Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums THE LOUNGE June Pics

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Q8bunny
    Participant

Only bunny parents… LOL

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Posted By Q8bunny on 6/21/2016 10:57 PM

What are you guys feeding your weeds?!! LOL

My weeds are thoroughly spoilt, getting a tasty diet of 4 different varieties of bunny poops, and two different varieties of piggy poops 

Bam

I think a lot of the energy goes into the stalk or rather the bud/flower/seeds. It’s true for grasses, once they’ve gone into seed, the grass isn’t at all as nutritious any longer. You can choose to harvest hay 2 or 3 times per season (in some climates 4 times) if you harvest 3 times you get richer hay but a smaller yield and vice versa. I recently read about that because, well, I am a bunny owner and thus obsessed with foraging =D

So Vienna and GJ, are you excited about the vote tomorrow? I’m quite excited and I’m not even voting (obviously). It really feels quite fateful (if that’s the word I’m looking for).

Just spent 15 mins on the roundabout, avoiding the cars as they zoomed around… and filled a bin bag !! (OK a small bin, but even so….) !

Does anyone know what the “horseshose” plant (with a so-called horseshoe shaped leaf) is….? It was in the bunny foraging speech at the Pet Show and apparently it’s everywhere…. apparently.

And Ireland’s through !! YAY – Lille will be rocking with Leprachauns tonight !!!!

Bam

Is it tussilago farfara you mean? Yellow flowers no leaves in early spring, often along roads and/or on sandy ground, big horse-shoe shaped leaves and no flowers in the summer?

leaves, how they look this time of year:  tussi 

flowers in early spring: tussilago flowers

Oh goodness knows bam ! That is indeed horsehoe-y shaped (thanks to Google!).
    I do remember now her saying something like they’re fine for buns before the flowers come, but as soon as the flowers arrive (or just after?) they release some sort of toxin (or other) so not good for buns… Actually, that’s probably why I sort of deleted it from my memory !

I’ve brought some brambles back with me tonight – but she’s not impressed !!

Bam

It would be some other flower then because with tussilago, the flowers come first. I remember you said dock leaves were fine befor the flowers came, right after you’d been ato the pet show. The toxin would then be oxalic acid.

I think tussilago leaves are non-toxic but I haven’t tried them on the buns. But you can make cough med for humans from them if you make an infusion with alcohol (havent tried that either I’m afraid).

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Any thoughts on thistles for rabbits? Some sites list them as safe, but I’d be worried about a spiky bit getting stuck in a buns mouth, so although I have quite a few that keep growing back every time I remove them, so far haven’t risked trying them as food.

Bam

I’ve tried thistles. They won’t eat the really thorny ones but there is a type they really like, it has white milk sap and somewhat fleshy, dark green leaves and only a little bit of not-so-sharp thornes. I don’t know what it’s called but maybe I can take a pic tomorrow.

MK
    Participant

Wow! Impressive amount of dandelions. I live in Colorado, and I immediately thought it was something else….but I’m glad it’s dandelions! Lol!

MK
    Participant

Trying out my new camera on my baby and his fuzzy noseA cute little baby cottontail helping himself to a flower near the coffee shop I went to this morning

Everyone’s bunnies and babies are just the CUTEST!! 

Q8bunny
    Participant

I totally just rubbed Coco’s scrumptious nose on my iPad.

Bam: I wonder if tussilago was named for its medicinal uses? Isn’t tussere Latin for cough, or am I hallucinating due to the heatwave?

Vienna: Lucky girl, being in the thick of it. Spain’s stuck playing Italy, much to the former’s chagrin, so I’m a nervous wreck – I hate the elimination phase. I’m also quite on pins and needles about the referendum. I love spending time in the UK and having an EU passport made it so much easier. But I also understand their reasons for wanting to pull out. If I could vote, I think I’d be quite torn.

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Posted By bam on 6/22/2016 6:04 PM

I’ve tried thistles. They won’t eat the really thorny ones but there is a type they really like, it has white milk sap and somewhat fleshy, dark green leaves and only a little bit of not-so-sharp thornes. I don’t know what it’s called but maybe I can take a pic tomorrow.

We have both types, and yes the not-so-sharp type are fine, its the sharp ones I’m wary of, and of course, they are the type we have most of!

Maybe I could use nail clippers to clip the really sharp ends? Or is that taking things too far?

As far as the vote goes, yes an exciting day, but a bit eclipsed in our house, as my youngest has a two hour biology exam, followed by a three hour Cambridge maths exam, STEP 3, which he has to get one of the top 2 grades on to secure his place at Cambridge, followed by his final chess tournament of the year (Chess year ends 30th Jun). Its all go around here today!

Coco is gorgeous

Bam

MK, squeeee!!!! Coco’s nose ! And that baby cottontail!

Q8, the name tussilago is derived from tussere. I ought to pick some leaves and make cough med for the long winter to come.
    G.J, thistles are really tough to get rid of, they have long horizontal roots deep in the ground =( Love the nail-clipper idea though. That’s taking foraging for bunpigs to a whole new level. I can see how the vote is kind of over-shadowed by what’s going on in your family. Yay for your (human) boys!!!

Q8bunny
    Participant

GJ: May the Force be with your amazing son, and noserubs to the awesome foursome, and wheekwheeks to the piggies.

Cut off sharp ends??!!! LOL – Zou eats rose thorns… not sure you can get sharper than those – and i’m not sure rabbits have nail clippers when they’re out in the fields… lol
    That nose does ask to be rubbed – lovely pic ! Lovely lighting – I still can’t get my dark bun like that in a photo – or maybe I’m on the wrong F-stop….

My goodnes Gina – he’ll sleep well tonight !!!

Bam

My buns eat bramble leaves that are very thorny, so the thorns might not be the problem. It could be that they don’t like the taste =)

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Latte dived into some fresh hay last year, a little too enthusiastically, and scratched his eye on something sharp. It was only a tiny scratch, but the eye gradually clouded over and I’m pretty sure he is now blind in that eye. I know its not possible to check every handful of hay, but I felt awful at the time, and it has left me over cautious of anything nasty and scratchy, and I don’t want any bun or pig with an injured mouth…

I think it will take my youngest a long time to wind down tonight!

Of course Gina, but the rabbit lady said they have tough (yet gentle ?!) mouths and they are quite used to avoiding the thorns on brambles and suchlike in the wild… agreably I only give individual twigs of roses (or else she helps herself to one that’s been happily in place for 10 years!!!) rather than a pile…

And you shouldn’t feel guilty – Latte dived into the pile – you didn’t throw her…… did youuuuuuuu ?

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Him! And he still does it, every time he gets fresh hay, which is every other day.

noodlebeer
    Participant

Thought I’d share this recent pic of my boy Gus – I leave that stool in the middle of the kitchen for him as he likes to sit on it and watch while I cook/prepare his greens :3  He likes to be tall!

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Lovely pic, my buns like to be up high and nosey too

My youngest drew his chess match, to win the tournament, not too bad, given it was straight after two exams

LittlePuffyTail

Gus is so cute! And not spoiled at all…

noodlebeer
    Participant

My rabbit? Spoiled? Never!  

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.