Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums THE LOUNGE June Chat

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Azerane

I’m so glad you had an amazing Father’s day It’s easy to take parents for granted, even if we don’t intend to, words like that are things we need to remember to say to anybody we appreciate more often.

Not much going on around here. Hubby and I saw Solo on the weekend. I surprised myself and really enjoyed it. Every time I watched a trailer all I could think of was “that’s not Han Solo” over and over. But when you get into the movie I was distracted from the actor himself to the story and character as a whole. I think it worked.

Wow, that’s such a beautiful thing to hear Bladesmith ^_^ Isn’t it odd how little we tell the people around us how much we appreciate them? It must feel so wonderful to finally get that acknowledgement

Q8bunny
    Participant

Hi everyone! ?
    There’s no WAY I can catch up after months of no BB access, but I just wanted to say that I’ve missed you guys and that I’m glad to be back on the forum.

Chewie and I are loving being out of the sandpit (especially in the summer… even if a heatwave just hit, it’s still nowhere near Kuwait’s weather).
    The little wookie is spreading joy in daily doses, and I’m slowly adjusting to the new time zone and unpacking… no plans yet, except finishing my next novel. Mostly just immensely relieved to retire… lol

Saw Solo and (shocking!) really enjoyed it. Am sad that Chewbacca couldn’t go with me, though. Canadian cinemas aren’t so easy to sneak bunnies into as Kuwaiti ones. ?

Will try to pop in regularly now… although I still get so distracted by random repatriation things. ?

May the Force be with you and your buns! ??

Hi! I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you again! Really, it would get weird… Looking forward to hearing from you and the furmonster again ^_^

Q8bunny
    Participant

<3 <3 <3

Daisy
    Participant

Packing for my trip to Barcelona tomorrow (if the Airport people there decide not to rebel and strike there :’) ). Ugh, I always hate the day before leaving, it makes me go “what the $*&! am I doing to myself?!” XD

Especially now that I have buns again. In the past whenever I left home the buns would stay home and somebody would come care for them. This time I’m moving them to my parents house today. Poor things are going to be confused as $*&!. Oh well, I’m bringing their own pen and all their stuff so I hope they feel home soon. And I sure as hell hope Muffin doesn’t escape there. After months of behaving she decided to escape again this night. I swear one day I’ll glue her to the ground, haha. I just finished a “please don’t kill my bunnies” caregiver list and am trying to think of things to add to there that I forgot.

Have an awesome vacation! I’m sure your parents will appreciate their cute new house guests, just hoping that the furmonsters will be on their best behaviour ^_^

After much scepticism from Bas I have Breintje on his new pellets now, and he enjoys them just as much as the old ones. Bas said that he had tried other brands but that Breintje was always fussy. I did NOT like the old pellets because they contain a lot of cereals and are high-calorie. That isn’t good for Breintjes digestive system and weight (oh, and my coeliac disease…). We stored his pellets in a tin, and whenever I poured the pellets from the bag into the tin I always had to cover my face with a wet rag or risk a day of stomach cramps. Aside from my allergy risks we constantly had to monitor Breintjes weight. If he had slightly too many pellets, he’d need to go on a diet again with all the accompanying diet grumpiness.

His new pellets are timothy-based with 25% fibre and cereal-free! So I can have bunny kisses whenever I want, and won’t have to wash my hands after feeding him ^_^ Okay, the pellets are more expensive, but how much pellets does an ND really eat? 30 grams a day or so… This new bag costs €6 and will last him a whole month. I’m hoping for better poops and fewer tummy upsets for the both of us.

MoxieMeadows
    Participant

I had a little cold and then it turned into a full blow sinus and ear infection. Blehhhh I just need to get better! Lol

Dface
    Participant

Welcome back to the forum Q8!!

Ellie-Glad to hear he’s being cooperative with the new pellets, I remember moving mine to fibafirst and they gave me nothing but sass for about a month, bur with two looong coats I figured the extra fiber trumped the angry faces!!
    A better diet and more bunny kisses is 100% worth the extra money.

My pair recently had a dig shed made for them, they are in their absolute element with it! I planted it with rabbit safe plants, but most of them have already been eaten or uprooted…oh well!
    It’s so handy when Im working nights- I can just move them to their outside room and get a full days sleep, and then bring them back in in the evening.
    Although it does mean that Peeps gorgeous white coat is ruined with mud and grass stains now !

I need to get them a new carrier as we are all heading up to my boyfriends for 2 weeks in July. I cannot wait for the break from work..its slowly driving me insane-someone actually stole my book from here
    (right when it was getting good!-granted I think the idea of a mystery book disappearing does add to the appeal of it )

But their current carrier is too small-but im not sure what the best option would be for them, seeing as Yumi just sits on Peep to create a double decker rabbit every.single.trip. Its like the weirdest game of the carrier is lava.

Daisy
    Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/23/2018 6:41 PM

Have an awesome vacation! I’m sure your parents will appreciate their cute new house guests, just hoping that the furmonsters will be on their best behaviour ^_^

After much scepticism from Bas I have Breintje on his new pellets now, and he enjoys them just as much as the old ones. Bas said that he had tried other brands but that Breintje was always fussy. I did NOT like the old pellets because they contain a lot of cereals and are high-calorie. That isn’t good for Breintjes digestive system and weight (oh, and my coeliac disease…). We stored his pellets in a tin, and whenever I poured the pellets from the bag into the tin I always had to cover my face with a wet rag or risk a day of stomach cramps. Aside from my allergy risks we constantly had to monitor Breintjes weight. If he had slightly too many pellets, he’d need to go on a diet again with all the accompanying diet grumpiness.

His new pellets are timothy-based with 25% fibre and cereal-free! So I can have bunny kisses whenever I want, and won’t have to wash my hands after feeding him ^_^ Okay, the pellets are more expensive, but how much pellets does an ND really eat? 30 grams a day or so… This new bag costs €6 and will last him a whole month. I’m hoping for better poops and fewer tummy upsets for the both of us.

Well I’m not so sure about that. They spent the night there and my dad apped me saying they escaped. Knowing my dad and my buns I can’t tell if he’s joking or not. 

Oh how great! Which brand did you switch to? I’m heavily pondering about switching my buns over from Supreme Science Selective to Beaphar Nature which is grainfree as well.

Dface, The carrier is lava – that’s the most hilarious thing I’ve heard all day. :’D Even when there is a towel or something soft in it? Maybe they’re both refusing to sit by the door or something.

@Dface: That dig shed sounds amazing! How much Breintje would give for a shed full of dandelions… (all to be uprooted within the day, and him being sulky about the lack of nommies…). Your work sounds awful, and who on earth would steal a book? Hope you’ll get it back soon!
    I still have to giggle about the doubledecker bunny, you have a pair of crazy bunsters

@Daisy: woops! I hope he’s joking! Oh my, joking dads and buns… Breintje doesn’t appreciate it when my dad is trying to be a funny guy when he visits. He doesn’t know rabbit behaviour and tries to play with him like a dog. Trying to play fetch by throwing his toys and making noises to make him playful, he doesn’t understand that rabbits find that very offensive. It usually ends in Breintje giving him the butt for the rest of the evening.

I switched to Terra Expert Timothy Rabbit from Vadigran, it seems that retailers sell it at different prices online. At bol.com (our Amazon for the non-Dutchies) I see prices up from €8 a bag, but I bought 900g for €6 at a local pet shop. The protein content is a bit higher than usually advised (15,7% vs 12-14%), but the rest of the nutritional values are awesome! (25% fibre!) http://www.terra-vadigran.com/en/produits/terra-expert-all-in-one-rabbit/

Breintje wasn’t eating enough hay again, and producing smaller poops by the day. With a LARP weekend in sight (Bas and nearly all my friends being unavailable for 4 days) I wasn’t looking forward to tummy troubles or sudden vet visits. Hoping for big round poops!

Q8bunny
    Participant

Daisy: Safe travels! By the time you return, the buns will probably cry to stay on with grandma and grandpa

Dface: Cheers!

Ellie: I don’t know why ANY bunny foods have grains in them. Buns aren’t chickens.

Daisy
    Participant

Q8Bunny, it’s a cheap way to fatten up rabbits for meat. So it’s a thing from the past as far as I’m concerned, really. I’m kinda hoping the grain free trend pulls through and it becomes easier to get and more mainstream, but until then there are a few good options I think. Currently leaning towards Beaphar Nature because it seems to have more herbs but Terra seems quite interesting should the buns hate Beaphar, Ellie! I’ll remember that.

Turns out my dad wasn’t joking. I didn’t secure the pen enough so the bunnies shove the pen open and went on a full rampage tour through my old bed room. My mom opened the door next morning and they hopped right past her legs into the other rooms. Oops! :’) I sealed that thing with 1000 tie wraps now so good luck escaping again buns!

Q8bunny
    Participant

The Amazing Houdini Zucchini Bunny Duo!

Yes, I’m hoping for more high quality bunny food and more challenging toys. Sometimes you look at items in pet shops and think: dear producers have you ever SEEN a bunny? Do you know how their digestive system works? Do you have any idea how clever they are?? This “puzzle” can be solved by throwing the whole thing on its side, which is the first thing he’ll try. End of entertainment…
    I have to keep in mind that it’s a pretty new “trend” to keep bunnies as real house pets. Many rabbits are still kept in conditions that you’d keep a meat rabbit in, because it’s been done like that for ages. Luckily for the bunsters, and to the delight of new owners, more and more people are seeing how awesome they are to have around. (Except when all that cleverness makes them chronic escapees )

Bladesmith
    Participant

@Daisy: I can easily imagine the scene with the escaping bunnies! And with them laughing their heads off as they bolt through the open door. Accompanied by the Benny Hill theme as they make their escape.

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

Popped into Lidl to shop, they had baby carrots with tops on and ruby romaine lettuce, whuich I’ve never seen before but I assume are bun safe and look bunnilicious. The buns each got a baby carrot with the tops left on as a very rare treat and scoffed them down with immense enthusiam. They can give verdict on the ruby romaine later, they like normal romaine anyway so this should just give variety. With a UK heat-wave, nothing is growing in the garden.

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

I’ve not really looked into grain free food before, thanks for the awareness Ellie. I’ll have a look into grain free options and talk to the vet when I take Atlas in for his second vaccination.

Gina – I’ll have to keep an eye out for Ruby romaine in Lidl. Last time they had carrots with tops in Lidl I enthusiastically bought them, only to have buns turn their noses up…

It was my birthday at the weekend and I got an ice cream maker, which is PERFECT for this heatwave. I just need to decide what flavour to make first

Happy belated bday S&L !!!!!!!! Cracking weather for a bday!!!! And ooooo ice cream maker…..
    GJ. Lucky buns. Mini carrots must be even sweeter. Yuuum.

I think British BB members are outnumbering USA ones at the moment!!! Great stuff !!!!

Gordo and Janice
    Participant

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 6/26/2018 1:02 PM

I think British BB members are outnumbering USA ones at the moment!!! Great stuff !!!!

Wait!….What the?!……..

@Bladesmith: hahaha, oh my, you know how to make a picture thinker giggle all day ^_^

@G.J: Yum, that sounds tasty! Romaine is a favourite here too, and it keeps so well in the fridge.

@S&L: Happy (belated) birthday! That’s such a unique gift, I hope you’ll have a lot of fun with it I made yoghurt ice cream with forest fruits last week. Bought a large pack of frozen mixed forest fruit (which is very cheap compared to the fresh stuff). I put it all in a blender, added the yoghurt, and only needed a small bit of sugar. It came out surprisingly sweet because of the fruit, and the texture is like sorbet but a bit more creamy because of the yoghurt.

On a side note: the food is a really big hit! It’s definitely more filling, so he has fewer hunger pangs & grumpy moments. At times he used to “vacuum” the carpet looking for food everywhere, and he was trying to bite the carpet. That has stopped
    The downside is that I’m seeing fewer binkies when I bring him his evening bunny salad. He used to go bonkers when he heard the fridge drawer open. Now he’s definitely interested, but not so mad that he’s trying to jump onto the plate while you’re setting it down. I hope that he’ll stay hungry for treats though, because that’s the way I put him in his hutch for the night. Yesterday he refused to go in, even though I rattled the bag and waved the treat in full view. “Nah, I’m full, but thanks anyway!”

He’s suddenly sooo soft btw! It must be some oil or a certain protein in the food I’m guessing. He’s looking good and pooping even better!

Gina.Jenny
    Participant

The ruby romaine was a big hit five happy bunnies

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Thanks guys! Frozen fruit is a great idea Ellie, although I don’t know if sorbets need to be churned… and I do want to put the new ice cream maker to good use. I’ll have to look up some recipes.

Great that the food has made such a difference to Breintje!

Daisy
    Participant

@Ellie, indeed I like dog and cat toys better for intelligence games! I’m often wondering if so much downright bad stuff is sold for cats and dogs as well. The most basic things are bad 99.99% of the time in pet stores: Food and cage and most treats. I don’t understand why this is still a thing.

Does he still eat his hay well now that he is more full?

@Blacksmith, yes that’s probably exactly how it went! XD Add a mom going from sleepy to full panic mode and going “NO SHOO GO BAC-OHNONO DON’T GO THERE WHY ARE YOU THERE OH MY GO-NOO NOT THE STAIRS SOMEONE HALP D:”. :’)

They’ve escaped again. Sis be like “I opened the door and they just hopped out!” Well no $*&! Sherlock.

Posted By Sirius&Luna on 6/27/2018 5:47 AM

I’ll have to look up some recipes.

A difficult task, but I’m sure you’ll pull through  Decisions decisions… 

Wish I could set up my ice cream maker again, but my freezer is too full all the time to put that massive cooling block in. My first try would be tiramisu ice cream! Albert Heijn supermarkets don’t sell it anymore For that matter: they’ve been changing so much over the last year. There are over 15 products which were staples of my diet which I can’t get anymore… I love tiramisu both in ice cream and as a regular dessert. They sold GF varieties of both, which were a real treat. I was very sad to see it going out of stock.

Having a very limited medical diet means that you get super attached to the things you CAN eat, and if something is finally available that’s super special. Many coeliacs agree: Genius bread&bakery products had been introduced here, and many coeliacs liked it a lot. Then AH decided to push their own GF product line and threw out all Genius. There was a massive Facebook campaign and stuff is back in shops now

Posted By Daisy on 6/27/2018 4:41 PM 
    @Ellie, indeed I like dog and cat toys better for intelligence games! I’m often wondering if so much downright bad stuff is sold for cats and dogs as well. The most basic things are bad 99.99% of the time in pet stores: Food and cage and most treats. I don’t understand why this is still a thing. 

Does he still eat his hay well now that he is more full? 

@Blacksmith, yes that’s probably exactly how it went! XD Add a mom going from sleepy to full panic mode and going “NO SHOO GO BAC-OHNONO DON’T GO THERE WHY ARE YOU THERE OH MY GO-NOO NOT THE STAIRS SOMEONE HALP D:”. :’) 

They’ve escaped again. Sis be like “I opened the door and they just hopped out!” Well no $*&! Sherlock. 

Yes, there’s many bad stuff for them too. I once saw a calorie counter poster at the vet’s showing how many calories were in doggie treats. Especially some kinds of chewing bones. Yikes, no wonder many dogs are so tubby. 

I found that the quality of the products depends on the pet shop. Our local pet shop is horrible: it sells many wrong products, rabbit cages which are way too small, and they give bad advice too. The pet shop in the shopping centre in the west part of town is a lot better. The owner has his own cat who walks around there to greet the visitors. A friend of mine often goes there for their special brand of cat food. It contains more actual meat instead of ahem “byproducts” . They had 10 flavours of herbal hay to choose from, and several types of grain-free or low-calorie rabbit food ^_^ The owner even sounded quite knowledgeable about bunnies. It’s also accessible to mobility scooters, while the other shop was staffed by a very sour lady who let out a big sigh whenever she had to get me something because the place was just too crammed. 

Better products, accessible with proper wide aisles and no crap stored in corner shelves, we’ve definitely found a new address to shop! Honestly, those surprise baskets in corners are the bane of my shopping experience. You’ll only notice there is one while you’re launching it through the shop. Mobility scooters are low and wide, and once you’re turning a corner you can’t change course halfway. You’ll end up stuck in an odd angle having to do a 21 point turn. And then the staff looks at you as if you were speeding with your eyes closed…

Breintje still eats some hay, but refuses to eat from his hay rack. Too much trouble to reach through the bars of the cage… I’ve made him a play-box with a wire ball in it filled with dandelion hay. That was thoroughly dragged around and chewed yesterday night. I think I’ll hang the wire ball in his cage tonight. Please don’t go boxing, please don’t go boxing…

Hahaha, i love the escapee stories about your bunnies. They sound so fun and inquisitive 

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.