Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Not sure what to title…maybe..what do you do with your bunnies? Are they interactive with you?

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nat
      Participant
      54 posts Send Private Message

Someday in the future when I move out (a good ways away, but hey, I’m known to plan ahead) I would love a bonded pair of adult buns for company. But I’m just worried…that all they do is sit around. You know what I’m talking about? My friend had a pair of bunnies that lived on her screened in porch in a giant hutch (before they went camping and came back to find them deceased with wild animal bites) and when I visited them they just stayed out of everybody’s way and totally did their own thing. (They did have free range of the porch almost all day.) Sure, they’ve got the *very** cute high, but I tend to take care of animals better when they love me back. Basically I guess I would just like to hear about your bond with your bun…or if its the opposite.

I’m at a loss here. What do you think?

• Minty
        Participant
        338 posts Send Private Message

This is a very well written article that I think will help answer your questions! 

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/like-a-rabbit.html

• Monkeybun
          Participant
          10479 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies are very interactive with me. The problem with your friend’s bunnies is that they were on the porch, in an area not frequented by the family. It’s best to have bunnies indoors, mine for example have taken over the dining room. PLUS they have nightly run time throughout the living room, kitchen, dining and hall ways. You interact more with them when you are around them more often. PLUS, it’s safer for them indoors.. don’t have to worry about animal attacks.

My boy bun, Moose, regularly sits with my hubby and they play “Toss Daddy’s Fingers” and tug of war with an old shirt we gave Moosie to play with. He’s quite fun

Monkey is more reserved, as she doesn’t like being touched, but she does like being around us. If we don’t try to pet her, she is happy to climb all over us and play with my hair

• bunnytowne
            Participant
            7537 posts Send Private Message

Minty I get a blank page not able to get the site of your link.

Cotton comes out and hangs with me some nites more than others.  He likes to be petted while he sits atop his house.

When I go in the bedroom Ruby will run up to me.  I can sit n pet her she loves it.  When I lie on the floor with her she bumps me all over sometimes tugs on my clothes jumps on me  jumps down.  When I start petting her she settles down.

I can hold her at nite for pettings.  She is used to that.  Loves to be petted they both do.  They aren’t bonded and live seperately.

• Minty
              Participant

Hm that is strange. I will copy and paste it since I can’t seem to figure out how to link it. I know the first part seems kind of harsh but the underlying message is what is important.

What Are Rabbits Really Like?
                Elizabeth TeSelle

People who haven’t lived with rabbits often ask those who do if rabbits make “good pets,” and if so, if they are more like dogs or cats. Most house rabbit people don’t quite know how to respond to these questions, not only because we have transcended such mundane matters in our own relationships with rabbits, but also because the chauvinistic nature of the questions themselves makes us feel uncomfortable.
                It seems that for most people, an animal is perceived as a “good pet” if she shows affection in ways human beings can understand without much effort (e.g., lapsitting or coming when called), if she participates in games humans easily comprehend (“catch,” “fetch,” or “chase the string”), or if she makes an obvious effort to communicate vocally (barking to be let in or out, mewing for supper). People usually seem fairly sure these qualities cannot be expected in a rabbit, and hence, that rabbits would not make “good pets.” Alternatively, some people expect such traits in all rabbits and may be disappointed in one who is unwilling or unable to comply with their expectations.

The second question, “Are rabbits more like cats or dogs?” is a natural to follow the first. My usual response is, “Are people more like fish or cockatoos?” After all, rabbits are, first and foremost, like rabbits, and the only way to find out what they are like is to live with one or more. You’ll find that rabbits share a few characteristics with dogs, a few with cats, and a few with humans. They probably even share a few with fish and cockatoos. But mostly they’re like rabbits, and learning what rabbits are like is part of the joy of living with them. The fact that this question, like the “good pets” one, is asked at all makes clear the human position that in order to be considered of value in our world, other species must conform to our notions of what is “good.”

The other day I sat on the bedroom floor .returning phone calls. Megan, our overweight and very aggressive New Zealand (who, paradoxically, adores being petted), gallumphed up, grabbed the notebook out of my hand, bit a hole out of the corner, and stomped on it. She lunged at my hand as I retrieved the notebook, grazing it with her teeth, then shoved my leg and settled down against me. I grinned at her and stroked her head (as I had just been commanded to do). The caller was telling me about her rabbit, who wouldn’t let her pick him up, who lunged and bit when approached, and who seemed to “hate” the family. The family dog, on the other hand, loved the children and played with them all the time; they were disappointed in the rabbit and wanted me to find him a new home.

I looked at Megan, her head pressed to the floor, eyes closed, ears relaxed, fat body spread out behind her. No, she doesn’t act like a dog. If a dog lunged and bit you’d be justified in getting worried, because human-canine relations are completely different from those between humans and rabbits. But Megan and the caller’s rabbit both act very much like rabbits, each in their own ways. The difference, I realized, is that I accept Megan’s aggression (and even revel in it!), while the caller seemed to resent her rabbit because his behavior did not conform to her idea of “a good pet.”

The implication that some animals (usually dogs and cats) are simply “better pets” than others rests on the assumption that in order to fit into our lives, all animals should resemble those to whom we are already accustomed. Such an assumption removes the responsibility for the relationship from the human being and places it solely on the animal. Although the rabbit is expected to comply with human expectations, all too often the human being never even considers complying with hers. But in almost every case, a wonderful new relationship is forged when you begin complying with the expectations of a rabbit. Megan accosts me and I react in a way she finds appropriate, even though to me it seems odd at first. After a few weeks, Megan trusts me, likes me, and has me pegged as savvyÑbut she still nips my foot if I venture too near her parsley!

Do we expect too much or not enough? I hesitate to tell people not to expect their rabbits to jump up on their legs, leap into their laps, or lick their hands, because some rabbits do these things. But too many people expect such behaviors and express disappointment when their rabbits do not comply. None of the rabbits I live with currently do any of these dog-like things, but over the years I have discovered a range of interesting activities they engage in that the dogs and cats in our family never even thought about. Megan may not jump into my lap, and she’s more likely to bite my hand than lick it, but she terrorizes the cats daily, manages to growl in annoyance while simultaneously cavorting with joy across the floor, and makes demands more effectively than any of our noisier critters.

No small part of the problem lies in our use of the term “pet.” After all, a pet is “one who is petted,” implying passivity and ownership. We seldom call other human beings “pets,” and most people would consider it an insult if we did. By using the term to describe animals we are diminishing their importance in our lives. We are denying their right to individuality and a lifestyle that may or may not include allowing us to fawn over them. On the other hand, a rabbit who is a companion is one whoÑlike our human friendsÑis encouraged to develop the personality nature gave her and is appreciated for who she is.

So what should we say when people ask if rabbits are “good pets”? I don’t want to assure folks that they are, because I know the implications of the phrase. On the other hand, if I hesitate and explain, they’ll think I’m making excuses. They may be unable to see what is special about rabbits. Perhaps those of us who know, through experience, what rabbits are like should decline to answer these questions at all. Instead explain that rabbits make wonderful, exciting, intelligent companions for wonderful, exciting, intelligent people. After all, living up to the expectations of a rabbit like MeganÑor Trixie or Phoebe or BanditÑ takes a lot of work! Their type of person is adventurous, charmed by evidence of spunk and vigor, and willing to learn a new language, a new lifestyle, and a new code of behavior. Those who live by stereotyping, pigeon-holing, or typecasting need not apply.

• Nat
                Participant

Wow…haha thanks everyone! Very helpful. I guess I just gotta find the rabbit for me!

• Elrohwen
                  Participant
                  7318 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits are both interactive! Having them inside makes all the difference.

Otto is a bit reserved, and laid back, so he does tend to just sit around and not do much. But I love just sitting with him while he’s flopped out in the living room.

Hannah is far more active and is always up to something. One of my friends calls her the “cooler rabbit” because she’s always doing something interesting or funny.

So it depends on the bun! I’ll admit I prefer the laid back types, they’re just so easy, but they are less interactive and more lazy than the very active buns sometimes.

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

Have you considered getting a dog later on down the road? You are almost guaranteed more of the interaction you’ll want. What has drawn you to a rabbit as a pet?

• Minty
                      Participant

I agree with Beka, If you are looking for a pet that is highly interactive then consider a dog. I know almost everyone here will say their bunnies are interactive, but to be honest (at least for me) it took me awhile to learn ‘bunny language’ and to people who don’t spend time with bunnies it can appear that they aren’t affectionate or interactive. It is highly variable on the bunny’s personality and it is always hard to tell when just meeting a bunny for the first time what his/her personality is truly like before taking them home. I think if there is a chance that you wouldn’t enjoy the bunny or would possibly rehome him/her because they weren’t what you were expecting, that you should volunteer at a shelter to see if they are really the right fit for you.

• Beka27
                        Participant

Bunnies are very interactive, but it’s on their terms. In my experience, dogs are “ready-to-go” whenever you are. Buns have a more limited opening of when they want to play, and it doesn’t always coincide with when we can indulge them. They are more like cats in that regard. It’s much harder to play with and bond with a bunny than it is a dog. For rabbit people, this isn’t an issue, b/c we’re willing to make the sacrifices and take the time. But when bunnies are acquired without knowing all the ins and outs, new owners can be easily disappointed.

Stick around on the board and you’ll hear about our guys and gals and learn what rabbit life entails.

• Sarita
                          Participant
                          18851 posts Send Private Message

That’s a great article Minty!

Definitely that person who kept their rabbit outside in a hutch is not going to get any interaction there and it’s sad that they passed due to animal bites – you have to imagine that living in fear like that will make you more fearful than interactive.

My rabbits are react differently to me – some are more social and some are not and that’s just fine with me. I have a Dutch pair that are very gentle but they just don’t like to be touched or interact with me – that’s fine, they have each other and I’m glad for that. I think people have the wrong expectation of what rabbits should be like and don’t always let their rabbits be rabbits.

My free roamer Pepe is aggressive but also loves to be petted and lays next to me on the bed – I of course have to accommodate him and he can be a bit of a pest too. But he also acts aggressive and swats and bites me so I have to change my behavior to be with him, since he cannot change. I’ve just come to be the better person and accept that he has some fear aggression.

• Deleted User
                            Participant
                            22064 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Beka27 on 06/08/2010 09:30 AM
                              dogs are “ready-to-go” whenever you are.

I have three rabbits in my group of four who are  interactive. The kind that will rip a bag out of your hand and run away with it. Then out of two dogs I have, one does everything on her terms, including going for walks. It all depends, but dogs are more people-oriented as a species for sure.

• Elrohwen
                              Participant

I agree with what Minty said. A lot of rabbit people will say that their bunnies are interactive, but to an outsider, they don’t necessarily appear that way. When most people meet Otto for the first time, they think he’s pretty boring. He stays away from strangers, isn’t big on being petted, and can spend a lot of time sleeping or staring into space, etc. My parents weren’t sure what we saw in him at first, but when we took Otto to their house for a week, and he came out of his shell, they realized how great he is. Most bunnies will never be as interactive as a dog, or even some cats, but the more time you spend with them, the more time you appreciate the personalities they have. It’s hard to appreciate most rabbits unless you own them and live with them – being a stranger in their house will probably make them keep to themselves and out of your way.

As I said above, our second rabbit is much more active and while she’s nervous around new people, they get a kick out of watching her. Hence her nickname of “the fun rabbit” or “the cool rabbit”.

• bunnnnnnie!
                                Participant
                                1491 posts Send Private Message

I think it depends on the individual rabbit.  I hear all these stories on here of rabbits nipping and lunging for attention, or being aloof and only wanting attention on their terms, etc, and that’s totally foreign to me.  Zeus is my first bunny, and I think I kind of hit the jackpot on him personality-wise (especially because I agreed to take him sight unseen… &#160.

He follows me around like a dog, loves to be petted but his “demand” for attention is resting his head on the ground and looking up at me, or squishing his head under my hand.  He always seems up for attention, and loves to sit next to me while I watch TV or surf the web.  So I’d consider him a very interactive bun.

• Deleted User
                                  Participant

Posted By Nat on 06/07/2010 06:25 PM

I tend to take care of animals better when they love me back. Basically I guess I would just like to hear about your bond with your bun…or if its the opposite.

Rabbits do love you back. They sleep much of the day, though, and this might be too why some people think they are boring. Rabbits don’t enjoy being cuddled or picked up, so if you want an animal to love in those ways — a rabbit wouldn’t be the right choice.  I mostly watch my rabbits, at the end of the day. That’s probably my favorite thing about them, watching them binky or flop.

• 4Lily
                                    Participant
                                    193 posts Send Private Message

LOL! Are rabbits good pets, I would tell you that I have a cat a gineapig and a rabbit, a dog at my parents, I PREFER MY RABBIT! After my cat goes, hopefully not for a very long time, he`ll be my last cat that I`d ever have. The gineapig, after her, no more! I would have anouther dog, but could live without! A RABIT I WOULD NEVER EVER LIVE WITHOUT! They are more like a person, individually different, sweet yet attitudes! Can`t even explain it! They are very entertaining, very hard work, and I love them! They binky & do bunny 500`s & flop, LOL! So entertaining & when they want petted, u best be petting them, or not if they don`t like being tuched, LOL! THEY ARE SO INDIVIDUAL!

• Minty
                                      Participant

lol, I like watching my buns at the end of the day too. Just open the pens and sit to watch the antics begin!

• Sarita
                                        Participant

As far as an animal loving you back – love is a human emotion, so it’s best not to give emotions to animals. I don’t think dogs or cats actually react to humans with love – it’s more need. They need you to take care of them.

• Deleted User
                                          Participant

hmmm…. dogs don’t love back? Sarita, you are officially invited to my house! You will be smothered with love. I can hear you saying, “yeah, right, stupid dogs just want things and have Petzy fooled…” but you just come to my house and get some real dog love!

• Sarita
                                            Participant

Well, as long as they don’t give me any sloppy dog licks, because I sure don’t love those :~) But, you know, they are just wanting one of those big Flintstone dog bones you give them – that’s what they are really loving!

• 4Lily
                                              Participant

Animals do love!  I agree about cats being needy, but I think it’s their form of love of affection & attention. When I walk in my house all of the animals come running, not for needing anything, but they are happy to see me!  Lily starts binkying, Boo’s jumps on the counter for his hugs and kisses. At night after all are fed & it’s relax time both Lily & Boo’s comes for cuddle & petting time! 

The day I picked up Lily from the vets after the neuter, the vet tech handed Lily to me & Lily started kissing me like crazy, they couldn’t believe it! That’s love!

• 4Lily
                                                Participant

& my dog at my parents, she hears my car pull in the driveway, she starts crying & wining, so happy to see me! That’s love!

• Deleted User
                                                  Participant

Posted By Sarita on 06/08/2010 02:02 PM
                                                    Well, as long as they don’t give me any sloppy dog licks, because I sure don’t love those :~) But, you know, they are just wanting one of those big Flintstone dog bones you give them – that’s what they are really loving!

OK. you win. I have bribed them to love me with bones and fun games. But is that not what love is all about?j/k

• 4Lily
                                                    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong, love from an animal is pure! No matter how someone treats them they would still give unconditional love to there parents! A dog would die to protect there parents! That’s pure & unconditional love! Or what true love is!

• 4Lily
                                                      Participant

LOL! That kind of comment gets me going! LOL! I could go on & on! LOL!

• Deleted User
                                                        Participant

Lily, I agree with you. There is a bond between animals and humans but it depends. I see Sarita’s point about the animals knowing that we provide for them so they are attached to us for that. But there are some individual animals who really bond to their human very strongly, and act lovingly. I am not clear on what love is anyways so I think I just mean companionship, that’s it.

• 4Lily
                                                          Participant

I agree, love can mean companionship too! But LOVE is also a feeling, saying animals don’t love, is saying animals don’t have feelings & anyone who has a bunny knows that they have feelings, because when we offend them or hurt their feelings they turn their back to us! If we yell at a pet when they are bad, they get sad! You can see it right in their eyes! I can “feel” what my animals are “feeling”! Yes they do need us, but that’s not what love is! I needed my parents, but that’s not why I love them! LOVE is so much more than I can even describe!

• 4Lily
                                                            Participant

I hope you will get the chance to really feel, or know what love is!

• Deleted User
                                                              Participant

Nowhere did I say that animals don’t have feelings. I was joking about the bribes of bones.

• leyley904
                                                                Participant
                                                                236 posts Send Private Message

Some movie came out recently based on a true story of a dog who went to meet his owner in town everyday after work, and continued to do so after the man passed. I started bawling during the short preview that came before another movie. Let’s just say that it ruined the whole movie for me
                                                                  I saw it in the video store the other day and almost teared up just seeing the cover!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachiko:_A_Dog%27s_Story
                                                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaS37E3gKOU

Aw, no, no, no…. *sniffle*

This is the dog it is based on. Oh gosh, I can’t read it!!! :
                                                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

Sorry, this is really random. But reading about animals loving and stuff made me think of it.

• Deleted User
                                                                  Participant

I know this story. It is heart wrenching. It is a fact that Akitas are one of the most loyal breeds. I had one and she was like my shadow.

• Nat
                                                                    Participant

Guys, I can’t thank you enough. With all my friends rabbits (and the bun Scooter at my daycare YEARS ago) I guess just really didn’t know me.

OMG. My dog PURELY loves <333 us. For no reason at all, she will bow her head and press it against our chest, like a hug or a nuzzle. And she doesn't want anything, yet it happens at least five times a day. Trust me, dogs love. haha.

• Nat
                                                                      Participant

Quote to Beka’s Q: What brings you  to want a bunny? (or somethin like that…heh)

At first I just wanted to explore the species. When I was little, I had these pet phases where I would become fixed on this one pet and become totally OCD about them, so to speak. Research, beg parents, the whole deal. I was spoiled and ended up gettin em…every one but the rabbit. So now I guess I’m checkin em out again, but I am more mature now and reality is setting in. Our house to too small and dangerous for a bunny, so it will have to wait a few years until I move out.

Now even though I can’t get one for a while, I know, why torture myself and not do anything bunny-related? That’s mainly why I joined this forum, to just chat about buns and plans for the future. And boy,  you guys have helped me decide that I really want a bunny!

• RabbitPam
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        11002 posts Send Private Message

Just to add 2 cents: I was a visitor to this website for almost a year after my first bunny died and before I got my second one, so it is a great place to hang out and keep up with all things bunny. I actually would have loved to find it before he died, but did so about a month after. But with a bunny in my life for 8 years, it was a great outlet for my stories and experiences that interested people like me. So please stay with us and learn all you can and share your insights.

• 4Lily
                                                                          Participant

Posted By Petzy on 06/08/2010 02:42 PM
                                                                            Nowhere did I say that animals don’t have feelings. I was joking about the bribes of bones.

I know u didn’t! I was just saying that LOVE could be a feeling, as well as companionship!  About bribes for bones, LOL, I know bones are considered treats, & who doesn’t give their dogs treats, not just dogs but cats and bunnies! HEHE! 

• Beka27
                                                                            Participant

Absolutely stay on BB as much as you can before you’re ready for a rabbit. There are so many intricate details regarding care, and diet, and health. The more you learn now, the better prepared you’d be. When the time is right, I’d recommend you adopt an adult, altered rabbit from a rescue. You get to see their true personality and you can figure out if that bun would be the right match for you. Getting a baby is a crap shoot.

You sound like me! I also had several different pets growing up. My favorite thing to do in the world was check out petstores and read petcare books from the library. I wanted to be an expert on every subject. (This greatly explains my BB addiction!)

• Elrohwen
                                                                              Participant

Beka, I’m the same. I have a ton of random facts floating through my head, because I love to read about anything and everything. As a kid, I couldn’t get enough of reading about animals and I can still rock the animal categories on Jeopardy 😉

• Beka27
                                                                                Participant

What’s the saying? “Jack of all trades… master of none?”

Nothing I know really amounts to anything, they’re all just random bits of info that don’t quite fit together… lol.

• Elrohwen
                                                                                  Participant

Haha, same here! I’m great at trivia games, but horrible at remembering things that actually matter. Oh well!

• Nat
                                                                                    Participant

Haha

Yes, Beka, I will stay here! Heehee. I think I’m OCD…about planning ahead. Maybe I’ll live in a dorm at first and they prob. won’t allow pets and yada yada yada…

But for now I will learn – but MOSTLY look a all the ****cute**** bunnies you guys have and boil up with envy.

• RabbitPam
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      11002 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Beka27 on 06/09/2010 01:21 PM
                                                                                        What’s the saying? “Jack of all trades… master of none?”

Nothing I know really amounts to anything, they’re all just random bits of info that don’t quite fit together… lol.

That’s called a dillentante. I know, cause I am one.

• LoveChaCha
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                        6634 posts Send Private Message

The more I interact with my bunny, the more loving she has become

I remember when I first got her, she was 8 weeks old, scared and didn’t want to be touched.

Now she is almost 7 months old and spayed, she is an independant girl, but will give kisses galore if I put my head down next to her. She likes to play on her own. Sometimes she’ll nibble my clothes or sniff stuff that I am doing (reading, typing on my laptop, etc).

Going to a shelter is nice, I hear. You get to interact with the bunnies before choosing which you would like.

Viewing 41 reply threads
                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Not sure what to title…maybe..what do you do with your bunnies? Are they interactive with you?