely to resort to fighting. They say at the rescue that mosts rabbits don’t speak rabbit, as they grow up alone, so it takes them time to figure things out. I’m thinking that might be why things went so well on this date with Bun Jovi. Both buns had been bonded more than once, so they probably have that “here we go again” feeling too! So if you ever do decide to try again, look for a bunny that has been bonded before or grew up with siblings.

• Deleted User
                              Participant

Yeah, unfortunately I was just stupid at first When I got Ophelia, I didn’t know about the rabbit rescue. When I got Quincy, I was just being the classic “I want a baby bunny not a rescue with a bad attitude cause they’ve been mistreated”. . . . I realize now that was totally ignorant of me and wish I hadn’t been so naïve. There are some super sweet buns in rescues! But now I know better for next go around…

And I definitely think that those are important factors in bonding success! If they have previously been able to have a relationship with another bun, then they probably recognize that it’s not so bad and have learned some sort of “etiquette” for dealing with other buns. Whereas a bun raised alone hasn’t got the first clue how to get along with another one. Given the history of your two, it sure does sound promising! He’s a very good looking bun, btw Age is just a number, eh?

• Deleted User
                                Participant

This is so exciting, and he is absolutely adorable! congrats on her potential bunmate! I think it was a beautiful thing to put aside your grief to adopt this fluffball and think of Bertha.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                  Participant

FALKOOOOOOOOOR !!!!!!!!!

I L.O.V.E. Falkor. I’ve even ridden on him !! The real one (he was a bit stinky!!!) rofl
                                    I have a photo to prooooove it.

• DanaNM

Lol! So we got one vote for Falkor

• Q8bunny
                                      Participant
                                      6345 posts Send Private Message

(waiting with bated breath while “Can You Feel the Love” plays in head)

• Vienna Blue in France
                                        Participant

Errr Q8….. ????? Thats Simba/Scar/Pumba….. ???

• Q8bunny
                                          Participant

That’s also Elton John on the concert video playing in my favourite steak house

• Vienna Blue in France
                                            Participant

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I understand. You really do want immediate decisions !!!
                                              Bon appétit !!

• DanaNM

Lol!

You mean that scene when Simba falls for Nala? His sister…?! 0_o

My husband isn’t helping me be patient with settling in/pre bonding, he’s been joking “I think their bonded, I think we can put the together.”

Ha!

So far though there hasn’t been a marking war, and Bun Jovi already seems right at home, so things are looking good still.

• pinknfwuffy
                                                Participant
                                                660 posts Send Private Message

Eeeeee. REW! My heart ezzzzploded.

Congratulations on the new addition. I hope all goes well with bonding – they sound like they were meant to find one another.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                  Participant

HALF sister… in fact, officially, do we actually know who her father is?? Hmmmmm ?? Maybe Scar….

• DanaNM

Lol!

In other news, this happened last night: 

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                      Participant

Rofl Dana. I really don’t think Falkor is fitting in !!!!!! You’ll have to send him over to France !!!!!
                                                        He’s up for knocking Olaf off the “pop-up actors” Oscar this year !!!
                                                        Thanks for the laugh !
                                                        He really is veeeeery cute. And Falkor’s not bad either !!!!!!!!

• Bam
                                                        16871 posts Send Private Message

Goodness Dana, what a little darling!

• Jessica
                                                          Participant
                                                          163 posts Send Private Message

Hi everybunny, been so busy. My computer died yay for me ? and flopsy is doing well. Had a little issues with gi statis cause of stress but has been doing awesome. Stress was our next door neighbors remodeling. Glad to see everyone again.

• jerseygirl

Love the piccie!

Posted By DanaNM on 1/12/2018 9:59 AM

Lol!

You mean that scene when Simba falls for Nala? His sister…?! 0_o

My husband isn’t helping me be patient with settling in/pre bonding, he’s been joking “I think their bonded, I think we can put the together.”

Ha!

So far though there hasn’t been a marking war, and Bun Jovi already seems right at home, so things are looking good still.

Devils advocate here, Im kinda thinking maybe you should try them together too.    Some buns will just go together like that. 

• jerseygirl

Posted By Jessica on 1/13/2018 8:34 PM

Hi everybunny, been so busy. My computer died yay for me ? and flopsy is doing well. Had a little issues with gi statis cause of stress but has been doing awesome. Stress was our next door neighbors remodeling. Glad to see everyone again.

Hiya Jessica   Glad you’ve got the tech sorted and are able to update us on you and Flopsy. Hope he’s doing better since the stasis episode.

Did you mean to post in this thread or Chat thread? No biggie, im just curious. I wouldn’t be able to move any posts regardless. 

• DanaNM

Devils advocate here, Im kinda thinking maybe you should try them together too.    Some buns will just go together like that. 

Hahaha, yes I’ve been very tempted, especially since Bun Jovi already seems right at home…. there hasn’t been any marking or poop wars, and they seem interested in each other through the fence, but not aggressive. They tend to sleep near each other in their separate condos too… 

I do want to make sure Bun Jovi’s eye doesn’t get worse though (I posted in another thread about it)… but maybe we could try a bath tub date :p 

• DanaNM

Bun Jovi has been binky-ing all over the place and re-testing our bunny proofing! 

Came home from a movie the other night to find him sitting on top of his hay rack, munching away: 

• Luna
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    2219 posts Send Private Message

I missed this?! He’s adorable . Behr? Sherwin? Sherman?

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                      Participant

Hes a MINI Sterling. He looked bigger than that in the photos!!! LOL.
                                                                        Still gorgeous….

• Q8bunny
                                                                        Participant

*humming It’s My Life while munching on top of the hay rack*

• DanaNM
                                                                          Moderator

Yes he really is just a little pip- squeak! Probably about 1/3 the size of Bertha!

Took the a chance and plopped them in the bath tub for a few minutes last night. Both demanded grooms and nipped when not obliged, so basically ended up just petting them both for about 5 minutes then called it. The first date ended on a testy note, so wanted to break that association. The funniest moment was BJ shoving his head under Bertha from the side, and her looking confused, then peeing… I’m amazed she didn’t pee on his head!

I think we’ll go for a car ride next….

I will say Bertha is acting like her old sassy self, so I think having him around has cheered her up.

Viewing 34 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Oopsies…