Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Nov chat

Viewing 503 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gina.Jenny
      Participant
      2244 posts Send Private Message

Snickers, Podge and Chewie

I’ll let others add more names to the ever growing list of whitish rabbits

• AndHenry
      Participant
      4531 posts Send Private Message

Hazel??? How is Oscar AND Lily????

Don’t ever think I forgot you – NEVER!

Bubble’s??? Lol….

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant
      5317 posts Send Private Message

Sterling Sterling Sterling !!

Bindi Bindi Bindi !!

Henry’s belly ! Henry’s belly ! Henry’s belly ! Henry’s belly ! Henry’s belly !

• Bam
      14364 posts Send Private Message

Chewie, Bindi, Sterling, Henry’s belly, Autumn’s belly, Snickers, Podge, Roxi, Lionel, Olaf et al.

• Roxy & Nibbles
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Rocket…

A little off topic… I Am new to the forum, could anyone assist me on how to post a new thread, I can’t seem to find a “New Topic” or “New Thread” button anywhere.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

• AndHenry
      Participant

HUH? Lol….

• AndHenry
      Participant

PS – I can’t open the PM. I have tried. Sorry.

• jerseygirl
      22210 posts Send Private Message

Frankie! Frankie! Frankie!

(I’m saving Chewie for December because Q8 said that’s when he is the most white.

• jerseygirl

Oh! And Flopsy Flopsy Flopsy. That is my house guest this week. Big white REW bunneh.

• jerseygirl

Andi, I was going ask you about your message centre. Charlie’s Angel is having a problem also and not first time she’s experienced it.

• Bam

Oh Andi, I’ve Pmed you, now I understand you haven’t been able to open my messages!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the beautiful postcard! It arrived last week (we’ve been having ridiculous postal problems here lately). I’d love to send you a postcard from Sweden =)

Roxy and Nibbles: You first choose a sub-forum where you think your post fits. House Rabbit Q&A, Diet &Care and so on. Then you get a page that looks like this screenshot I just made. I circled the Add Topic-button in red:

If it still won’t work, PM me and I’ll help.

• AndHenry
      Participant

I wanted to tell Roxy that I will help her if no one else does….. Being the new chick is awful!

• jerseygirl

Posted By Roxy & Nibbles on 11/01/2016 5:47 AM
      Rocket…

A little off topic… I Am new to the forum, could anyone assist me on how to post a new thread, I can’t seem to find a “New Topic” or “New Thread” button anywhere.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Welcome! No inconvenience. Always best to ask.
      Just go to the appropriate sub-forum (ie. Q&A, Diet, Behaviour etc)
      At the top of the list of topics on the left hand side there is a “button” to start a new topic.

• jerseygirl

Sorry, I didn’t see this had already been addressed.

By the way, your question (Roxy & Nibbles) wasn’t here when I visited this thread before. Then it appeared in the middle of posts that were already there.
      I think once a new members post is approved, it appears in sequence of how the thread was when you submitted it. I’m probably not making sense. I’m just pointing this out as things can look out of context when a post appears in the middle of others that wasn’t there before. Strange occurrence!

• Deleted User
      Participant
      17455 posts Send Private Message

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie

Beat too it by Jersey Girl!

• jerseygirl

Haha! Yes, I was marvelling at how white he was in your intro thread for him and had thought “I must remember him for beginning of the month!” Im actually amazed my memory came through for me.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Ohhh FRANKIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Roxy – Sorry. It seems as if my post of 2 smiles (which was aimed at bam’s previous post) is meant for you – it wasn’t at all
      But we wrote at the same time and your post slipped in before mine…. oops.

I think others have answered your question for a new topic

• jerseygirl

Ooh OooH!
      PPFDOTM ANR !

• Q8bunny
      Participant
      6345 posts Send Private Message

Hi! *waves*

Just want to say thank you for reaching out. I still feel awful about what happened; it coincided with midterm exams and the 48 hours I have to mark 47×20 pages AND enter report card grades. When I finally emerged and looked at my phone… let’s just say Chewie’s neck fur got a bit wet after reading my email. We love you guys. xoxo

• Hazel
      Participant
      2269 posts Send Private Message

LBJ: The death penalty is a big one. Hopefully it will get a few extra people to go out and vote!

I do enjoy politics, as long as it’s about the actual issues rather than the politicians.

Andi: Good to see you posting again! All the critters are fine, thanks. We do have a second cat now, I know you’ll be happy to hear that!  He’s a pain in the butt. And don’t get me started on Bubbles… We keep trying to give him away, but nobody wants him. Probably because of the smell.  How are your fur babies doing? Is Henry behaving himself?

We didn’t see any trick or treaters, it was actually eerily quiet outside, like nobody was even out there. So that was kind of creepy…

Halloween is great for kids, of course they enjoy it. But on the other hand I think it’s kind of odd how we teach them about “stranger danger” and not to take any candy from people they don’t know, but then one day of the year, it’s totally fine to knock on strangers doors and take whatever they hand out… Conflicting messages? We don’t have kids though, so I don’t have to worry about it.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

bum bum bum – you won !!

Well for that- AKAAFFBSQ ANR…

• jerseygirl

Q8 *waves back*

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Hiiii ! *waves back enthusiastically*

If you want a good laugh (and you like Ellen) check out her youtube Halloween Sia interpretation with Heidi Klum. I lol’d….
      (Got to be brave getting up on stage with the ‘body’ costume on !!)

• jerseygirl

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 11/01/2016 8:45 AM

bum bum bum – you won !!

Well for that- AKAAFFBSQ ANR…

Heyyy! Can you do that? I said ANR. Doesn’t that mean I’m safe from any physical (or virtual) retaliation of any kind?  Where’s the rule book?!!

• jerseygirl

Halloween is great for kids, of course they enjoy it. But on the other hand I think it’s kind of odd how we teach them about “stranger danger” and not to take any candy from people they don’t know, but then one day of the year, it’s totally fine to knock on strangers doors and take whatever they hand out… Conflicting messages? 

@Hazel: Good point! 

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

@Jersey – “yeah but, yeah but, yeah but” I didn’t PAP you, I KAF you.. so not the same…..
      (That’s my story of the rule book and I’m sticking with it… )

• AndHenry
      Participant

I love Hazel!

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Posted By Q8bunny on 11/01/2016 8:44 AM

Hi! *waves*

Just want to say thank you for reaching out. I still feel awful about what happened; it coincided with midterm exams and the 48 hours I have to mark 47×20 pages AND enter report card grades. When I finally emerged and looked at my phone… let’s just say Chewie’s neck fur got a bit wet after reading my email. We love you guys. xoxo

Yay wb wow, that’s is a lot of work for 48 hrs

• LongEaredLions
      Participant
      4482 posts Send Private Message

I am ready for the time change…any more sleep would be so much better!

• AndHenry
      Participant

Hang on! LOL!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

@Andi – there’s obviously some connection with the name ‘Henry’…

• AndHenry
      Participant

Told YOU!!! Damn Henry! LOL!

• AndHenry
      Participant

You have a second cat Hazel???

• LBJ10
      14398 posts Send Private Message

Leopold’s tummy, Wooly’s blaze!

Hazel – of course! But sadly, it has turned into a reality tv show where drama is created just to get ratings.
      I think the issues on our ballot will definitely get more people out the vote. The ballot is confusing though (talked to early voters). You’re voting to either repeal the repeal or retain the repeal.

Andi – we can’t ban you, how else will we see Henry pictures?

• LBJ10

Hi Q8!!! *waves* I sent you a message too.

• Dface
      Participant
      1081 posts Send Private Message

60% of Sampras
      Yumi’s feet nose and tail

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant
      5367 posts Send Private Message

We’ve been having some computer issues, (plus being tremendously busy) so I haven’t been on much. I will definitely do better at keeping up with the chat this month though.

• LBJ10

MOXIE!!!!!!!

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

LBJ!!!!!!!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
      Participant
      1988 posts Send Private Message

Yay, I’m glad you’re back Q8! Glad you got my message ^_^

I’m really happy that we’re getting a new neighbour in the apartment across the hall from us. We met briefly today when I went out for groceries. She doesn’t appear to be the “play loud music and smoke weed all day”-type. We already have plenty of those in the building.
      Yay for more decent folk 🙂

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Maybe I’ll make it to the big 5000 this month?

• LBJ10

I think you might!

• AndHenry
      Participant

So you got my post card? 

• Bam

Dear Andi, I was so happy to get that postcard =) =) =)

• LBJ10

Wait, what? Smokie who?

• Hazel
      Participant

Posted By AndHenry on 11/01/2016 10:38 AM

You have a second cat Hazel???? How is Lily and Oscar feelign about that? I’m not happy! LOL!
      I thought I was moving in??? I’m not good at sharing…….

Ha ha ha ha!

This is how Lily felt about it when we brought him home:

They’re pretty good friends now though.

Him and Oscar have some weird bromance going on…

• Dface
      Participant

Hazel – Your pets are picture perfect. I really love the first picture. It summarizes everything about cats so well

• Azerane
      4422 posts Send Private Message

I’ve booked Apollo and Luna in to be microchipped When I had Bandit I got him done under anaesthetic when he was neutered, but there’s an event/promotion going on to get lots of pets chipped and it’s only $10, so I figure it’s worth getting them done. I’ve no idea how I would ever manage to lose an indoor bunny, but you never know what may happen. They’re not going to like me very much, but they’ll live

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Like you say Az, you never know. I just wonder who would think to look for a chip if they were found…. But theyre never going to go astray, so its a win win situation

• Azerane

Most vets would. When we first took Dory in to the vet because of a respiratory infection the vet asked if we’d had her checked for a chip, which we had, but he checked her again anyway. Bandit actually had a tattoo in his right ear to indicate that he was chipped (de-sexing tattoo goes in the left ear). Apollo and Luna won’t get that, but at least I know they can be traced back to me

Just had a horrible moment where dinner was almost ruined. I’m cooking chicken, I opened the oven to turn the chicken and discovered I’d somehow left that absorbent packet in with the chicken when I’d put it in the dish… Google to the rescue however, turns out it’s perfectly safe if the packet hasn’t melted or burst, and thankfully it hadn’t done either.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Yes vets of course, yes.

“Google to the rescue” lolol

Participant

Whew, close call Azerane

• BunnyFriends
      Participant
      383 posts Send Private Message

Hazel – that first picture.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

LOVE the pics Hazel – Is Oscar’s ‘enclosure’ (and Mosby’s!! ) hand made…. it looks very solid and maybe what I am looking to do across my whole room 4m wide… (an extendable baby gate over 4m would never hold the bun’s pulling and pushing…!)

• Dface
      Participant

Got Sampras his vaccine -only 6 days and I can resume my normal carefree life of throwing my shoes and clothes wherever I feel like in the room!
      ( I’ll have to find a new excuse to not go outside and exercise now)
      Hopefully his immune system is up to the task of dealing with it after so much trauma from before and there is no reaction – the vets seemed confident enough to give it to him though. 

He was also the clinics first rabbit to have his teeth(well tooth) burred while fully conscious.The vets had their minds blown by how calm he was. 
      He’ll them do that, but he sees me with the brush and he high tails it to the nearest bolt hole. Brat.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I love that wallpaper in the first pic Hazel…

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I really need to learn to say no to people lol! On top of obligations to pets/family members, church, Dance, My cleaning jobs, My babysitting/nanny jobs, schoolwork, and trying (failing ) to have a social life, I tend to run around “like a chicken with it’s head cut off”, (I’m usually up at 6am and am so busy until 10pm).
      I have now agreed to join a chorus for a Christmas play next month (*gasp*, next month?) and am now choreographing a dance, and performing a dance for our church, that needs to be DONE before next month… I don’t know how I’m going to get all this done and stay sane lol!

• Bam

Congrats to Sampras
      Moxie, your life seems very busy right now, but it sounds like you are enjoying it? I hope you do

Participant

Whispers at Moxie: “It’s okay, we’re all mad here….”

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Now there ain’t much cuter than this video – to bam and anyone else who has a German Shepherd, this one’s for YOU xxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLRY-MIUmA

And if you want more GS gorgeousness…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-TxKSZpZXk

• Bam

Vienna, thank you, that was SO adorable! I’ve just watched the first film, I’m saving the other til tomorrow. It’s bedtime now for me and my GSD. And Bam.

• Hopper
      Participant
      158 posts Send Private Message

I have a corgi/austrillian shepard mix Still absolutely adorable!!

I shouldn’t be saying this but… The Christmas Spirit has embedded itself within me and cannot be withdrawn

• Azerane

I love German shepherds! Hubby and my dog requirement is a German shepherd and a border collie have to wait till I get home from work before I can watch the vids.

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

I love Border Collies. They’re so smart and just CUTE!!

• Azerane

Yes! A border collie has been mydream dog since I was about 12 years old

• LBJ10

Doggies!!! Kitties!!!

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

LBJ – what about, oh, bunnies?

• LBJ10

Wow, it sure it quiet around here. I guess things were pretty quiet at work today too. Not much is going on and there isn’t much for me to do. I’m just working on random things like brochures we can’t afford to print. *sigh*

My coworker asked me how I like working there today. I told him the true. I miss my old job every single day and it saddens me that I can’t be there. Then he asked me if I’d be willing to do water quality monitoring so we can save money. =\ I mean, I can. But we need the right equipment first.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

We have two GSD/husky mixes.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Hopper— SAME! I have been listening to Christmas music all day today and yesterday, and today I even broke out the Christmas sweaters. Like, I legit wore a blue snowflake sweater in public the entire day.
      My family and friends keep yelling at me to stop since it’s only the beginning of November, but I always have a hard time getting into the spirit (until like Dec. 26th, it’s so sad ), so if it wants to come now, why stop it?

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Impossible for me to break out ANY sweaters – we’ve been in the high 70s to low 80s (Fahrenheit) the past few days. It was colder in September…

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Today was warm at around 50 F, but in the mornings/evenings it drops below freezing. Yesterday was below freezing all day (I had to break out the winter jacket lol)

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Lowest we’ve gotten before 9 PM is probably around 40 degrees. Nothing less yet, but I’m excited. I love cold weather.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I love cold weather, but I don’t really enjoy being in it a long time if that makes sense lol. I’d need to be really bundled up, ha ha.

• LBJ10

They are forecasting that November will be above average temperature-wise. I don’t know about December. All I know is winter makes me really depressed.

• Azerane

Just watched the vids, so cute

• jerseygirl

I dont think the dog in the 1st video has a sense of how big he is. :p

Did anyone else see the video over halloween of Jolene the Golden Retriever?

• jerseygirl

Posted By Azerane on 11/02/2016 8:35 PM

Yes! A border collie has been mydream dog since I was about 12 years old

Don’t hate me but… my sister and her family are getting a border collie next month. I pick up her kids from school twice a week, so I’m gonna get to see this little bundle of fur often. Can’t wait! They had a 16yr old border collie/ kelpie cross. It’s been strange with him not there now that he’s over the bridge.

• Azerane

I am very jealous about that

Ugh, Apollo isn’t eating. I didn’t notice until now because I fed them their salad later than usual. They’ve been lounging upstairs for the last 2 hours 45 minutes which is really normal for this time of day. Then when I put the salad down, he came downstairs, didn’t show interest in eating it, then went back in the cage and laid down. I didn’t notice he wasn’t eating any until I realised Luna was 3/4 of the way through the salad by herself. So I stole variety of tasty bits and shoved it right in Apollo’s face. He still wouldn’t eat, so I offered him hay from the hay box (glorious fresh hay that he always climbs in the box for) nothing, then he ran away to the upstairs level. I offered a pellet, nothing, a piece of dried apple, still nothing. Trouble is, since it was their loungey time of day, and I was at work before then, I’ve no idea how long it’s been since he’s eaten let alone pooped. The vet’s still open for 2 hours so I’m going to try and make an appointment for just before they close and just try to get him to eat until then.

ETA: Luna has just singlehandedly finished the plate of salad, she’s just discovered the small pile of veggies I took aside for Apollo. She’s eating that too. Little piggy.

ETA again: We have a vet appointment in 45 minutes. I tried giving some simethicone, I’m honestly not sure if it went in his mouth or on his chin, lol. But he definitely hates me now

• jerseygirl

{{{Apollo}}} Hope he comes good!

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

(((Apollo)))

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

((((( Apollo ))))) come on big guy, have a chomp and do a poo !!!!

• Bam

(((((Apollo))))) Now you eat, matey!

Christmas spirit is here as well, I bought glühwein and ginger bread a couple of days ago. And I’ve brought out the big fluffy blankies. I bought a blankie with sleeves. I’m obsessed with blankies. Now it just needs to get really cold. They’re saying this winter we’ll get lots of snow. I don’t think they are right because weather forecasts are invariably wrong, but I’m hoping =) I love snow.

Border collies are adorable. I met the cutest border collie puppy at the dog park the other day (Ephi loves the dog park, so we go there quite a lot).

• Azerane

Thanks everyone. Not to my surprise, the vet couldn’t find anything wrong with him She said his cecum felt full, but because I don’t know how long he hasn’t been eating, it could have been because he’d eaten a lot today, or because he hadn’t gone to the toilet. She gave him a metomide injection just to try and get things moving. We’ve been home about half an hour and while he’s still not eating, he did head over to (but not in) the litter tray and did a pile of 5 or 6 poops. They looked pretty good. I feel like I may have been a bit early taking him in, but if I’d left it longer, they would be closed and then I’d have to rely on possibly dodgy 24 hour vets if he got worse.

She said if he’s not eating by 8:30 (another hour and 20 minutes) then I could start force feeding some critical care. It’s just strange, because apart from lying down a little more than normal, he’s still exploring the tunnel etc every now and then. He’s not lying like he’s in pain, he just refuses to eat =/ I really hope he starts eating, otherwise I’ll be sleeping on the couch to keep watch.

I love snow too! It’s been so long since I’ve seen it. I love making snowballs (and throwing them) and going skiing and just snow in general

• Azerane

Well, I don’t know what was wrong with him, but Apollo seems fine now. 40 minutes ago I tried getting him to eat again and he was refusing and running away, so I opened up the packet of critical care, measured out a dose, mixed it up and was just about to open a new syringe when he started eating hay. Cheeky little thing. He seems fine now, he’s had some more hay and I offered pellets yet again and he eagerly ate them. Kinda feels like I wasted money at the vet, but better than him getting worse. Silly bunny. At least I don’t have to stay up all night

• Bam

Yay, Apollo! What a relief!!! Good on ya, mate!!!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

It was prob the meds taking effect…. a stitch in time saves nine => a vets visit in time saves nine….

• Theodorusrex
      Participant
      335 posts Send Private Message

Yay, so happy Apollo’s eating again. I swear, sometime I think the bunnies do this only to scare us

Has anyone had a recent delivery/purchase of oxbow hay, or more specifically orchard grass hay? The last batch I ordered about a month ago wasn’t great, all chopped up into small bits. But this new bag, I mean Theo actually can’t get enough of it. I’ve refilled his (rather large) haybox and litter tray like 5 times in a day! So unusual for him who’s normally not the best with hay. I wonder if this is just a particularly tasty batch.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Good grief, bunbun! Glad he’s well now… I’m with you: better safe than sorry.

• Hazel
      Participant

Posted By LBJ10 on 11/01/2016 10:51 AM

Hazel – of course! But sadly, it has turned into a reality tv show where drama is created just to get ratings.
      I think the issues on our ballot will definitely get more people out the vote. The ballot is confusing though (talked to early voters). You’re voting to either repeal the repeal or retain the repeal.

Yeah, it’s pretty sad, and pathetic.

That does sound confusing. They just did a segment on our local news about one amendment on the ballot, they read it out loud and I thought “I should vote yes”, then they had some lawyer explain it and turns out a “yes” vote meant pretty much the opposite of what I thought it meant. Seems like they purposely write those things in a way that nobody can understand them. 

Vienna: No, we bought it at a pet store. It’s just an outdoor hutch with a run attached. We got it before we knew about the wonderful world of NIC grids. I wouldn’t really recommend it, it’s hard to clean in there because you have to take the whole run off to be able to vacuum, it’s also pretty chewed up at this point so it doesn’t look all that nice upon closer inspection.

Moxie: The wallpaper was already there when we bought the house, so I can’t be blamed for it. Although I guess I could have replaced it at some point… We just don’t care enough to bother. I kind of got used to it by now, believe it or not, it’s the prettiest wallpaper we have!

Did any of you watch the baseball game? The hubby and I got some beer and watched it. Baseball can get kind of boring, so we made a game out of it, we had a drink every time someone spit, which happens constantly. One guy spit four times in two seconds…

• Deleted User
      Participant
      17455 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Azerane on 11/02/2016 3:08 AM

Just had a horrible moment where dinner was almost ruined. I’m cooking chicken, I opened the oven to turn the chicken and discovered I’d somehow left that absorbent packet in with the chicken when I’d put it in the dish… Google to the rescue however, turns out it’s perfectly safe if the packet hasn’t melted or burst, and thankfully it hadn’t done either.

This is the exact reason I don’t cook haha!

I’m glad Apollo is ok now

• LBJ10

Not my little Finny! I’m so glad he’s feeling better. Maybe it was just gas.

Hazel – yes, I have a feeling there will be people who will think they are voting for X, when it’s really Y and vice versa.

• Azerane

Finny

I’m really not sure what it was, but I’m glad it went away and I didn’t have to stay up the whole night watching over him. He’s super active this morning and there’s definitely some of his poops in the litter tray this morning, small, miss-shapen, very hay coloured because he didn’t have any veggies yesterday. Since I’ve let them out this morning he’s eating every little scrap of hay/food he’s come across, lol. Now he’ll never get sick again…

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Re cage versus nic grids: but even those, how do you get in them to clean? I have 4ft high heavy duty xpen grids and once the teeth are in them to yank and push and pull again, i’m sure i cldnt make a sturdy enough ‘big door’ opening that my monster monkeys couldn’t get out of…

I’m away for 4 days next week. My poor friend will come round and bunnysit every day. I say “poor” because what a juggling act it is at the moment!!!! Henry in cage, out of cage, Zou on patio but when she has her ‘in’ time Henry back in cage. Be careful opening the separating patio doors because sneaky buns sneak….! And the mess !!!!! Hay and willow branches and poops and wees in kitchen, both camps marking the territory after the other one has been free…. Omg… I shall have to being her something nice back from the trade fair …. Unlikely….!! LOL

BUT ! When I return it will be 5 and a half weeks post neuter, I have a 3 day weekend (nov 11th) and so bonding shall commence !!

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Moxie managed to escape last night. She had tipped over her bag of food and was eating to her heart’s content. LOL T.T >.<

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I was at the hardware store buying chicken feed…They have a partnership with the animal shelter, where they keep a cat there for a week and switch the cats up every now and again. Anyways, dumb me decided to go and see the cat that was there (I always do). The cat was a male cat, but it looked EXACTLY like Spring (RIP), and the description on how he loved food was exactly like Spring was… And when I stuck my fingers in through the bars, he started licking my fingers exactly like Spring used to… It made me sad…I still really miss her, she was a great cat…

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I mean, they were scarily uncanny. I wanted to just cry. I wanted to bring him home so bad because he was just like her.

Here’s a pic of Spring 

vs “Mr. Buster”

• cinnybun2015
      Participant
      570 posts Send Private Message

Moxie, I’m sorry. I feel you. I had a cat named Scout. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2014. My friend has a cat, and when I first met him (after Scout passed away) he looked so much like Scout that it broke my heart.

Spring was very beautiful!!!

• jerseygirl

Oh Mox, yeah that would be hard. Maybe look at it as her saying Hello to you, in a round about way?
      I can’t do those store that have animals. Danger zone.
      I’ve always loved that pic of Spring behind the curtain. Pretty girl.

Podge, the bunny I was looking after a few weeks ago was laid to rest today. :'(
      Binky Free Sweetheart <3
      I’m sad I didn’t go visit him again. I only went the once after he’d gone home.

• LBJ10

Yes, Spring was beautiful. I like what Jersey said, maybe it was her way of saying hello.

I’m sorry Jersey, that’s so sad.

• Azerane

@Vienna, the front door on my NIC cage is 2ft 4 inches square, so big enough for me to comfortably be on my hands and knees to sweep it out. It’s fairly easy to reach into all the corners. I think the door would be sturdy enough, cable ties don’t just come free, and if you have metal dog leash clips on the door they can’t come undone either. I use 4 clips so the door is well supported at all the weaker points. Apollo and Luna don’t chew bars or pull on the door at all, but when Bandit would do it, although the door would give a little just in the shaking of it and how much it was free to move, it never went anywhere

@Moxie
      , Spring was such a beautiful cat I certainly understand the situation, Spring is quite similar to my bridge cat Furry. He was a mackeral tabby and white as well. I remember probably 8 years after he passed, coming across a rescue cat at an adoption day that looked just like him. I asked to hold the cat but it made me too sad when the other cat wasn’t anything like Furry. Not that I really expected it to be, I just thought it might be like holding Furry again one more time. Silly animals, pull on our heart strings for so long after they are gone.

Here’s my boy He had a cute little triangle of 3 black dots in the corners of his nose. His sister, Kitty had an all pink nose though He would have been about 9 in this photo, give or take a year. Boy I miss him still, it’s been 12 years but he took such a huge chunk of my heart.

@Jersey, I’m very sorry to hear about your friend’s bunny. That’s so sad

• Q8bunny
      Participant

That’s so sad, Jersey… poor little guy He just never got better?

• Bam

Jersey, so sorry about your little house-guest.

Bridge pets will always be in our hearts. When I see a GSD that looks like my bridge dog Nala, I want to steal it.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

So sorry about Podge Jersey. You must have got close when you were nursing him..

Az – Thanks – I’m still thinking about the set up…. lets get bonding first, eh !? *gulp*

Good news – Both buns are grooming both interchangeable Ikea buns, which have got so dirty now (I’ve dared not cleaning each others scent off)… lol.

Bad news – Zou has completely unlitter-trained herself indoors n° 1s & n°2s she obv doesn’t like sharing a litter tray…)

• Bam

Vienna, that is part of the pre-bonding-process, one or both buns go unlitter-trained. They don’t of course, it’s just the intense, instinctive need to mark territory when there’s a new bunny in town. Your friend will thoroughly enjoy bun-sitting those two

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Lol…. not sure “enjoy” is the right word…. but she might give me a medal afterwards….. LOLOL

• AndHenry
      Participant

Sorry Hazel…. I can’t PM. 

LOL! You made me laugh BIG time ‘again’, ha ha ha ha – thank you!!!

Maybe you can ask bam for my email – I don’t know what else to do???

But be assured that I love Lily and Oscar…. BUT I’m not sure about that that intruder??? LOL! 

Bubble’s??? I’m missing Buble’s picture’s. 

PS! I made my hubby get out of bed to see your photo’s – seriously, thank YOU! xo

• Reesebun
      Participant
      1033 posts Send Private Message

Who here thinks I should start teaching Reese rabbit show jumping?

• Hopper
      Participant

Spring is a pretty cat and name ;( It’s all so bittersweet.

I wish Hopper would be interested in jumping! He just doesn’t want treats that bad… He is a very chill rabbit. I cannot believe he is already 4 years old ;(

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Oo Reese – I definitely think you should if you think she’d do well. I’m clicker training Winter right now, and I’m going to do jumps with her soon. Just got to get down some “spin” and “up” finger motions rather than the target stick.

• Dface
      Participant

I was the victim of much eye rolling today at the hands of my extended family.
      There was a bereavement in the family, and I chose to come back up to spend time with my own family..which meant the two rabbits also had to make the trip (Eye roll number one…”Why didnt you just leave them, they would have been fine on their own…”)

When the novelty of the idea of someone lugging around a pair of rabbits wore thin the next part, of the “Does he seriously have a nebuliser” began. I tried to exlain that it just helps him to be more comfortable and is easier to administer medicine when he needs it, to which I got “Would you not just get another.”
      I always get really grumpy when people act like Im an idiot and show zero interest in seeing it from a viewpoint that isn’t their own. I sat in a room for a half an hour and was mocked, there was no mention of the fact that I was pursuing a difficult degree in college.

Having said that my mother and grandmother were delighted to have the buns home. My grandmother, who is 87, and arthritic, climbed the stairs just to say hello to them (ignoring me almost entirely!) And my mother is delighted to have rabbits hopping around the house again (‘Things just havent been the same with them gone’)
      If I’m not careful she’s not going to let me take them back with me!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Dface. Don’t worry about the others. Your mum and grandmother are the important ones. They sound delightful. (The others don’t, too much…)

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Agreed, Vienna.

• LBJ10

I get eye rolls and weird looks all the time. I don’t care though. :p

• Azerane

So many more reports of myxomatosis around here lately, it’s making me paranoid so I’ve taken extra measures to ensure bunny safety. I bought a non-toxic indoor trap (a plug in light with sticky paper that attracts moths, mozzies and flies). I also bought an outdoor attractant trap to try and keep the flies away from the doors in the first place, in addition to buying one of those magnetic fly screen door curtains for the sliding door that joins onto the bunny pen.

In good news, I went to a different farmer’s market this morning as I was passing by, and I happened to find a big bunch of chicory. I was actually looking for endive at all the different stalls, I just happened to find chicory right next to the endive so bought that instead

I also need to get the bunnies a new bale of hay today, the hay box still has a lot of hay in it, but all the flakes are broken down and it’s really only the loose bitsy leftover bits remaining, which can be quite dusty. So I’m going to sort through that and get a new bale.

And that’s my exciting life

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Lucky. I have yet to give mine chicory, but I am debating planting my own garden. We already grow basil, I’m just not sure if I’m ready to commit lol.

But the neighbor does feed the deer every day at 6 o clock sharp, so it will probably get eaten…

• Hopper
      Participant

@Dface
      All bunny slaves get eyerolls for obeing our masters But yea, it really is annoying when people don’t bother to try to see it from your view.

I am going to try to grow veggies for Hopps next year instead of buying them. I hope I just have time to weed…

• Azerane

My bunny veggies are growing better this year than any other I have tried. The herbs have really taken off, plus the lettuce is doing surprisingly well. Usually it’s just bolted straight to seed because it’s been too warm or I’ve planted them too late. I keep the veggie bed free of weeds, but I’ve somewhat encouraged the rest of the weeds because they’re great bunny food. I only bought one thing for the bunnies this week because the rest of their daily greens will come from the garden

Ended up with a bale of wheaten hay this time, will find out soon enough if that was a mistake instead of oaten. Just the oaten bales they had were very gold on the outside, and I know my picky bunnies.

• jerseygirl

@Azerane, Same feeling with Myxo/calici reports. I have to pace myself with how much I read. There was a report about house rabbits that succumbed. :'(

Imagine having to put ALL of your furbabies to sleep because they contracted a preventable disease.

Thanks for your words everyone, about Podge. Q8, yes he wasn’t recovering. It was quality of life decision.
      I definitely did have a soft spot for little Podge because I also had him with me another time (3 years ago) when he had head tilt. He was already being treated that time but his owner had to go away for work. Ive done a few visits to her place this year to feed/check the rabbits while she’s been away and he’d been looking so well. This relapse had him drop a lot of weight quickly.

• LongEaredLions
      Participant
      4482 posts Send Private Message

For some reason I can’t see anyone’s siggies…..weird.
      JG-Sorry to hear about Podge.

• Azerane

I don’t recall having seen that report about the house rabbits that contracted it I’d been living in denial about that until now. You’re right that it’s easy to read too much about it, which just fans my paranoia. It would be so heartbreaking to lose the bunnies.

Poor little Podge, at least he had a good life and was very well looked after

• LBJ10

There was something weird going on earlier today. The siggies and the forum leader icons were broken images.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Probably Chewie trying to hack the forum and remove that picture of his tie (Must. Destroy. All. Evidence. Of formal attire.)

• Azerane

Just installed the fly screen curtain on the bunny door I’m very pleased. Much less chance of flies and mozzies sneaking past when I’m going in and out, and if I remove it from the velcro I can still get Dory’s cage in and out the door. It doesn’t quite snap automatically together all the way down, I may have made it a little tight, but it still works.

Apollo’s doing binkies because he approves.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Apollo knows what’s good for bunnies

• jerseygirl

Posted By LongEaredLions on 11/04/2016 11:31 PM
      For some reason I can’t see anyone’s siggies…..weird.
      JG-Sorry to hear about Podge.

Thanks LEL.

The image problem is due to Photobucket. It’s been down for maintenance. I think it must be restored now as I can see your siggy.

• Bam

Andi, if you see this: For reasons unknown all my PMs from you after June this year are gone from my Binky inbox, I only have a couple of my own answers left. So the PM where you sent me your “real-life” e-mail address is gone. I’ve told BB about this. It’s very weird. And annoying.

Here’s a link to the Australian myxo-vaccine petition, just got it in my e-mail: 

myxo petition Australia

In case you want to sign it and/or share it on FB. 

• jerseygirl

Andi, if you see this: For reasons unknown all my PMs from you after June this year are gone from my Binky inbox, I only have a couple of my own answers left. So the PM where you sent me your “real-life” e-mail address is gone. I’ve told BB about this. It’s very weird. And annoying.

It happened with mine also but appears to be restored now.
      Andi are you able to read the notification messages you get in your regular email?

• jerseygirl

I came across this interesting mozzie repellant recipe on one on the rabbit pages in the comments. 

Participant

Oh shoot, I accidentally gave Breintje grapes WITH seeds in them. We’re so used to seedless here that I didn’t notice it at first. He ate two of them fully. Is this harmful? Please don’t tell me we’re about to have our third vet visit this month…

• jerseygirl

I don’t recall ever seeing “seedless grapes only” on any of the safe food lists, Ellie. I think it’s not a concern. Raisins have seeds too right? And bunnies eat those without issue as far as I know.

• Bam

Grape seeds are supposed to be very healthy. They don’t have cyanide like apple and pear seeds or the kernels of those from the prunus-family.

• VivaLaBunz
      Participant
      130 posts Send Private Message

I woke up at 4:00am and couldnt fall back asleep, but at least this happened this morning which really cheered me up:

Pippins found a new toy and someone’s jealous, haha!

• Q8bunny
      Participant

What I want to know is why that mozzie dude sits around in his yard in skivvies at night all the time.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

….. And how one earth did anyone concoct those 3 ingredients together….!!??

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Jersey– I’ve seen that around. I really do not think that I would be able to stand the smell of those ingredients though ha ha.

VivaLaBunz—

• VivaLaBunz
      Participant

I feel like those three ingredients together is enough to repel ANY living creature 

• jerseygirl

Viva, adorable video!

Q8, “skivvies” mean polo neck tops to me. I’ve read it to mean underwear in books though.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

I think it’s a military term. Definitely undies

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Anyone use ‘travel packing cubes’…..? They have HIGH reviews on Amazon and christmas is coming up (to give and to receive ! )

• BubblesJo
      Participant
      458 posts Send Private Message

Well guys, I’ve done two days of Hal-Con and I’m loving it! I’ve worked tickets, backstage, running mikes in Q&A sessions and running auto/photo lines. I had the unexpected pleasure of helping with Jeremy Bullocks Q&A (Boba Fet from Star Wars) and he was adorable, and Natalia Tena (Tonks from Harry Potter) complimented me on my top! And to top it off, I sat on the Impala from Supernatural   Man it’s been a great weekend! 

Tomorrow is the last day and I’ll be sad to say goodbye for another year. My wallet will thanks me though

• VivaLaBunz
      Participant

Dang, sounds fun!

I was just at TwitchCon, it first convention I’ve ever been to and I had a blast. The fact that it was in San Diego helped =)

• Erin
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I’m hoping someone who knows bunnies well can help. My daughter and I recently got a mini lop bunny and he is a bit stubborn. He is in her room and we have her room covered in card board. So he can not get under the bed and dresser he will jump on bed to jump behind dresser and then refuses to come out what can we do I almost don’t want to let him out of the cage anymore ? Please help ty ?

• Monkeybun
      Participant
      10479 posts Send Private Message

Hello everybunny! Long time, no see

Poking my nose in to say that I’m bringing my Monkey girl home this week from my ex’s house. She’s going downhill, hasn’t been herself since her Smudgie passed. She’s getting old for such a little bun. Almost 8! So she’s coming home with me. She’s my baby girl, and I’m going to be there with her for her final days, however long that may be.

• jerseygirl

You sound pumped by the whole experience BubblesJo. Was that the first time you’ve worked at it?

• jerseygirl

Posted By Monkeybun on 11/05/2016 7:58 PM
      Hello everybunny! Long time, no see

Poking my nose in to say that I’m bringing my Monkey girl home this week from my ex’s house. She’s going downhill, hasn’t been herself since her Smudgie passed. She’s getting old for such a little bun. Almost 8! So she’s coming home with me. She’s my baby girl, and I’m going to be there with her for her final days, however long that may be.

Hey Monkeybun!
      I always love when I see you post on BB. I was thinking of you literally 2 days ago.
      What’s happening with little Monkey?

• jerseygirl

Posted By Erin on 11/05/2016 7:27 PM
      I’m hoping someone who knows bunnies well can help. My daughter and I recently got a mini lop bunny and he is a bit stubborn. He is in her room and we have her room covered in card board. So he can not get under the bed and dresser he will jump on bed to jump behind dresser and then refuses to come out what can we do I almost don’t want to let him out of the cage anymore ? Please help ty ?

Hi Erin
      Welcome to the forums. I’ve started a new thread with your question in the Behaviour section for you. Here is the link to it: https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/150530/Default.aspx

• Monkeybun
      Participant

Monkey is showing hte same symptoms Smudge did. Loss of balance, weight loss, weakness… she likely doesn’t have long.

• jerseygirl

Im so sorry.  Its hard to see them like this. Mega {{{VIBES}}} for Monkey. <3

Was is determined if Smudge was positive for EC?  I can’t recall. Even so, treatment for that can take a toll, especially on older rabbits. 

• Monkeybun
      Participant

Yeah, thats what gave her the head tilt all that time ago.So chances are she passed it onto little Monkey. Monkey hasn’t had any head tilt issues, but with the same things happening now that Smudge had at the end… well.

• jerseygirl

I want to say give her hugs from me but I don’t think she’ll accept them, spunky little girl. So, give her extra raisins and a kiss on the nose from me.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Sorry to hear about Monkey being poorly, MB. Sending loads of ((((((comforting)))))) vibes and gentle nose rubs from me and Chewie.

• LBJ10

Hi MonkeyBun! It’s nice to see you here, although I wish there were happier news to report. I’m sorry Monkey isn’t doing well.

• Bam

Monkeybun, I’m so sorry. Sending her so many vibes ((((((Monkey)))))) And vibes for you too.

• Azerane

Hi Monkeybun, I’m very sorry to hear that Monkey isn’t well. Wishing her all the very best.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

((( Monkey )))

For anyone interested, the “travel cubes” I was talking about are here….

travel-Accessories 

Everybody, absolutely everybody seems converted…. You just have to pick the right sizes for you and be sure of quality (material, zips)…
      I have smaller ones (biggest is A5 size) and it is true – soooo easy to find stuff in a messy bag.

• Bam

They ought to be ideal in a boat. If you don’t know exactly where everything is in a boat, at any given moment, it’s lost forever. Boats eat things just like washing machine eats one sock out of every pair you have. Only a boat eat the whole pair and has a book and a sweater for dessert. I packed everything in mesh laundry bags, but these look much more practical.

I just heard the lovely sound of a rabbit under my bed. It wasn’t a ghost, it was Bam, exploring.

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

This is a new temporary avatar until Tuesday. It doesn’t look good as 100 x 100. But Tuesday I’m going to try and get a picture of Winter and Licorice eating together. (Maybe even Monday.)

• Bam

BunnyFriends, it’s a lovely avatar =)

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

@bam…. LOL
      I’ve checked prices in australia and it will be cheaper to get sent to uk and send to oz !!!

Think i might get myself a set whilst im at it !!!!

Participant

Yup, Winter is absolutely gorgeous

As we speak I’m being looked at…intently. Breintje is sitting between my feet, staring up, little nose sniffing the air. I’m having breakfast and appearantly this toast with strawberry jam smells amazing.

The fuzzy little beggar…

• MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Monkeybun on 11/05/2016 9:29 PM

Yeah, thats what gave her the head tilt all that time ago.So chances are she passed it onto little Monkey. Monkey hasn’t had any head tilt issues, but with the same things happening now that Smudge had at the end… well.

Oh MB, I’m so sorry to hear that Monkey is ill. Such a dear little bun, she is much loved and we still speak of her often in my family.

Sending her all the best, please give her a raisin from me too, if that’s okay.

The kids and I are in Oregon now, down on the southwest coast. If you like I’ll PM you an address. If there’s anything I can do or that you need, give me a shout. (((((Hugs)))))

• MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

Posted By jerseygirl on 11/03/2016 9:26 PM

Oh Mox, yeah that would be hard. Maybe look at it as her saying Hello to you, in a round about way?

Podge, the bunny I was looking after a few weeks ago was laid to rest today. :'(
      Binky Free Sweetheart <3

Jerz, I wanted to say I am sorry to hear about Podge. I do believe I recall you speaking about him before, not sure if it was in this context. You know my memory is shot, but I wanted to be certain I sent condolences. ((((Hugs)))))

• BubblesJo
      Participant

All the (((vibes))) for Monkey.

Ellie, Chester did the same thing when I had panetonne the other day. The he jumped on the couch and tried to eat it. Cheeky bun!

Jersey, it’s my fourth year working the con, but it’s the first time I spent most of it in a public place. Most years I take care of the green rooms and don’t get to see much. This year I did stage and lineups, so I got to see all the cosplayers and all the guests I got all the geeky stuff I wanted too, and then some more!

• Dface
      Participant

My dad has a phobia of rabbits,they genuinley make him uncomfortable, as when he was a child he had a rabbit that lived in the garden and would attack him.
      A large REW rabbit to be specific.
      He tries to be okay with mine, and is to an extent, but he panics a bit when they decide to jump up on him.
      Normally I spend my time at home keeping the rabbits away from him, but seeing as I spend a lot of time in my kitchen, and I dont want the rabbits to worry that Im not around(the treat bringer is gone-what will become of us), I leave the doors open so they can pop in for a visit.

Dad went to sleep upstairs, and I was getting food ready for my hedgehogs, and getting everything read for bed for myself and my dog would not quit whining. And then I realized she was listening to the distinct sound of bunny hops up above us.
      Sampras was upstairs, in my dads room, sitting at the foot of his bed with his little red eyes glinting from the lights of the traffic outside. Just sitting there staring at him creepily.

I couldnt go into the room to get Sampras, as I was afraid of waking my da, and I knew I couldnt leave Sampras like that, as he would inevitably go investigate my dad up close.

Eventually(20 minutes later, felt like an eternity) after much whispered “No’s” and “C’mere”‘s and gentle rustle of treat bags, I got him back down without event.
      Phew! Crisis averted!

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

We are already a week into November! What is happening?!

• Q8bunny
      Participant

I truly LOLed. You guys crack me up. Ok, not you, I guess, but rather your rabbits.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

My older sister is scared of my rabbit…She won’t hold her and doesn’t really like to touch her. And, a lot of people who come over are genuinely scared about her size, they think she’s huge and they always ask if she’ll bite them.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Moxie. Send her over to me for a few days, then she’ll get used to big buns and when she returns to you she’ll say ‘oh she’s a normal sized bun’!!!!! LOL

Participant

Wow, it really surprises me that people are afraid of rabbits. Generally they’re the sweetest and kindest animals you’d ever meet. They are quickly offended though, if you’re hyperactive and don’t respect their boundaries. Maybe that’s why Breintje nipped at one of my friends. He wasn’t respecting his privacy.

Btw, does anyone have a good home remedy for the cold? My head is so stuffed it feels like a christmas turkey.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

One of my rabbots ‘attacked’ us when we were kids. Of course now maybe things would have been different but quite a lot of buns do lunge when they’re kept in cages amd so thats where the people get ‘afraid’ of buns…. Luckily our other one was lovely and we grew up total animal lovers….!!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

I hope all you voters out there are getting ready to go vote….

The world’s future is in your hands and i cant believe they are talking about a 20% turn out.
      TWENTY PERCENT!!!
      That means if someone wins 51/49, only one in 10 Americans voted for the winner…. It’s outrageous !!! (And very frightening depending on which way it goes….)

Now I’m not political in any way, but this one is slightly out of the norm…..
      We’re counting on you guys….

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

The walk home from babysitting is definitely a lot longer now that it’s dark out…Stupid daylights saving!

• LBJ10

We had record numbers of people registering to vote in my city/county. I dont know how many will show up, but they are expecting record turnouts.

• jerseygirl

20%.
      Compulsory to vote in Australia. You register once you turn 18.

• jerseygirl

Posted By MimzMum on 11/07/2016 2:26 AM

Posted By jerseygirl on 11/03/2016 9:26 PM

Binky Free Sweetheart <3

Jerz, I wanted to say I am sorry to hear about Podge. I do believe I recall you speaking about him before, not sure if it was in this context. You know my memory is shot, but I wanted to be certain I sent condolences. ((((Hugs)))))

Thanks MM.  No, your memory is excellent!  I did look after him over 3 years ago when he had head tilt and his owner was on a work trip. 

Loving the new avatar pic of Jenna. Is it a painting?

• jerseygirl

I feel so bad. And stupid. You know those photos I’ve shared before of Goosey sitting in place with his butt hanging off the edge? I just had realisation that he may have been doing it to relieve pressure on his hocks. The 1st pic I snapped of him doing that was about 2 years ago. So if he was having an issue then, I feel rotten. I see him sitting mostly in the litterbox these days and have to wonder if it’s because it’s the softest place he can find to sit. I also noticed he rocked side to side a bit recently just after he stopped hopping. Like you would if not placing even pressure on your foot. He has some little scabs on each hock that I’ve put sudocrem on.

Some recent threads have me thinking perhaps I should try padding his feet a bit.
      I’ll pick up some memory foam mats too. If he takes to sitting on those, I’ll know he’s looking for the softness. I just hope they won’t chew or pee on them. Ive tried these mats with them before just as a comfy place to nap and had to remove them.
      Poor dude. He seems to have endless things going on.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Aww… little guy… but hey, at least his mommy’s willing to do anything to help as soon as she’s sleuthed out a potential problem

Re: the vote… if I were an American I’d be at a real loss. What’s the point of exercising your right to vote if your only real choices are a neo-Natzi and an undercover mob boss? I mean, I suppose you could always write in Sean Penn or someone, but that would be mostly a symbolic gesture of protest.

Tens of millions of Americans, and the only two deemed “fit” for the oval office are Clinton and Trump? It’s a sad day, dudes… a very sad day.

• LBJ10

I think the reason there are so many new registered voters is because of the local issues on my ballot. Well, not the only reason. I mean, there was a record number of voters in 2008 too.

• Azerane

Going to ignore the political talk because something exciting just happened!

I was minding my own business, watching a video on my laptop, Dory was chatting away making silly noises in her cage. Then all of a sudden, she made a noise which sounded just like she was trying to say “hello”. It wasn’t words, more a sing-song kind of sound, but it was the exact sounds and pitch etc that we sometimes say hello to her in. She did it a couple of times. Maybe I’m crazy and just hearing what I want to hear, but I swear she was practising talking You might say it was a-dory-ble.

• Bam

It’s not compulsory to vote in Sweden, but you do get registered automatically when you turn 18, so you can vote if you want to if you have a valid ID. You don’t need an ID if you vote in your home-area where your name is on the list of voters. I vote. I think you should vote, although as Q8 says, the options are sometimes make you feel like you’re choosing between ebola and small-pox.

Azerane, that does sound perfectly a-dory-ble Do eclectus parrots have a natural tendency to “talk”? I could google but more interesting to ask a real eclectus-owner

• Azerane

Not all of them will talk, but I think in terms of parrots, they’re in the top 10 in terms of abilities for talking, maybe even the top 5. So they can be very adept. I think they tend to be very clear talkers, as opposed to cockatoos which are scratchy talkers. I suppose time will tell whether she is actually learning to talk or not. Without knowing her age it’s difficult to know whether we’ve missed that point in her learning. Although I suspect she probably is quite young still because not terribly many people have older birds.

• Bam

Is there like a window for learning to talk? I suppose there is. With singing birds I think I’ve read the window when they can learn “new” songs is very narrow. We used to have a Parus Major in our garden who sang like a mobile-phone signal.
      If she learns to talk you juat have to record it for us

• Azerane

I’m not really sure with Eclectus. I know that with African Greys that they can progressively learn as they age, but some other parrots have a small window of learning (about a year or two). Because learning to talk is all about learning how to communicate with other members of the flock, they only technically need to be able to learn to mimic for a short time. I think if she was a true aviary bird which was afraid of us, I don’t think she would learn to talk, but because she is somewhat humanised I think she may be ok. I’m really hoping she does learn, it would be really cute

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Az. Exceedingly cute while it was a novelty…. but if she gets all excited about it you may not get her to stop…. LOLOL….

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Don’t say anything potentially awkward around her from now on, Az.
      So cool! lol

• AndHenry
      Participant

Congrats to my baby bunny girl Moxie for her 5000 post – I am super proud! I will share a wedding photo of me and your older sister with you as soon as I work out how to add photo’s to this new lap top…. DOH! Ha ha ha!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

I’m at a beer trade fair for 3 days and I don’t drink beer. Shame….. lol

It’s snowing here in Germany…. bbbrrrrrr

• Azerane

@Vienna, better her talking non-stop than screaming

• LBJ10

Andi – can you connect your phone to you computer via USB? That’s what I have to do sometimes.

I was late to work this morning. I got there right when the polls opened and had to stand in line for 20 minutes just to get my ballot. Not long after that, there were reports of people standing in line at various places for 45 minutes to an hour. I haven’t seen anyone have to wait that long in a long time.

Not that I have much to do. I’m literally sitting here cleaning out my email inbox.

• Dface
      Participant

Can’t tell if it’s bunny pee, if the roof is leaking again..or someone simply put something wet on my bed today.

*sigh*
      there goes my peaceful nights sleep i was so looking forward to

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

I declared today nail trimming night. We got two nails done successfully with Licorice while he was eating. He’s very skittish and HATES being handled, so I do it while he’s eating. I held his paw and did it and there was no struggle at all.

Winter, on the other hand, objected… I had her picked up and ready but she decided she wasn’t having it. So while no nails were trimmed, I brought her to the floor and we had twenty minutes of me petting her on my lap which she enjoyed. Maybe tomorrow.

• jerseygirl

Dface, it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s bunny pee isn’t it? 

BunnyFriends – good luck for tomorrows attempt. Hope you don’t get scratched up too badly.

I thought I’d inroduce you guys to my latest house guest. Well actually, he will likely be a part time resident for the long term.

This is Hunter!  He’s a 12 year old Tenterfield Terrier, who’s a bit chunky. :p

(Pic was from nearly 2 years ago after he had growth removed from his leg)

He is my sister and her SO’s dog. It’s sadly a case of a common situation….They had a baby (who is now almost 2) and she is taking up all their time. Ive been going to their place to walk him when I can but now he’ll be living with me part of the week and back to their place for weekends. We’ve talked of doing this for several months but Ive had a lot of rabbit guests this year. Now that has calmed down, I was able to focus on setting things up for him. It’s been his first week here. I will need to put in a doggy door at some point. 

Anyway, he needs exercise and attention and I need exercise, so it’s good that we can benefit each other that way. 

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Thank you so much Andi!! <3 We have a new computer too, and I can’t figure out how to post photos for the life of me!

• Azerane

Hello Hunter! I was just thinking the other day about when your doggy guest might be coming along I hope he settles in well and isn’t too problematic for the bunnies.

I keep having dreams that I find abandoned puppies. One day, one day

Stressful month this month. Of course it’s always the worst timing with unexpected expenses, bills, and having to take Apollo to the vet last week. At least I didn’t buy that $17 Halloween pumpkin, lol I need to win the lottery. 

ETA: No personal offence to anyone on here who may have voted Trump, but watching the election results progress I’m finding it very hard to believe. It astounds me that Trump is leading, and I’m very worried about where it may lead. Stock market is already falling simply because Trump is in the lead, what happens if he wins? 

• Bam

Stock markets will recover, everybody wants to make money. That is my prediction.
      I’ve had to reassure Bam repeatedly that he’ll still be the President of this household whoever wins the election.

We have snow this morning! Sadly it will melt away before noon, but it’s pretty right now =)

JG, that’s exciting! At first I read “Terrified Terrier” instead of Tenterfield Terrier and it puzzled me because I didn’t think he looked so terrified I hope he’ll get along well with the buns. I’m certain you will see to that.

• Azerane

This is very true. I think there’s just a lot of uncertainty around it.

Haha, I’m not sure who’s President around here, probably Dory, or maybe Luna. Luna is definitely the President of treats

Snow! I love snow Also really looking forward to summer though.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

If there is one thing that Trump is good at it is making money, so maybe the US debt will go down and businesses will get better (more jobs bla bla) and as bam says the stock exc will recover.

His social skills, support for minorites, military experience and relationship with Putin are however worrying, but the deed is (almost) done and the world will have to sit back and watch the show…..

Hoping he doesnt carry out eveything he promised in his campaign (as every other president !!! LOL)

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Jersey. Hunter is very regal in that photo. King of the world !!!

• jerseygirl

When I walked Hunter today with my nephew, I found a dead koala.

• Azerane

Aww, that’s sad

• jerseygirl

Yeah, I keep thinking about it… I rang council but it was already after hours so no joy there. Tried contact fauna group but no reply. I didn’t think to check for a pouch either. Im thinking that would be fairly obvious?

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Ugh… gods help us all now…

PS One of my students pipes up this afternoon: “Don’t worry, Miss, there’s still hope. The cook might put poison in Trump’s cup when he goes for his pre-swearing-in tea on January 20th.” ROTFL

• Bam

Jersey, poor koala. I have no idea how to check for a marsupial’s pouch. They ought to teach you guys that in school. Wouldn’t a baby in a pouch have had to be rather fully developped to survive when mum had been killed? And if it were big, you’d have noticed the pouch? I don’t know how it works, but oh my goodness, you could perhaps have become a foster-mommy to a baby koala!

Bam has started to pee in the sofa again, like before he was neutered, and it’s my fault because I’ve let him jump up and lie next to me and be pet every evening for a couple of weeks now. A couple of days ago he must’ve decided that the world must know that the sofa is his property. I’ve blocked him from accessing it now. With a heavy heart – we had the nicest, longest cuddle-sessions, and now that epoch of our lives is over.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Aww Jersey, that’s too bad about the Koala…

• Azerane

If the baby is still quite small, the pouch isn’t always very obvious because the opening is quite contracted. With babies so young, such as pinkies, they’re always attached to the teat so you are actually supposed to cut off the teat to remove them because pulling them off can damage their mouths so badly that they can’t feed. They can survive from so young with the proper care, all they need is the correct regular formula and a warm fake pouch. Granted it’s a miracle they survive at all being born so early, it really is quite a crazy technique for raising young.

Hubby is quite upset about the result. Frustrated and worried about what comes next.

ETA: Last night and this morning Apollo keeps chasing Luna and trying to pull out her fur. He chases her around the side of the tunnel, she jumps over the tunnel. He runs around the tunnel to get to her, she jumps over the tunnel. He runs around again, she jumps over. At least they’re getting some exercise.  Partly I think he’s just happy and running around, because he’s also doing binkies, but when Luna runs he seems compelled to chase and try and pull fur.

• Bam

Azerane, that’s so cool, about marsupial babies. Fascinating. I saw a TV-show about a type of wallaby threatened by extinction, they took the pinky from the dead mommy and transplanted it into the pouch of another expecting wallaby of a more common sub-species. But that meant they had to sacrifice the new foster-mom’s own baby, and that was sad. They did it to protect the near-extinct one of course, but still.

Several of our newspapers had articles today on “How to talk to your children about Trump”.

• Azerane

Probably yellow-footed and black-footed rock wallaby, a very innovative project I think despite the sacrifices. It was a really successful project too.

• Hazel
      Participant

Posted By Azerane on 11/09/2016 12:57 PM

Hubby is quite upset about the result. Frustrated and worried about what comes next.

Mine is, too. I made his favorite dinner tonight, I think it helped a little bit… Certainly didn’t see this coming, I thought she would win for sure. It’s not all bad though, eight out of nine states passed their legalization measures. With four years of Trump ahead, people will need something to take the edge off.

Andi, you got a new laptop? Does that mean you’ll be on BB more often? 

jersey: I’m sorry about the koala.

bam: Maybe you can try again after a while, if he spends some time without sofa privileges, he might stop being so possessive of it. Occasional bunny cuddles are better than none! I get none, by the way…

• jerseygirl

Posted By bam on 11/09/2016 10:01 AM

Jersey, poor koala. I have no idea how to check for a marsupial’s pouch. They ought to teach you guys that in school. Wouldn’t a baby in a pouch have had to be rather fully developped to survive when mum had been killed? And if it were big, you’d have noticed the pouch? I don’t know how it works, but oh my goodness, you could perhaps have become a foster-mommy to a baby koala!

Bam has started to pee in the sofa again, like before he was neutered, and it’s my fault because I’ve let him jump up and lie next to me and be pet every evening for a couple of weeks now. A couple of days ago he must’ve decided that the world must know that the sofa is his property. I’ve blocked him from accessing it now. With a heavy heart – we had the nicest, longest cuddle-sessions, and now that epoch of our lives is over.

I would need a permit to foster a koala.  

Bummer about Bam starting up the peeing.  Puppy pads on the sofa?

• BrunosMama
      Participant
      1472 posts Send Private Message

I know politics are supposed to be off the table on the forum, but since so many anti Trumpsters are voicing their opinions about the results, I for one would like to say I am happy with the results. So neener neener.

• jerseygirl

Yes, we do need to take care not to get into politics too much. It can be a mine field!

To quote BunnyFriends again “Politics….I just don’t get it. Too much arguing, not enough rabbits”.
      It’s still making me smile!

• LBJ10

Yes, we need to keep things light and upbeat. Broad discussions about politics is probably OK, but we run the risk of treading on thin ice. Serious political talk/debate is generally not allowed. So remember to keep the conversation light or we might have to have a “do over” (i.e. delete comments that are inappropriate forum discussion).

F. Debates & Controversial Subjects: Let’s keep this board light! Light discussions and differing opinions about rabbit welfare is fine, but please refrain from getting into serious discussions and/ or debates about God, Government, Animal Rights rights in general (eg. like anti-vivisection aka: for science/medicine, rabbits as food, and about controversial highly charged subjects and groups) or any serious ethical debate or discussion.

I do like that quote Jersey!

I will say that the results of my local ballot issues were surprising. Well, I guess not super surprising, since I should know what to expect from people by now. I can’t help but wonder though… do they really feel that way or were they confused by the weird wording on the ballot? We will likely never know. 

• LBJ10

I love marsupials, they are so fascinating to me. I want nothing more than to squeeze the wallabies at the zoo. LOL They actually did have to hand-rear a joey there a few years back. Mama had an abscess and they felt they couldn’t treat it effectively without harming baby.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

bam: do you have a lovely comfy rug you can stretch out on and cuddle? Sometimes Chewie can’t be bothered to hop up to wherever I am, but clearly wants lovin’, so I stretch out on one of our wooly rugs and he comes to me and we just cuddle and rub noses for ages – and since he’s always bouncing around on the rugs, there’s no temptation to mark them

• Azerane

@BrunosMama, it’s great that you’re happy about the result To be honest, I, nor anyone else really knows what sort of a President he will make. Who knows, maybe he’ll be amazing and Hillary would have made a terrible President, I know she seems very corrupt! I’m just a person on the opposite side of the world, bringing in a very outsider judgement  

Also I’m very glad that you could poke fun and say “neener, neener” at us. When I was at work today I suddenly realised I may have offended someone on the forum, since there was bound to be supporters for both parties on here. But like I said before, it’s not a personal judgement if I wouldn’t have voted the same way as people on here, voting for A vs B doesn’t make anyone a bad person

@jersey, I like that quote

At the farmers market I go to every week, there’s always a stand there for a local wildlife rescue group and they always have orphan kangaroo joeys in bag pouches with them, so cute

• Azerane

Just saved a fledgling honeyeater from an almost certain death I was driving home and saw it just sitting on the road. I tried to usher it off the road (didn’t work) before scooping it up and putting it in the bushes in someone’s garden with the parent birds watching. Here’s hoping it stays there and doesn’t come back to the road. It has fledged quite early perhaps still slim chances of survival with cats certainly about, but it would be wrong to take it away with it’s parents around and feeding it etc.

• jerseygirl

Re politics, we bb-ers are a good bunch. I personally feel the talk here has been fine. So BM, I hope you don’t feel I was shutting you down with my post after yours. I simply wanted to address the point you brought up about the forum.

The election there has certainly been a major topic of interest lately do it’s only natural it would come up in conversation here.
      LBJ privately made a good point to me also- we do have a multi national community here and members from other countries are curious about how things are in the US.

• jerseygirl

Posted By Azerane on 11/10/2016 12:04 AM
      Just saved a fledgling honeyeater from an almost certain death I was driving home and saw it just sitting on the road. I tried to usher it off the road (didn’t work) before scooping it up and putting it in the bushes in someone’s garden with the parent birds watching. Here’s hoping it stays there and doesn’t come back to the road. It has fledged quite early perhaps still slim chances of survival with cats certainly about, but it would be wrong to take it away with it’s parents around and feeding it etc.

Good for you. I bet you wish you had your camera. Though I suppose easy enough to capture pics of those, especially this time of year.

The koala is still where it was yesterday. I let the local council know but obviously they haven’t done anything about it. Probably will take them a week.

• Bam

LBJ, did you vote about the death penalty locally? At the same time as the presidential election? Confusing!

Jersey, since you have compulsory voting, what happens if people don’t vote in Aussie? Do they get a fine? Do they care? Regarding the koala: They’d give you a permit I’m certain. For a short while last summer we had a member who got to foster a kangaroo joey.

Azerane, fledglings are heart-breaking. We found 3 last summer, a crow and 2 jackdaws, no rare species, so no use calling any kind of wildlife-rescuers. The parents were there (actually the whole flock was there) and they were really angry when I tried to help. One of the jackdaws were fed for several days on the ground by its family until a cat got it. I chased that cat away like a million times, but it came back. It was so sad. We tried to help, tried to put the little one up in a tree and another one on a roof but no luck. Then we tried putting one jackdaw in Bam’s outdoors cage – but it didn’t survive. It’s amazing how corvus birds work together. The crow family were angry with me for days, as soon as they saw me they swooped down on me and screamed.

My goodness, Bam just jumped up on one of the IKEA doll beds that I’ve put under my writing desk in the hope of getting him to lounge there. I can’t take a pic because that’d scare him off, but I hope he makes a habit of it and then I’ll take a pic. 

• Azerane

Yes it would have been nice to have my camera, but better for the bird that I didn’t keep it.

Fledglings always have a hard time. The trouble is that so many well meaning people collect them for rescue for obvious reasons. Except they’re actually better off left on the ground (unless of course there is a cat hanging around etc) for the parents to raise, since they are meant to leave the nest at that age. Rescues here do take in common birds, I’ve heard of people putting at risk fledglings up in plant hanging baskets, away from cats but still protected. Here’s hoping the little guy makes it.

I’ve been wanting to get one of those IKEA beds for the bunnies, just because it would be adorable I hope you can get a picture of Bam using it. I’ll have to wait before I can splurge on one

• Bam

It was the cats that got to the three fledglings we tried to help. We don’t have cats of our own but many neighbors do. They’re always hanging around.

I bought my second IKEA dollbed at a charity shop for 1/6 of the price a new one costs. I love charity-shops, they often have stuff that bunnies can use.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Kuwait only has one charity shop that I know of, and I LOVE it. I miss having more so I can make an outing of it.

• jerseygirl

@Azerane, I meant capture a photo, not the birdy. Is that what you thought I meant?

• LBJ10

Yes Jersey, I’m sure all the non-US members are very curious and wondering what the heck is going on over here. LOL

Bam, yes, the death penalty thing was on the same ballot. It was a local issue. Our state legislature voted on a bill to replace the death penalty with life in prison. It passed. People in our state were upset about it, so they petitioned to have it on the ballot. It just so happened that the next election was the presidential election, so it ended up on a ballot that A LOT of people were going to turnout for obvious reasons. We had a 70% voter turnout here! Anyway, the language on the ballot was confusing. Since the death penalty was repealed, you were voting to either retain the repeal or repeal the repeal. So it does make me wonder if people voted for what they thought they were voting for. It wouldn’t surprise me if some people were confused and put down the opposite of what they had intended.

• LBJ10

My husband forgot I have tomorrow off at work…

• Azerane

^Hubby sometimes forgets I don’t work Saturday… even though I’ve worked a single Saturday in about the past 12 months

@JG, no I knew you meant with the camera. I meant not keeping it in terms of time, I didn’t want to disturb it for longer than necessary.

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

That’s confusing, LBJ. Glad I didn’t have to vote on that ballot. (I’d hope they’d retain the repeal…?)

Winter is chewing on an apple stick, and while I couldn’t be happier she isn’t chewing cage bars, it’s making an awful lot of noise.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

That’s very confusing LBJ.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

OMG LBJ – that is SO confusing!! I re-read your post and still don’t know what I’d vote for even if I knew what I wanted to vote….
      Crazy language! Why can’t they simplify it?!
      70% turnout that’s great

I am SO for voting being compulsory – even if you vote ‘blank’ (or whatever it’s called in English..! lol) meaning you don’t vote for anyone, at least it is counted and it should be compulsory everywhere. People would take more interest in ‘real’ politics and not be able to complain as much when the ‘other guy’ got voted in.

I didn’t vote back when I was a youngster ( ) in the UK, nobody ‘made’ me and I didn’t think that politics affected me. Ooops.

@bam – I’ve just looked re the fine in Australia and it seems that there is a fine of ‘just’ 20 AUD for not voting?! I thought it would be more. Is 20 AUD enough to make people go? Well maybe it is. Or maybe it’s education too that everyone knows they can and should vote.

Unfortunately a lot of people have forgotten that it is a recent privilege and a right to be able to vote.
      Women have gone (and still are in some countries) to prison and even died to get the womens’ vote. And it is not used.

Bunnies should be able to vote – they’d make the right decisions !!!!! LOL They could nibble the edge of the ballot sheet to make their vote !

• Azerane

Well, that was a depressing innings of cricket for Australia. However, I now have huge admiration for the South African bowlers and fielding skills though. Not sure we can come back and win this Still, it’s been exciting to watch while preparing a month’s worth of food for Dory.

Dory has been so crazy today. At first she was grumpy and squawking all the time. Then once she ate some more food she seemed happier and she just went into crazy, loud, weird and create new noises mode. It was hilarious.

• LBJ10

BunnyFriends – There was a lot of support in my county to retain the repeal. In fact, my county voted for just that. Unfortunately, the rest of the state voted to repeal the repeal. They won, obviously, since the state as a whole has more people. So our state will be having the death penalty back on the books here shortly.

Azerane – It was a holiday today. I guess he just forgot. o_O

OMG, just think of the things bunnies would pass if they could vote! I think the first thing they would vote for is universal naner benefits.

• Azerane

Haha, and mandatory fresh hay top-ups every hour!

Just did some calculating. For those who aren’t going to care I spent probably at most $8 at the market this morning on food for Dory’s chop mix. It made 31 serves so that’s 26 cents per meal. Can’t get much cheaper than that. Her evening meal is probably more expensive since I tend to just feed whole veg/fruit then like slices of capsicum or piece of corn cob etc as opposed to a mix.

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

The language is still slightly confusing me, ha ha.

Az – So is Dory’s diet like the rabbits? Veggies and (a little) fruit? Or does she eat that bird mix stuff you see in the store?

• Azerane

She has mostly veggies with a bit of fruit and sprouted seed. In the morning she gets 1/2 cup of finely chopped veggie mix. It usually includes at least six of the following: Sweet potato, pumpkin, zucchini, kale, silverbeet, broccoli, cucumber, carrot, capsicum, coriander, radishes, and sprouted mung beans. I make big batches and freeze it in little bags. When I feed it in the morning I add 1 heaped tablespoon of sprouted seeds. Seeds as a base diet are very bad for parrots and can lead to fatty liver disease. Sprouted seeds have much less fat and more beneficial nutrients. So I just buy a small parrot seed mix, sprout it and add it to her food. 

Then for her evening meal I usually give two different foods such as half a kiwi fruit and a slice of corn on the cob, or some steamed and cooled green beans and a few blueberries. Eclectus parrots are actually quite prone to absorbing too many nutrients from food (longer digestive tract), so diets high in dried seed or formulated pellets can lead to behavioural and health issues. So with Eclectus, and any parrot really, fresh is best I try not to give too much fruit because obviously it is high in sugar and apparently too much fruit can encourage breeding behaviour, and that’s something I want to avoid. 

During the day, sometimes I’ll put some treats in her foraging wheel, or stuff a pinecone with dried slices of fruit, an almond or two and some air popped corn.

TL;DR. Yes, mostly veggies with sprouted seeds, and a little bit of fruit.

• Bam

Az, 20 AUS, that’s not a lot. I’d imagine collecting the fine from the “offenders” costs more.
      The vote is a privilege and we should all vote. In my opinion!
      I’d like to be a parrot in your house.

• Azerane

Haha, me too. I wish we ate as well as she and the bunnies do!

Also I agree, $20 is exceptionally low for a fine, I agree. I suppose it’s more of minor annoyance that people would want to avoid. Easy to do though by just getting your name ticked off at the polling place and then just not filling out the ballot paper. Saves you a fine too. The older I get, the more interested I get in voting, politics is boring to me, but I appreciate the value of it and the value of voting.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I’ve really been trying to think about what I want to do for a career and whatnot once I graduate, but I’m a very indecisive person and I can’t choose what I want to do. I’m also a slightly impatient person so I don’t want to do something that requires a TON of college (No brain surgeon career for me ). I’ve thought about going into the Medical field, becoming a veterinarian, Going into the service, becoming a teacher, becoming a crime scene investigator, becoming a lawyer, I’ve even thought about going to cosmetology school to become a hair dresser or something IDK.
      Why can’t I just become a well paid bunny snuggler???

Participant

Choosing a career is the most difficult thing ever, especially when you’re just graduating. Does your school have a career counselor? Maybe they can help you choose the right path.
      What you said about being impatient is a good bit of insight: you like to see the results quickly, and this possibly means that you’ll do well in an active fast-paced job where things change. Some people hate that, some people thrive on it. Do a bit of soul-searching, and don’t hesitate to call businesses that you’re intested in. Ask them if you can take a look behind the scenes, follow them for a day, or take a short interview with someone. Nothing prepares you better for a job than looking into the daily doings of the people with the same career.
      Also: ask friends, family members and other people close to you what they think. They can often tell you which characteristics you have, these are important if you take career tests and such.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

A lawyer requires seven years of university, so you can scratch that off your list. A teacher requires 5-6 years and you will never see quick results. lol

See how helpful I am? You narrowed things down already

• Bam

Moxie, please be a veterinarian. That would be SO great! You already have experience with a ton of animals!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

But probably on that list, it is a vet which has to go through the most training…..

Ask your family by all means, but don’t take any notice if they say you can’t do something that you think you want to..

I wanted to be so many things (still do!) and some of them were headed off at the pass by my parents. I dont blame them, and i am not someone to regret, but I do sometimes wonder, what if?

But now im a big girl and can do anything i wish to without parental validation, I still dont know what to do with my life!!!

You could do zoology…. See where that leads….
      Be prepared to change direction sometimes, the best things in life are sometimes the unexpected ones.

Participant

Agree with Vienna, life works in mysterious ways. Sometimes you roll into a career which you’d never expected from the start.

Talking about surprises, I just got a phonecall from a company where I had applied. It took weeks of waiting and I never expected to hear from them again, but I just got called by the owner of the company (on a saturday?). Appearantly they were impressed by my CV and they’re always looking for nit-picking supergeeks. There currently are no vacancies, but they may be willing to place me anyway. We’ll meet for introductions on the first of December. Nothing guaranteed yet, but at least it’s not a big old “NO!”.

My disability could be an issue, but maybe we can work things out during a so-called “work experience period”. They can hire me for several months for free, to see if it’s a match.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

That’s great news Ellie !!!!!

• LBJ10

Moxie – Nothing worthwhile is quick and easy. Take it from someone who knows. When you are young, still in high school, the idea of spending even 4 years in college just sounds like an eternity. But it isn’t. My biggest regret was not being able to attend college when I was 18 and finishing when I was 22. Now I look at all of the people younger than me being able to buy houses, etc. and I wish that I could have been where they are when I was their age. So if you want to go to college, then go. Don’t let 4 years scare you. Heck, don’t let 6 or 8 years scare you. They will fly by and when it comes time to graduate, you might find yourself not wanting it to be over “already”.

BunnyFriends – I know! LOL

Ellie – That sounds really promising! How exciting!

Ok… all this talk about naners has the weirdest thing stuck in my head now. So you know how Weird Al did a parody of Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise? He did Amish Paradise. How about a parody that is Bunny’s Paradise? Bahahahaha!

• Dface
      Participant

Ellie-that’s really exciting!!

Moxie- If you are basing your interest in CSI off of the show, you will be bitterly disappointed. It is not like that at all!

Veterinary is hard work and a lot of hard, frustrating days. I backed away from it when I realized I would not be able to do some of the things requested of me(putting a healthy animal to sleep, dealing with peoples continued cruelty to their pets) I simply didnt think I’d have the mind-set for it.
      I did a four year Science degree with a Zoology major, which got me a job in a human pathology lab, which I quit to return to college to do computational genomics…which is not an area I see myself staying in, but it’s useful to have.
      But it’s hard to see what you’ll like until you are actually studying it/doing it.

One of my friends is a cell biologist-who is now a science teacher.
      Another was a physicist who did a masters and phd, she is a child minder now.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

computational genomics..

???? !!!!
      I know I’ve been out of the UK for a while, but I have absolutely no idea what you just said there….. LOL – could you explain in one sentence…..

• Azerane

I went to university, graduated, and still don’t have a career in my field or know what I want to do otherwise Most importantly at the moment I have a very stable job that I happen to enjoy, and it pays well that I can pay my rent, and feed myself etc In my free time, I can still do all the things that I’m interested in and enjoy. I’m lucky that my field of study relates to my hobbies and some of my volunteering so I still feel like I’m getting something out of it. While it would be amazing to have a job in my desired field, ultimately, I don’t think it matters as much providing you enjoy the job the you do have and are still able to do what you enjoy outside of work as well.

My whole childhood I wanted to be a vet. My grades in highschool weren’t high enough to get me into vet courses, but I’d also done a week of work experience at a vet clinic, which I enjoyed, but you very quickly realise that much of being a vet is dealing with people, not animals. You need to know how to diagnose animals, but you need amazing people skills. Plus after a week it was a lot of the same thing. Dog, dog, dog, cat, dog, cat, cat, dog, dog, cat, and so on. Not that I don’t love those animals, but for teenage me I didn’t find consults terribly exciting. Surgery however was absolutely fascinating.

• Dface
      Participant

Dont worry Vienna, most people look at me like I’ve started speaking in tongues when I say it! Watching my mam try to tell people what it is that I do is really amusing

It’s the area that studies genomes and disorders associated with them..so things like cancer mutations and how to try and stop/ prevent them, or reverse them.
      It can also look at ancient relationships(like where a species may have diverged in evolution)

because sequencing whole genomes is really only emerging as a big area relatively recently, it’s a newish kind of field.

• BubblesJo
      Participant

Dface, so what you do is like bioinformatics? My bf works with similar stuff, and he does evolutionary lineages of a group of protists. Are you doing an MSc?

Moxie, zoology/biology is great to do but if you want to do research after it means a masters, a phd and probably a couple of post-docs. You can do other stuff with a bio degree though, like work in a lab, in an aquarium, as a science educator… but it’s a hard field to crack into. I say look at the things that make you happy. Do you have a favourite subject in school, or is there something that you’re always excited to do? Figure out what makes you like it, and you’ll get much closer to what would be good professions for you And things change! I’ve completely changed my mind on what I wanted to do half way through my phd

• LBJ10

Vienna – it’s a type of bioinformatics. I took a class on it in undergrad. Interesting stuff, but I didn’t think I could do it all day, everyday.

Now I suppose I don’t have a ton of room to talk. I studied biology and environmental studies. Then went to grad school and did natural resources (human dimensions). I’m in a position right now that sort of fits. But I found my passion was nature and nature education. Being a naturalist was the best thing that ever happened to me and it saddens me that I’m no longer in that position. Don’t get me wrong, what I do is great. But I sit in an office all day and repeatedly come to the realization that the system in which I must do my job doesn’t necessarily allow for what I feel needs to be done. There are a lot of things I would like to do, things that I have been trained to do, and I can’t because… well… the mayor doesn’t want anyone to do anything that would be perceived as “impeding” business or development.

• Dface
      Participant

BubblesJo- yeah the course I’m in is a masters in both, but I think they are just being considered the same thing. Interesting but headwreckingly complicated to learn when your previously computer experience is using google to look up rabbit pictures

LBJ10-that sucks It must be horribly frustrating !

• LBJ10

Dface – It is. LOL But there isn’t really anything I can do about it. I just have to keep playing to system. On the bright side, the mayor’s office is short staffed so they have been allowing me to produce my own brochures and ads with very little input on their part. They used to dissect everything, so if I had normative messaging hiding in my educational materials they would ruin it by rewording every line of text. So annoying!

• LBJ10

We get naners on demand,
      Living in a bunny’s paradise.
      Humans obey our every command,
      Living in a bunny’s paradise.

Hehe, now that song is going to be stuck in everyone’s head.

• jerseygirl

Thanks for that LBJ! Lol Ellie got Bon Jovi in my head yesterday, now it’s Coolio.

• Azerane

• jerseygirl

@ Ellie, congratulations. It sounds promising!

@Moxie, some GREAT advice already given. I agree about getting work experience in fields that interest you. That insight would be invaluable.
      Did the personality test you posted about give any insight to the type of work that would suit you? And did you agree with the suggestions?
      Any subjects you really enjoyed or were naturally good at?

• jerseygirl

Lol, Azerane…you are forgiven for that ONLY because it was accompanied by a cute video.

• Bam

Ellie, congrats!!! It sounds really promising!

Moxie, do listen to LBJ. 4 years seem like a lot at your age, but it isn’t. 7 years isn’t. It sounds like a lifetime, but the older you get, the faster time goes.

Participant

Hehe, I love Weird Al. My favourite has to be “White and Nerdy”, because the nerds look just like all my friends. There’s a room on campus here which houses the games club, the library club and the LARP club. It’s nerd Walhalla

Thanks everyone, I’m super excited and trying very hard to keep a level head. It’s only a bit of sniffing at eachother, seeing if we can make it work at all, but at least someone is interested. It’s been 1,5 years since an employer wanted to invite me to any kind of interview. Now I have to sound like I’m not absolutely desperate.
      The problem is that there’s a new law here in the Netherlands which favours some people with a disability but excludes the majority of us. Companies have a quotum now, they have to hire a certain percentage of people with a disability. It’s called the Participation Law, and in theory it integrates people with disabilities into society. Great, you’d think. But…

There are 3 groups: people who were born disabled or got a disability before their 18th or before finishing their studies. This group is called the Wajong. There’s also a group of people who are mentally or intellectually disabled, this group is called WSW. And then there are all the people who became ill or disabled during adulthood, the WIA. Well, the Participation Law only counts for the Wajong and the WSW, and the people in the WIA are now officially screwed twice.

If companies were thinking of hiring someone with a disability at all, they’re now only looking for Wajong and WSW people to fill their quotum. There have also been reports of companies firing WIA people only to replace them with people who DO fit the quotum. I know it’s discrimination, hugely unfair and extremely angering, but what do you do? Keep on applying endlessly, hope someone will bite and hope that someone is willing to see me as a person instead of a “disabled-person-who-doesn’t-fit-the-quotum”.

• Barrett
      Participant
      269 posts Send Private Message

Good luck Ellie! It’s strangely comforting to know that bureaucratic ineffectiveness happens in other countries too.

• Barrett
      Participant

That sinking feeling when you reach down to pick up a strange object on your floor and you realize it is what’s left of one of your kids’ rubber balls.

• lovebellabun
      Participant
      83 posts Send Private Message

Favorite veggies…..

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Ellie, that sounds bonkers !!!

Somebody born without any legs, or someone becoming a double amputee as an adult does not change the end result or their capabilites or their disablement.

Bonkers.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

It’s not even 5 and I am ready for bed. Uhg, Daylight Savings. =/

• Dface
      Participant

My housemates brought people home from a night out at 1am.
      At half one, I went down to tell the 15 strangers in my house to stop shouting.

They were quiet for 15 minutes.

At half 2 one of their guests starts hammering on my bedroom door. (I’m the third floor up, nothing up here but my room and the room of the girl on placement atm, aka he’s no reason to be up here)

I scold him, send him back down stairs.

Its 3am. The rabbits are very much awake and excited at the early morning we are having.

They are awaiting breakfast impatiently as I try to ignore them…
      Good start to my Monday!!

• jerseygirl

Oh no Barrett. You just get throught the years when ya kids wanna put everything in their mouth, and now here you are again with Patton. Is he acting okay?
      Lots of hay to push everything through? I don’t know what is is about rabbits and rubber. Remote controls buttons are a favourite with them.

@Ellie, I agree completely, that is hugley unfair. How can the call it participation law or think it’s inclusive when they exclude a select group of disabled persons? Baffling.

• jerseygirl

Oi! Dface, that is NOT okay. How completely rude!!! Is it even worth you having “a talk” with your housemates? Well, Im glad the rabbits aren’t distressed at least. Sorry for your lack of sleep though!  It’s gonna be a long day. 

• Barrett
      Participant

Posted By jerseygirl on 11/13/2016 9:21 PM

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t even know how long ago he was eating it. It could have been more than a week ago. And yes, he’s acting perfectly normal. I’m having to shoo him off my laptop even as I type this. It’s very difficult to type one-handed, you know

I think I would be more concerned if he at the half of that rubber ball WHOLE! 

Participant

Yikes, rabbits always seem to nibble at exactly the things they should avoid. Hope that Patton is doing okay.

There’s a special place in hell for roommates like that DFace. Are they a bit more social otherwise, or are you itching to leave?

• Bam

Barrett, Yohio did that when he was young. Here’s a pic of him with a cat toy that looks like a dandelion flower, but it’s actually a plastic ball. Minutes after the pic was taken, he’d eaten half of it. No adverse reactions were noted.

• Reesebun
      Participant

Happy birthday to me, but I should be saying happy birthday to Reese because she got most of the presents! 

• Bam

Happy birthday to you, ReeseBun!!!!

• Dface
      Participant

I’ve had to talk to them about this before and I posted a house rules note on the fridge, saying guests must be well mannered and respect the fact that others may be trying to sleep, it hasnt happened in a little while, but I’m furious.

I washed all the floors this weekend and vacuumed the house and they are absolutely disgusting now. Covered in food, drink and vomit…and by food I mean an entire packet of digestive biscuits has been mashed into the floor, along with various other substance of unknown origin.

I’d love to leave, they are vile to live with-their hygiene is abhorrent (and that comes from the girl who has litter trays in her room ), but Im in a ten month contract, and even if I break it, nowhere else wants rabbits in their property!

I tried to be reasonable about it because I was afraid of them complaining about the rabbits, but I’m so done with their crap.

Hahaha sorry rant over!!

Reesebun-Happy Birthday!! And in honesty you probably get as much enjoyment from watching Reese play with ‘your’ gifts as you would if they were presents designed for you!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REESEBUN !!!!!

Dface – 10 months will go quickly – but you could always tell your landlord/lady, that should calm things down
      Or wait to see if it was a one off. You don’t want to start an in-house war (you don’t know what they may be capable of when you’re not there) – are you the only one effected by this…? Or are there other innocent bystanders in the house?

Are you going to be in the area for longer than 10 months – you could still keep looking around for a better place that takes animals, no?

Put an ad somewhere, someone might love bunnies…

• Dface
      Participant

Yeah I’ll be here longer than the 10 months, but they wont be. The rabbits love the place, my room is huge, big enough for them to binky and zoom around to their hearts content(It’s the only time Yumi will bunny 500 around )
      One of the other girls is the same as me, although they are all at an advantage that when they feel the house is too horrible to stay in, they go home(they all live within 30 minutes to an hour away) I on the other hand get to stay and play the roll of Cinderella!

I have been looking but in general pets just are not tolerated. I found one or two, but they had big boisterous dogs, Sampras hasnt the sense to be afraid(having been raised around my dog from a young age) which could be a disaster and Yumi is the opposite, she’s terrified of dogs(her last home gave her up after the dog tried to make a meal out of her.)
      Ah I will just have to have some stern words with them.
      As much as I hate confrontation I know my grades will suffer if I amnt able to get sleep

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Happy birthday ReeseBun!!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Hang in there, Cinderella had all the fun in the end……

• Reesebun
      Participant

One of the presents were RABBIT HURDLES!!!! I’m so excited to try them out, but first I have to train Reese to follow a stick.

• Dface
      Participant

Haha thanks Vienna!
      Reesebun-you’re gonna have to get pictures/videos of that

Participant

Ooh, rabbit hurdles! I love watching those videos. I found a really great one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JiXCpyDEuw

• Reesebun
      Participant

Lol Ellie! I imagined the bunny saying : “I ain’t got no time for that!”

• jerseygirl

Happy Birthday ReeseBun!! 

Happy birthday Albert Alvarado Love, aunt Theresa uncle Richie.:

• LBJ10

Happy birthday ReeseBun!!!

Wow, does anyone feel as tired as I do? I couldn’t keep my eyes open at work after lunch. =O

• Jessica
      Participant
      161 posts Send Private Message

ugh finally got a break from work and taking care of the pets, hows every bunny? i know it early but i finally got a decent holiday picture of flopsy. her first Christmas pictures i lost when my camera died but this year i got one

also happy birthday reeese!

• LBJ10

Hi Jessica! Did you post the picture in the picture thread? I haven’t been over there in awhile.

• LBJ10

Hey, where’s Andi?

• jerseygirl

@LBJ: Possibly out snorkelling on the barrier reef somewhere, I expect.

I don’t spend much time on FB but just saw this “gem” and wanted to share…
      A page that post cute stories/photos/vids of animals for general enjoyment posted video of 2 lop rabbits.
      It’s had only one commenter and he writes “There’s thousands of them eating the countryside in new Zealand. If you love them so much do us a favour and get a few hundred and take them home with you. Even better start eating them.”

Yeah yeah, typical.
      Nothing I haven’t seen or heard before.

A woman replied to him:
      “They are wild bunnies not domesticated bunnies like this cute beauty”

To which he replied: “Keeping rabbits is like keeping pet sheep or pet rats. It desensitizes you from the reality that they are food or pests. They serve no useful purpose other than that. If you are lonely get a man.”

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Should’ve replied that keeping men is the same: They serve no useful purpose.
      I kid. 90%.

Dface: Invest in a really pungent fart spray. Then sneak downstairs, and let it rip from around the corner. It should clear out your livingroom in no time at all. Totally serious.

• jerseygirl

Posted By Q8bunny on 11/14/2016 11:59 PM

Dface: Invest in a really pungent fart spray. Then sneak downstairs, and let it rip from around the corner. It should clear out your livingroom in no time at all. Totally serious.

Or just “get a man”, it’ll serve the same purpose.

Also kidding! I couldn’t resist. TG all men aren’t as obnoxious as that FB troll.

• Azerane

Happy Belated Birthday ReeseBun! I hope you had an amazing day!

Participant

When comparing men to bunnies I found out that bunnies have better litterbox habits. Fewer misses and such. I’ve had clean-ups after several parties with my (mostly male) group of friends, going like: “What, but how did you manage…??” Since then I strongly suspect that some guys are shaped like a recorder down there: 1 hole below, but 7 on the front and 1 on the back. Possibly with an errant spray nozzle somewhere to the side to pee in a 90° angle.

Bunnies also don’t fart underneath the bedcovers, which is an added bonus.

Luckily men don’t eat their own droppings before giving you kisses on the face, so I guess it’s a tie in the bun vs. man hygiene competition.

• Bam

Ellie, those are some very important points you’re making

A man can be almost as high maintenance as a rabbit, but as a rule a man demands far less veggies.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Off to the vets with Paris in a couple hours…She has a really big splinter that’s embedded pretty darn deep into one of her toe pads..

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Ellie, I laughed til I cried

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Kiko (my sister’s bird) may be sick, so we are bringing him to the vet today too. He needs to get a fecal examination and blood work. gahhhhh

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

(((( Paris )))) (ouch )

• Bam

((((((Paris)))))) (((((Kiko))))))

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

REALLY peed off btw.
      Lunchtime, a guy comes into our office – when the only lady who stays during lunch went for a pee – walks around, helps himself to my work phone, her handbag, and a pressie in a package I had prepared to send to Oz today (sorry JG, Az, not for you… ) and walks out.

A colleague saw him and his car, but didn’t know then what he had done – so spent the next 2 hours driving around town, carparks and wherever to find the car… but we didn’t..
      Luckily for colleague, he took just the cash from her handbag and threw it out of his car along the road

It makes me VERY angry when people take things from other people thinking it’s the normal thing to do….. gggrrrrr

(Obviously, a few post-its from work don’t count…. )

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Tosser >

• LBJ10

Oh no Vienna! That’s awful. You just can’t trust anyone or anywhere (work!) these days.

Ugh, I feel so worthless at work. It’s depressing. I literally don’t have much to do because everything is currently on hold while our money situation is figured out. I don’t have enough stuff to fill my time each day. Then, I was apparently nominated to represent our department on a planning committee. My coworkers said I’d be perfect for the job… yet I wasn’t at this meeting. Wow, they sure like to make decisions about stuff when I’m not there. *sigh* Oh well, I guess at least now I will have a little bit more to do.

• Azerane

I understand the frustration Vienna. What a horrible thing to have happen and I’m sorry you lost the gift for your friend. I’ve had my wallet stolen before, it was an upsetting and frustrating experience.

• jerseygirl

Oh, sorry to hear it VB What an absolute pain!
      Opportunistic so-and-so…

Keep an eye on the popular Buy and Sell pages as he may try sell the phone or goods for quick cash.

Did your work phone have a locator app on it?

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Q8 – haven’t heard that for a while – I LOL !

LBJ – it was someone out of work…. he had no business benig in the office, though our front entrance door is never locked!!

Az – I was p’d off yesterday but realise nothing bad happened and nothing serious stolen, so all is OK. Made police report today anyhoo and someone else at work saw the car too and said the little front triangle window was smashed, so no doubt the car was stolen too !!

Re the pressie – I liked the gift so much that I bought 2 from Amazon. One to go to Sydney and the other for my bunnysitter friend – so the 2nd one has left today for Down Under (FINGERS crossed please it gets there before 31/11…. long story) and bunnysitter will have to wait…. LOL

JG – I did look a bit, but it’s gawn gawn gawn. Nope no Locator app… and they only work if the phone is left on, which of course the nasty man switched off immediately.

But, noone hurt, only a bit of cash gone and a pain in the butt…. nothing drastic.

” Always look on the bright side of life… da dum, da da da da da daaaaa ”

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

I stopped at the store today and picked up some veggies for the buns. Course, it just happened to be the prices were up, but oh well, at least the rabbits enjoy it.

Vienna – Oh, I’m soo sorry. I can’t believe they’d steal that from you….

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Thanks VB, now I’ve been humming that song all afternoon!

• Azerane

I have to put down the bunnies birthdays on their forms for microchipping this Saturday. I don’t know what to put I guess I just make an educated guess based on what the rescue told me, benefit being I can pick whatever day I want

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Google and see if there’s a cool day or something in history around those days and pick. I wish I had been born on talk like a pirate day.

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Ooooo, or Star Wars day, Q8.

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Bunnies are sooooo snarky.

Ok, so I LOVE Caesars tail and the little tease pokes it out through the cage bars. It’s a perfect little cotton ball. So I HAVE to touch it (how could I not?!) This makes him huffy. So anytime I try to scratch his head, he glares and foot flicks away.

Enter my husband. He comes along today and TWICE pets him with no problem. In fact, during the pet, Caesar looks at me sideways like “Do you see this?”. OMG!!!! Snotty bunny lol. Sooo unfair. *Pout*

• Azerane

I was just thinking about Star Wars day Unfortunately it’s at the wrong time of year for what I was told of their approximate ages.

If a bunny is a Christmas Bunny, do you think that means they were born around christmas, or that they were of the age for giving at Christmas (8 weeks)? If it’s 8 weeks, I missed Apollo’s birthday

• BrunosMama
      Participant

I would figure the giving age?

We only know one of our bunnies exact bday (since he was born here!) The others we just know gotcha months.

• BunnyFriends
      Participant

Giving age, probably.

I know Licorice’s birth month and Winnie’s exact birthday, so I’d say I’m pretty lucky in that prospect.

• Azerane

In terms of celebrating I’ll probably mainly be doing their gotcha day. But it’s nice to have a rough idea of when they were born to keep track of their age, otherwise I’ll forget how old they are.

Pretty sure the rescue got them both after a February fire 2015. Apollo being a Christmas bunny would be mean that he was born in late October 2014, and from memory of what they told me, Luna was still a baby when they got her, so she may have been born mid-late December. 2014. Which makes Apollo just a month over 2, and Luna just a month shy of 2.

Also, apparently, October 19th is Hagfish Day, lol.

• Azerane

Oh man, if Apollo had been born in 2015, he could’ve been born on Back to the Future day, Oct 21st Still might pick that one, lol. The only fun day in December is Monkey Day, lol, poor Luna

• jerseygirl

Apollo could have been younger then 8 weeks when given as Christmas gift.

Jersey was from a pet shop and I nominated a birthdate for her 8 weeks back from when I got her. It wasn’t until a long time later I realised she was more likely 5-6 weeks old – judging on her weight and looks. I know they are not supposed to sell them younger then weeks old but it definitely happens. Even more so when it’s a private sale

• Bam

All horses have their birthday Jan 1 the year they were born. Maybe the same goes for bunnies.

BM, I can just imagine how irresistible Caesar’s cottontail tail is =)

• BubblesJo
      Participant

BM, I do the same thing with Chester, but not so much with his tail. It’s his fluffy feet I have issues with! So fluffy Then he just gets up and just stares at me like I’m insane.

If anyone is interested in what kind of research I’ve been doing, I was interviewed by the New Scientist and it was published online yesterday It’s the first time someone as found my research interesting enough to report on! Link: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2113095-pilot-whales-babysit-each-others-young-while-swimming-in-groups/

• Q8bunny
      Participant

SO cool, Jo!

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Congrats, BubblesJo!

• Q8bunny
      Participant

A few weeks ago Chewie hopped on my lap for the first time – briefly.

Now I’m happy to report that he’s turning into a real lap bunny. Tonight he killed me with cuteness when he sat there smooshed against my tummy and would lift his head up to lick my chin a few times, and then loaf again.

I mean, we’ve always been super close, but he just didn’t trust laps or holding/picking up. Which means progress!

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

go Chewie

Jenny has quietly chewed four holes in my two months old settee

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

GJ. Oh oops. I do recall saying something about how brave you are getting a new sofa. (Or was that LBJ ?)

Chewie…. You must be extremely loooong to smoosh against a tummy and lick the face at the same time…. Lol

I have just discovered the dictation service on the iPad and it’s brilliant!!!!!!!

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Aw, Jenny Sorry, GJ…

Vienna: He has a very stretchy little neck. A bit of inspector Gadget in him.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Q8…. Orrrrrr, you have no top torso, (but you’ve already told us about your annoying boobs….)

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Its a very cheap n cheerful settee, the pair only cost £400, but I would still have liked them to stay hole free a little longer

I got new stuff to make the place feel like my space and not an empty nest made worse by being worn out and threadbare…

Q8, my eldest used to enjoy Inspector Gadget, he would approve the idea of a Gadget Bunny

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Go go Gadget Bun.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

GJ.
      ** big hugs **

• LBJ10

Haha! Gadget Bun! =D

Vienna – That was me. And no, the buns have not been allowed to touch the new couch yet…

• Azerane

I feel bad for Dory, our online pet store order arrived today with some new toys for her (just in time because she just finished destroying all her previous ones) and she went straight for one toy, I think she thought the brightly coloured wooden beads were delicious food I need to put a new seagrass mat in her cage too because she’s chewed a gaping hole in the current one, only trouble is when I change things over she gets very curoious and wants to come close and inspect, and sometimes wants to bite my hands, lol.

Bunnies got their new pellets too. Taste test approved, but they are little pigs.

ETA: Also, I’m super proud of my hubby! He was talking to a friend of his back in the states who mentioned that his girlfriend was thinking about getting a rabbit. Originally she wanted to get a cat, but her roommates weren’t sure they wanted a cat inside, so she thought about a rabbit because she’s seen pics of mine (and they’re cute) and she thinks it will be great to cuddle. My awesome bunny warrior husband gave him heaps of info in a polite way about how that wouldn’t work, why bunnies don’t love to cuddle, the mess that they make and how they’re more work than a cat etc etc. Very proud of him, fighting for bunny welfare

• Azerane

Also JG, you make a good point about Apollo quite likely being less than 8 weeks at Christmas, however that would place him in early November and Bandit’s birthday was Nov 1st, so I think I’ll stick with late October, just to avoid that.

I’ve filled out microchip forms, so their official birthdays are now Oct 29th (Apollo) and Dec 14th (Luna) Can’t get any more official than a form, lol.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Congrats

• Bam

Belated birthday-wishes to Apollo! Luna still has time to plan her big day =) Poor Dory! She thought it was berries and it wasn’t =( (Oh yes, that bird is suffering 24/7. Never gets anything yummy. Just neglect and the occasional beating. Just like my dog, actually.)

G.J, Bam has made holes in my couch too. I knew he would when I bought it, so I didn’t get anything pricey. We can’t have nice things. But honestly, I rather have pets =)

LBJ, you have promised never to let the buns have their way with your sofa.

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Oh, misery and regret.

I gave Bruno and Harley a cat tunnel to play with the other day. It’s the crinkly, paper bag sounding kind. They live in our bedroom. Now every morning around 6am they start running through it. It sounds like 10 cats stuck in a bag lol.

Bruno has also been grooming it, which is weird. It’s not even fuzzy. All I hear is “crinkle crinkle crink crink crinkle”. It’s awful cute though.

Participant

Oops, buns in the bedroom are a sure recipe for short nights. They are very active, playful and *inquisitive* at night. *Shudders from the memory*

Breintje was being awfully cheeky this morning. I had a bowl full of red currants with my lunch, and I called Breintje to give him a berry. Instead of eating the berry from my hand he dove head-first into the bowl and ran off with an entire bunch.

I yelled a bit in surprise, and he looked at me like: What? What did I do?? Cheeky little devil…

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Ellie, when our bun Roxie was young, my husband was feeding her raisins. But she snuck by his feeding hand and grabbed the box beside him and ran with it! Lol we were so shocked all we could do was laugh.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

LOL These stories sound too familiar…

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Some of you may remember Snickers had a slight sideways curvature in the top of her spine. I’m really happy to say that she is now holding and moving her head in a much more relaxed looking way and a quick examination of her spine feels nice and normal. She is celebrating with two slices of carrot

All that running around the living room and lying fully stretched out is paying off

Everybun n piggy is of course sharing in the celebration

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Well that is good news. But then again she is in a five star wellbeing Spa…. Lol

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I’ve been terrible at keeping up with the chat this month (okay, quite a few months)

• Azerane

That is great news about Snickers What wonders a proper environment can do for a bun’s health.

I was having a great sleep last night, until two neighbourhood cats decided to have a yowling contest right outside my open window. It felt like they were at it forever. Another good reason to have indoor only cats

This morning we’ve already been and had microchips implanted in the bunnies. Of course they weren’t impressed, but they’re happy to be home. Not much fuss from them either when getting it done which is good. Now when I never lose them, people will know that they’re mine, lol.

Moxie, you don’t keep up because you do so much with your time, I’m surprised you even get time to sleep and eat

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Lol Azerane. I don’t have a ton of plans this week (being a holiday week and all), so hopefully I’ll be on a little more.

• jerseygirl

That’s great GJ! So good to know these things are not permanent and the right care can turn it around.

Yay Moxie! Some R&R and last.

I spotted a spider on my bedroom curtain earlier and I went to find a container to catch it in. (I normally catch and release). By the time I came back, it had moved and now I can’t find it. I hope it’s not a kind that can hurt Timbu.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Yay GJ! That’s such great news! Concrete evidence that buns should not be kept in cages like corporate farm chickens.

Jersey: I do a yelp and retreat.

• LBJ10

Aww, poor thing. I’m glad it turned out not to be permanent GJ.

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

I think Snickers is glad it wasn’t permanent too! I had started to wonder, but it did take her quite a while before she really started making much use of floor time. The first couple of months with us, she barely left the dining room. Yesterday there was a big step forward again in the amount of time she spent in the living room, which is when I saw clearly how much more comfortably she was moving. With her being the only bun who doesn’t love racing up and down the stairs (Mini is now a stair racing master) I wondered up til now if her spine made the thought too painful, so now, given her spine is so much better, I’m willing her to try the stairs. Like Henry, she is always hungry, so I might try a trail of pellets, but she will need to be fast, as Mini is also always hungry for pellets and needs no excuse to play on the stairs. Running up and down the stairs would really tone her up and strengthen her poor muscles.

Mini was so funny the day he mastered the art of stair racing. Like Podge on his first day, his little bunny legs hadn’t built up the muscle tone, and on Mini’s fourth turn, his legs weren’t keeping pace with his willpower. He ran up the curved ones at the bottom Ok, but on the straight, those little legs just wouldn’t play ball, so he thumped at them. Honestly, the expression on his little face was priceless. Thump legs, you will keep running, thump. A couple more stairs, thumped with his legs at his legs again, same again after another couple of stairs. He was determined to make the top though! Once he made the top, he then had to get back down, with a few more thumps on the way, then it was straight to his bed for a long sleep. I’m pretty certain that’s why he thumped, as the same thing the next time, but less thumps. Trying to explain that thumping will only make tired legs even more tired of course got ignored as what does a non-bunny know anyway.

• jerseygirl

Haha, what a funny little bun! I shall try stomping my feet whenever I feel tired at work and knock off time is too far away. It will keep me amused at least.
      Maybe he was thumping to warn whoever was at the top that he was coming. Big, fierce rabbit that he is. That wouldn’t explain the thumping on the way down though, would it.

• Bam

GJ, how adorable!! Legs, you will obey *thump*. I wish I had stairs. My mother does but they’re only open staircases, so not bunny-safe. I love that Snickers’ spine has righted itself. Another great success story from the Gina.Jenny 5-star bunny spa!

BM, I have those crinkly tunnels too. Bam grooms his a lot. It’s not the least bit fur-like.

Moxie, we know you’ve been super-busy with real life and all that =)

Jersey, please wear full body armor until you’ve found that spider. That’s so scary.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Yay for stairs !!! You know, that’s why they call them “stair runners” !! Boom boom !!! (or is that just an English joke?….  ) 

Mine are wood (light blue, don’t ask…) , so even if they had access they really wouldn’t like them….
      Henry thumped a few times in the bath the other day – good gracious, it shook the house with no solidity underneath the porcelain!! LOL

I think it’s a sort of a ‘not sure what to do now’ thump … going up thump, not too sure… going down thump… not too sure but I’ll try…. !!
      Or it’s the equivalent of a good slap on the back “COME ON, you CAN do it ” ….

Moxie – take time to appreciate your ‘down time’. No really. Take a step back when you’re not doing anything and think ‘ahhhh, that’s a nice feeling’….

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Podge maintains that the stairs played a big part in why he agreed to bond so easily with Gina, nothing and no-one was ever taking him away from his mountain, and if that meant bonding with a cute little girl bun, that was a small price to pay

This photo of Snickers yesterday morning shows how normal her spine looks now

This photo shows off what a beautiful little girl she is, as well as her nice flat spine (it used to curve up and sideways, towards her left shoulder, like an S-shape, not super obvious through fur, but clear to feel))

And this shows of how toned she is starting to get, now she is becoming more active, and hopefully shows how relaxed she feels too

When I started using the casserole dish that Mini is convinced is a bun-bed to stop Snickers scattering their dried grass everywhere, I hoped it would serve a second purpose, getting Snickers to stretch her neck to reach the dried grass, making sure it wasn’t too much of a stretch, and I think that has really helped too.

It certain looks now like the issue was with cramped, unused muscles, and not the bones themselves.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

That is super cute, Gina. Man, oh man, your buns are lucky

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Yeah GJ, Mini’s neck looks like it’s getting a reeeal streeeetch in that last photo !!!!!!! LOL – Stoopid bun !!

Hang on, I thought you were back with 3×2 not 3+2+1….?

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 11/19/2016 4:09 AM

Yeah GJ, Mini’s neck looks like it’s getting a reeeal streeeetch in that last photo !!!!!!! LOL – Stoopid bun !!

Hang on, I thought you were back with 3×2 not 3+2+1….?

We are back at 3×2? Pippi n Jenny, Podge n Gina, and Mini n Snickers. Where have you lost count?  Or is Mini that well camouflaged that you cant see him?? 

Mini says ‘not stoopid at all, its very comfy’

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Here is Snickers showing how she uses the dish for her morning work out of neck and jaw (dried grass takes some chewing )

Paws up….  Deep breath….

…. And stretch

Here she really is showing off how lovely and normal her spine is now

• jerseygirl

Oh yeah, it looks good in that final pic, GJ. Clever thinking using the black crock also!]

Rumball is not interested in his pellets tonight.

He seemed fine a few hours ago when I gave them more hay. He seemed to start eating it right away, but I didn’t stay around long enough to be absolutely certain. I think I jinxed myself when I wrote in an email earlier today that he seemed in good health. 

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

(((Rumball))) eating vibes xxx

• jerseygirl

Thank you! I can hear some tummy noises so I will try some infacol. Fingers crossed.

• jerseygirl

Hmm false alarm! He’s in the bathroom now, eating pellets. It’s strange, when I brought him out of the room, his ears where quite warm. I massaged the abdomen fir a bit. Just now, his ears feel cooler, more normal. Anyway, glad he’s eating as I type!

• jerseygirl

Or not. Im not going to say anymore! Im jixing, unjinxing, rejinxing myself. Reckon I’ll go ahead with the infacol.

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Snickers is on the stairs with Mini

She’s just gone back up with him for the third time  soooo good for her muscles, plus its FUN too she says

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

And five times, she’s loving this game Mini thinks its twice as fun with two too lol

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Snickers just did 8 laps of the stairs, that’s 8 times up and 8 times down, then she followed Mini’s approach and has gone to bed!

• jerseygirl

Haha! Shell have a bikini body in no time.

• Azerane

Well wishes for Rumball!! Sending happy bunny eating and pooping vibes his way!

• Hazel
      Participant

jersey: Eww, I hate spiders! I hope you find it before it finds you… Lots of vibes for Rumball! How is he now?

Gina.Jenny: Snickers looks great! I’m glad her spine is better. She’s such a pretty girl.

I’m getting pretty excited! It’s almost time…

I don’t like how they rehashed the failed jump/tail safe, but I can forgive that. Come on, December 6th!

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I will definitely enjoy my free time. I haven’t gotten my babysitting schedule for this week yet though, even though for the past week and a half I have specifically been telling them that I needed to know ASAP, so that I can make Thanksgiving plans. I told them they could just text me the days they needed me (they have my number, but I lost theirs)…Still haven’t heard from them. I think I’ll end up needing to babysit Monday/Tuesday, but I’m not sure about the rest of the week… =/

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Moxie – this is where you need to say – “I”‘ am available such and such day…. so they can work around you too…. or else they’ll call you the morning they need you !! (Or you say I am available *except* for this date… then YOU can make plans too )

Hazel – ignorant as I am I was thinking that looks a great film, I’ll go and see it …..

Off to see Daniel Blake in an hour…. I’ve been told to take tissues….

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Look at those gorgeous shoulder muscles

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

Posted By Q8bunny on 11/19/2016 12:12 PM

Look at those gorgeous shoulder muscles

Aren’t they lovely to see  she and Mini have just finished another play on the stairs  she’s exhausted, he keeps nudging her to come back and carry on playing

how is Rumball JG?

• Azerane

I just saw this on Facebook this morning, I lol’d
      https://www.facebook.com/cosmoaustralia/videos/10153193000700917/

Hazel, please tell me you get to play as the giant winged hyena thing!

• LBJ10

Aww, poor Rumball. It sounds like gas. I hope he feels better JG.

GJ – Look at how pretty she is!!!

K… so it’s $80 for an oil change on my prius…

• Hazel
      Participant

Vienna: Lol! You could watch a play through on youtube and pretend it’s a movie.

Azerane: No, unfortunately you have to play as the little boy. The giant winged hyena thing is your sidekick, you interact with it and give it commands and together you make your way through the environment. Much of the game will be puzzle solving/platforming. The creature is supposed to act a lot like a real animal, meaning it won’t always do what you tell it to, or at times it might get bored and wander off… Can’t wait!  

• Azerane

Aww, well that’s no fun if you don’t get to play the creature, lol.

Just turned the air conditioner on, it’s officially summer

• jerseygirl

Same.
      I’m sooo thankful to have cooling!
      I forgot to open the vents before switching it on so it was pretty noisy. Oops!

Thanks for well wishes for Rumball guys. He was ticking into hay later last night so I went to bed feeling relieved.

Spider is still AWOL. I don’t really have a problem with them, but I do worry if a type that could bite my bunnehs.

Mmm, watched that short vid Azerane. I’ll echo Q8 in saying gorgeous muscles!
      Oh wait – she meant Snicker’s.

• Azerane

Lol… nevermind

Yes I did fortunately remember to open the vents. We realised after Friday’s weather when we got a bit warm inside that we should have though about the air con, all ready for today though, which the bunnies are certainly appreciating.

I’m glad Rumball’s feeling better and eating hay well. In regards to the spider, I honestly struggle to sleep if there’s one in the bedroom that I know is there, but don’t know where it is. I remember staying at a friend’s place one night and they had an older house with huge ceilings, and right when I was preparing to sleep on the couch, I looked up and saw a big huntsman just hanging out in the top corner of the room. I had a terrible sleep All I could think about was that darn spider, lol. I kept turning the lamp on through the night and having to check where it was.

• jerseygirl

Im okay with Huntsmans to a degree. I mean, they alway give me a fright when I first spot them, but then I usually try shoo them outside. They do tend to sneak in in certain weather. When my younger sister was little and fossicking around in the garden, Mum asked what she was doing and she announced “looking for a Husband”.    Obviously, she meant Huntsman… It’s odd now I think about it because she’s scared of spiders. Maybe she developed that fear later in life. 

There are small spiders that have white bits on the legs and I always get to thinking they’re “white tails” which I know the bite is bad for. I usually squash them straight away. But someone told me the ones I keep finding are just baby wolf spiders.

Ugh, just looked up white tails though, and the one I saw yesterday had body shape like them. Im going vacuum the room TODAY.

• jerseygirl

I meant to tell you guys what happened when I walked Hunter on Friday. Well, ended up carrying him for a good part of the way! Ended up bruised for my effort too.

Half way into the walk, we came across a big staffy on the loose. Luckily, she was friendly – but overly so. She ran right up and tried to engage him in play. Problem is, Hunter just barks his head off at other dogs. Maybe it’s a bit of small dog syndrome, but he’s never really known how to act around other dogs. So, I ended up having to carry him as he would just keep turning and snapping at her. I was afraid he’s break loose also. Anyway,  at one point, she ran out onto a busy road.  

So I ended up calling her back and getting her to follow us until I could figure out where she belonged. One house I asked at was able to point out where she lived and it became obvious she regularly gets out. I knocked on the door, and as soon as the woman opened it, she quickly realised why I was there and called her dog in. She said her daughters keep leaving the door open.. She honestly didn’t seem overly concerned which kinda bugged me. I made sure she was aware that her dog nearly got run over. 

It was a good thing this dog was a friendly one. I realise I’m a bit naive when it comes to dogs on the loose though. I’m usually just concerned about their welfare when I should be more aware of my own safety and anyone else (dog or person) that Im with. On the most part, I’ll assume a dog is friendly. I just hope I can properly assess when I come across any that are not quite right and a risk.

• Bam

Jersey, so glad Rumball is eating his hay again.

The problem with unfriendly loose dogs is you don’t have much time to do any assessing. Here most dogs are friendly, but if I had a tiny breed dog, I’d too carry it if a big dog came running. Hunter must weigh like 10 kg or so,though – that gets really heavy very soon. I remember when Effi was a pup and I had to carry her because it took her an hour to walk 500 yards to the park (EVERYTHING must be investigated. A fallen leaf! Gravel! Every sound must be analyzed. Someone bicycles by – my goodness FASCINATING!) and what a little lump of heaviness she was.

• jerseygirl

It wasn’t too bad. I put him back down several times in the hopes he’d be more calm and just let her suss him out, but nope! I forgot to mention, I also lost my keys during this whole fiasco. I realized once I had taken the staffy back to it’s home. Then I had to retrace my steps to look for my keys. Luckily I found them not too far away but I was hot and bothered and scratched up by the time I got home. Hunter thought it was a great outing.

I have had to pick up a larger dog before but only for a short time. I may have said about that before. It was my sisters border collie/kelpie cross. Another dog attacked him and got her teeth into his chest. The owner was just wrestling with her and hitting her, trying to get her off. It just aggravated her further. I’d seen a video once about picking dogs up when this happens. Thank goodness it worked! But just remembering that incident, you’re so right, you don’t really have time to assess things before a fight breaks out. Both dogs were on leashes that time too!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Jersey. Picking dogs up? What? Picking up an attacking dog up makes him stop attacking. Ooooh didnt know that one.

That’s a good one (unless they whip around and chomp you too…)

I’m like you. A sucker for stray dogs and finding theit owners (generally not appreciated).

I think too that you would sense a nonfriendly stray dog and leave it alone. You’ve got the instinct….

• Reesebun
      Participant

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 11/20/2016 2:41 AM

Jersey. Picking dogs up? What? Picking up an attacking dog up makes him stop attacking. Ooooh didnt know that one.

That’s a good one (unless they whip around and chomp you too…)

Like my puppy…  never trust the cuteness!

• Bam

ReeseBun, that’s serious cuteness!

• Azerane

The cutest!

Ugh, Apollo is refusing food again. I saw him sitting funny in the litter tray, knew right away and tried offering all sorts of food. I suspect he’s ingested too much fur. Both him and Luna are going through an ultimate shed at the moment. I’ve just dosed him with simethicone in case it’s gas. Next step is to clean out the litter tray so I can keep a close eye on that, then to thoroughly brush both him and Luna. I did recently change their pellets, but that was 5 days ago and I had no issues until now which makes me think otherwise. He’s currently hiding from me in their tunnel.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Reese! That picture could be from a Pixar movie! I love it… so cute!

Az: My little weirdo got thoroughly brushed, and then while I walked across the room to put the brush away, he gobbled up the pile of fur I had left on the footstool to throw away. What a numpty!

• Azerane

Lol, sounds like a bit of a nutter

Apollo seemed to like being brushed, I think it helped with his belly pressing. He’s still just hiding away and looking miserable though. On the plus side, I got him to bite hay, even if he didn’t eat it. He showed enough annoyance that he bit the hay in half from my hand, haha. Pretty sure it’s time for another simethicone dose too, he is really tough to dose so hopefully it goes better than last time. Meanwhile, Luna has been adorable playing with the plastic baby keys. Nothing cuter than a bunny throwing stuff around with their mouth

Gotta prep their salad too, so hopefully it may tempt Apollo to eat. He seems to hold his tummy cramped in when he’s not feeling well, as it withdraws his sides in right before his hind legs and makes him look super skinny. Like it juts in right after his ribs. My poor boy.

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

(((Apollo))) eating vibes

• Azerane

Eating vibes worked!!!

After I shoved hay in his face for about the 30th time he gave in and nibbled some. Only a couple short strands, but better than nothing. Now 15 mins later he’s hopped around a bit with Luna, and accepted a dried papaya treat. Poops can’t be too far off, I’m expecting to see a big clump of fur in there.

• Bam

((((((Apollo)))))) Please eat, gorgeous boy!

• jerseygirl

Good to hear about Apollo. Hopefully that’s the end of it. A short ride in the car can sometimes help too, but depends how stress they get in car also.

• Azerane

Thanks, hopefully he improves from here on out. It’s so stressful watching him and just waiting for things to change. He has also just used the litter tray, there was about 3 small poops, but better than nothing. Now he’s snuggled up with Luna. I do not need this stress Apollo!

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Apolllloooo. Listen to us…… Eat, poop and be happy !!!

Q8. is it true that the postal system is as dodgy as it gets in Kuwait ? My friends were told its not worth getting sent anything as it will disappear into a big black hole….. They tried it with a non expensive letter/package and true to word, it never arrived….

• jerseygirl

I do remember Q8 saying one time that the postal system is almost non-existant there.

Vienna, re your earlier question about picking up dogs, it was a video from years ago I’d seen, so I don’t know the exact circumstances of when it would be appropriate to do it. It might not even have been something that was being taught to the general audience, just something mentioned following an incident on the show. Anyway, the theory behind it was they lose power (especially in the shoulders) once you take their feet off the ground, So they can no longer pull at the other dog. And maybe you get a bit of a “wtf” reaction from the dog.

• jerseygirl

This method sound way easier! https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/aggression/breaking-up-dog-fights
      Though I don’t fully understand “pull up from the back of his neck and collar – not from the top, but from the back and pull up,”

• Bam

A really vicious dog could try and jump up to get the dog you’ve lifted, but as a rule it’s still better than leaving the dog on the ground. The risk of you yourself getting bit is bigger though. But if a dog bites you, you can get help from the justice system, because it’s a much worse offense if a dog bites a human than if it bites another dog. If it bites another dog, it’s just a civil court case.

• jerseygirl

The thing I’d seen was to lift both dogs. I did a search and watched it again and to be honest, I don’t think they were really in control of the situation. It was more like commentry made after the fact. ie “When we did this, this was the result” but it doesn’t necessarily mean that will be the result each and every time. This was with 2 dogs that were really going at it.
      Definitely you are putting yourself right in there and at risk by trying to lift, I reckon.

For me, Jack was not aggressive and was on the receiving end. The other dog latched onto him. He was elderly and wasn’t interested in fighting back and not the type of dog to ever fight. But I was lift him somewhat to get him away from her, and then when her owner finally lifted her, she couldn’t tug and pull anymore.

ETA:

A really vicious dog could try and jump up to get the dog you’ve lifted, but as a rule it’s still better than leaving the dog on the ground.

Another really good point Bam. A vicious dog could continue to jump up and keep attacking. I hadn’t thought about what to do if the owner of that dog wasn’t in the picture!

• jerseygirl

Came across this today and quickly saved to faves. Love it.

Participant

Awww, that’s so beautiful Jersey We prescribe bunny hugs to any of our friends who are sad or stressed out.

Breintje was just being messy and adorable at the same time. I fed him a wedge of tangerine, a particularly juicy one. While he was chewing it noisily, the juice dripped out of his mouth and onto the carpet. He sat there happy as could be with a small puddle under his fuzzy face. To make sure he got every little drop he licked it all off the carpet.

• Q8bunny
      Participant

Vienna: Too true. The sandpit doesn’t actually have a postal system. There are privately owned P.O. box centers, but they are not to be trusted. We do everything via courier.

Jersey: I love it! Sweetness – and so true

Ellie: I’m melting at the thought. So so sweet. Chewie does that when I give him watermelon.

• Azerane

Aww, how sweet is that picture

Apollo was quite a bit better last night so I didn’t stay up to monitor him. He’s bouncing around this morning as per usual and eating hay and doing some poops. He didn’t eat pellets this morning, but he hasn’t eaten more than two or three of them for the past 3-4 meals. He doesn’t like the new pellets anymore. At first he dived into them straight away and gobbled them up, now he’ll eat one and go looking for something else, haha. I’m going to have to switch back to Burgess sooner rather than later, fussy bunny.

• LBJ10

Glad to hear Finn is doing better.

I think of an aggressive dog wants to get another dog, they will jump up and/or knock the person down to get to them. It never stopped me from picking my dog up when a big dog came toward her. A dog never attacked her, but we did witness one at the park. A great dane that had gotten loose from his yard ran into the park and attacked a woman with a labradoodle. She was screaming for help. My husband went to pull the dog off, but he was no match for him. The dog was too strong. Now I wonder what would have happened if he had grabbed his back legs and lifted them up.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

I’ve always heard that the best way to separate a dog fight (if they are really going at it), is to have two people grab the back legs of the two dogs (one person for each dog)(like they are a wheelbarrow) and walk them backwards. If they try to turn around to attack you next, they will fall on their face.

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

LBJ– we posted at the same time, lol

• Bam

Here they say the best way is to put a leash around the attacking dog’s neck and strangle it until it faints. I don’t know if it’s true, luckily I’ve never been in that type of really bad situation.

• Gina.Jenny
      Participant

I’ve read throwing a coat or jumper over a dogs face will stop it?

Pippi is off to the vets tomorrow for his annual check up and jabs, some ‘keep calm’ vibes would be good, please!

Not sure whether to bring Jenny, as she is in full moult again right now, and I know she would find the trip very stressful. I don’t want to risk sending her into stasis, but nor do I want her turning on Pippi after cos he smells funny.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

Could you keep loads of Jenny’s (moulted) fur and when Pippi returns home, you smother him in her fur, rubbing it in and rubbing the nasty smells out ??

• Q8bunny
      Participant

(((calm Pippi)))

• LBJ10

My husband wanted to try Zoup tonight. So not worth the money. o_O And FYI – The menu board does not tell you what’s actually in the soup. The “rattlesnake stew” is actually rabbit. I only found that out because I looked at the website.

• Bam

(((((Pippi)))))

Viennas idea sounds like it could work. I’d do that. Because the rage of Jenny is like the rage of a balrog. The rage of a molting Jenny is probably even worse.

LBJ, that doesn’t sound nice at all. But now you’ve tried it so know you know. That’s good

• Dface
      Participant

The boiler broke in my house…I can see my breath in my room in the morning >.<
      Sampras and Yumi seem fine though-they’re tolerating this cold weather a lot better than me, they’ve lot’s more fur, and each other (lot’s of bedding and getting dragged up to the bed to preform hot water bottle duties as well!) But I still worry about their health. I mean the damp has started to get bad in the room (things feel wet ) And I’ve developed a nasty cough out of it.

• Bam

Dface, it’s probably still worst for you. Rabbits can after all live outside in the UK all year round, as they can here. As long as their can keep their undersides dry, they should be fine.

It sounds pretty uncomfortable though. A bit like living on a boat in November. It can’t be good for you. Do you think the boiler will get fixed?

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

I had my boiler fixed just yesterday (yayyyy!!!) Following 5 weeks with no heating or hot water…. (boooooo).

Couple of extra jumpers, quilts and thermos flasks (filled by an overworked kettle) by the bathroom sink did the job… but so happy hot water is back….

• Dface
      Participant

Rabbits can after all live outside in the UK all year round, as they can here. As long as their can keep their undersides dry, they should be fine.

They have been kept dry, I added 2 extra fleece layers under them though, jjust to be sure, and I also gave them extra things to snuggle into and extra food-I do know they can live out, but seeing as they’ve gone from nice and toasty(probably a little too warm for poo Yumi) to extremely cold within a short time I figure I was just a bit stressed

Man came today to check it, will be back tomorrow and warm will resume!!
      Luckily college library is open til 2am and its warm, so I can hang out there(without Yumi and Sampras )

• LBJ10

Bam – I tried the place, not the rabbit stew. I looked at their website before we ordered. It just makes me wonder how many people ate something there thinking it was something else.

The soup I had wasn’t bad, but it was so expensive. 2 bread bowls and 2 drinks was $20. I just didn’t feel like we got a lot for that $20. :/

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

LBJ, that’s kinda crazy (But I don’t really like soup lol)

• MoxieMeadows
      Participant

Well maybe it’s not that crazy, I don’t really know, but don’t think soup is worth that

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

I’ve just been looking at this site and she has very good videos of her bonding attempts, both successful and failed.

Re Cherry & Peter, I’m just surprised she didn’t continue another day…. or maybe they were speed dates so it didn’t ‘matter’ if the bonding didn’t work out (like Zou & Henry’s obliged arranged marriage absolutely must !! lol )

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Any comments from seasoned bonders would be great – as I am not sure what I would have done in those situations (certainly Zou and Henry happily and non-aggressively circled on their speed date like Cherry and Peter did for the first 10 minns but I didn’t keep them together for 40 mins like the video does…)

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Vienna, I didn’t have a chance to watch the videos, but the site has some good info on it. I wish I would have seen this site before all our bondings lol. We did it the hard way, learn as we went.

I’m curious about her squeaking bunny advice though. Roxanne made this noise as soon as she met Caesar through cage bars, but didnt display body language that indicated anxiety or fear. It seemed more like excitement. She doesn’t do it anymore, except occasionally when they play. She chirps a little.

• Bam

LBJ, I didn’t think you tried the rabbit stew, just that you tried out the Zoup-concept. It’s really weird that the menu board didn’t say what was in the soups. There could be other things people hate in soups. Like fennel. My SO hates fennel.

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

BM. The videos are really interesting (real time bonding displays rather than photos or just snippets of timid chasing well onto the bonding process) but in a way I wish I hadn’t seen them because I now have opinions on subjects I didn’t think I had them on (when really I know nothing about it) LOL.
      Like when she’s bonding the two rabbits in the hutch with the enclosed sleeping compartment (one entrance/exit) why didn’t she just shut the sleeping compartment off for the first couple of days rather than allow one bunny to be territorial in it straight away?

But hey it’s all interesting and it’s all information and it’s all knowledge and it’s all good to know

• BrunosMama
      Participant

VB, I’ve noticed litter boxes screw everyone up. It’s all love and grooming but noooooooo, when you add a litter box, it really hits the fan.

• BrunosMama
      Participant

I’ve found a clever gift for the husband on Amazon. It’s a T-shirt that says “unbeknownst to most, the world is completely ruled by a single rabbit smoking a pipe” and it pictures a little brown bunny with a pipe sitting next to a globe. It’s perfect because he is an avid pipe smoker (tobacco) and he loves bunnies. I’m so happy I found it

• jerseygirl

Ooh, I know that picture BM. Didn’t know it was on a t-shirt though. Mmm… tobacco. I love the smell of it, though it’s rare I get an opportunity to do so.

• jerseygirl

Just had a revelation and this is probably common knowledge….but is that where the name Chewbacca was derived from? Chewing Tobacco?
      I feel like this is something people have known for eons and Im just catching up.

• BrunosMama
      Participant

Ooooo, Idk Jersey. Makes sense

• Vienna Blue in France
      Participant

@Jersey LOL – i had a flash like that yesterday in the car… on the way to a friends and went over a speed bump, and for whatever reason tried to think how I spelt the word in French : “DOUGH-DAN” ….

THEN… a bolt came from the sky and I remembered it as being “DOS d’ANE”…… literally “a donkey’s back” – I said it about 10 times laughing out loud….!! Donkey ! (In the UK we used to call them “Sleeping Policemen”)

@BM – OH YES litterboxes…. when I bought Henry home the first time I let them out tog