Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums THE LOUNGE June Chat

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Thank you all, it is frustrating but hopefully something good will come of it in the end. It’s just so frustrating to be totally at the mercy of a landlord when you rent. You really have no rights at all.

I can’t contribute anything to video games unfortunately, but has anyone played the new Harry Potter mobile game?

Deleted User
    Participant

S&L: Is that any good? I keep wanting to play it cause obviously I’m a huge Potterhead, but I’m so skeptical. I’ve heard mixed reviews. Hope you can find a place that’ll accept your little fur clan <3

I’ve always been big into video games, and luckily I married another junkie we’re pretty old school though. We’re mainly into our SNES, N64, and Playstation. Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Tomb Raider, Mario, all games I’m slightly embarrassed to say we still love to play at 26 years old xD I bought John the Switch for his birthday so now we’ve been tackling Hyrule Warriors together.

Gordo and Janice
    Participant

@A&B – Lol….Donkey Kong and Mario…now there’s a throwback! Let me show you how old I am. We would stare at the screen with two short lines deflecting a little white dot back and forth.

Anyone remember Pong on Atari? Then came the ultimate video game upgrades! Space Invaders and Asteroids. “bom…BOM…bom…BOM…bom…BOM” Oh the days of youth and (somewhat) innocence.

@Ellie – Sorry for the loss of your Uncle. And I understand being the black sheep of the family regarding religion. My dad is a preacher. I am the odd one out on all of that. The entire family all love and accept me however, but there is always something in the air. You can sense it, feel it. The poor lost soul! (me). But we are who we are and it is what it is. Sorry they treat you so.

@Daisy – The only escape that Icey ever pulled was a doozy. She had just been spayed so we set her up in our master bathroom in our first tiny house. (So it was a tiny master bath) We were trying to limit her movement and prevent squeezing into nooks and crannies in our bedroom. Like the tight spots behind our dresser and desk that she liked to literally squeeze in. Makes me laugh thinking about her squeezing. It was so tight she could only get between them and the wall by digging in her claws in the carpet and using only her tippy toes. You could watch her from the other side and she had such a weird look on her face because her cheeks would be pulled back tight. She would get in there and stop and look up at you with her little smashed face like, “What?”. Looked so uncomfortable to me but she would just hang out for a bit then squeeze back out. Did it all the time. (And once again I digress…)

Anyhow at bedtime we didn’t want to shut the door because we wanted to be able to hear and look in to check on her periodically. Well she was still young and smallish and she was on a smooth floor with no traction to get a good jump. So I blocked the doorway to a degree that I thought was impossible for her to get out. It was barricaded solid and I mean solid to above the doorknob (what is that, maybe 4 feet) When we woke up. She had gotten out! We were freaked out because we thought surely in the breakout she would have had to exert herself to a degree of tearing open the sutures. But she was fine. Just sleeping with us in the bedroom. I swear to you I studied the crime scene like a forensics expert for an hour trying to figure out how she did it. Squeeze or wedge through somewhere? Bottom? Jump and get hung up on the top and scramble over? It was rock solid. To this day, no idea. It never made sense. It’s like she teleported. I wish we would have put a camera up so I could understand. I can only imagine it would have showed a white blur flying over the top through the air 5 feet high. Which seems totally impossible. That was the first of so many times getting the best of me. It was like she was mind gaming me from the start. Always so clever.

@S&L – Stresses me out just reading about your situation. I soooo hate being out of control and I don’t like change on top of that. Makes my stomach churn a little thinking about it all. And you’ve got the 3 Musketeers to worry about. (Well you may not be worried about them, but my personality dictates worry.) Here’s a solution, buy yourselves a mansion and live happily ever after! If only, right? Like you said hopefully something good comes of it in the end.

Deleted User
    Participant

G&J: I absolutely love Atari! I bought one when I was 15, and it’s one of my favorites. My absolute favorite games are Warlords and Pitfall. Of course Pacman is a classic I honestly should’ve been born in the 70’s so I could’ve lived in the 80’s. All my favorite TV, movies, and music are from that decade. Oh to see Def Leppard in their prime instead of 2007 and 2018.

Anyone remember Pong on Atari? Then came the ultimate video game upgrades! Space Invaders and Asteroids. “bom…BOM…bom…BOM…bom…BOM” Oh the days of youth and (somewhat) innocence.

Yes!!!! Doo…….doo…….doo………doo…….(down the screen) ..doo…doo…doo…doo..(down again)..doooo.doo.(down)….doo.doo.doo.(down…and). doodoodoodoodooo CRUSHED !!!!!

Bam

G&J, a true Houdini bun! They say to be rabbit proof a fence or gate needs to be 5 feet. So maybe she did jump over it? Kurotta’s Kurotta did sth of the sort on Instagram. Although not 5 feet ?

S&L, that really sounds very stressful. 

kurottabun
    Participant

LOL @bam!

We’d always kept Kurotta downstairs in our spare room, with a single level of fences that limited his area to half the room only. The other half was used to store his stuff.

That video was taken when he was brought upstairs due to an ant problem downstairs. We don’t have a spare room upstairs so we fenced off an area in the common room, thinking it was totally fine (and it was, for a long time) since he never jumped over the fence downstairs. We were wrong.

Since then we’ve moved him back downstairs and took away the fences, so he gets to roam the whole room now. Obviously that’s not enough too because he just dashes out whenever we open the door LOL. Sometimes we leave the door slightly ajar (but not enough for him to get out), and we see him sticking his little snoot out!

We also bought more fences anyway though as they’ll still be useful when we visit my parents’ place (he can’t roam as freely there). It’s already been tested that he CANNOT jump over a doubled up fencing – we saw him try it recently. He jumped and just fell on his side/back, the poor thing.

For those who are interested, here’s the video bam was talking about: https://www.instagram.com/p/BidOpcoFmey/?taken-by=kurotta.bun

Gordo and Janice
    Participant

@kurottabun – Lol…I had to watch it about 12 to 15 times in a row. He was giving it his all. Those back feet got him up there but then they were useless. His head and shoulders and elbows and whole body really had to work and jerk and wiggle to get the center of gravity of his body over the edge enough to make it to freedom. I mean he really was giving it his all. Cracks me up. I going to go watch it some more now.

Daisy
    Participant

@Ellie, yes it’s very funny until it’s your own bunnies going on a rampage through the house, ha! But honestly my first reaction is OH NO YOU DIDN’T YOU LITTLE.. but Muffin often looks so confused herself (why is Monster IN THERE and why am I HERE? WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS THAT? WHAT IS LIFE?) I always start laughing while dragging her back to the pen. xD And then move on to sobbing about my poor plant or whatever got ruined (pillows, cables…).

I’ll look into Elder Scrolls and Fallout then! I now dabble into Portal 2 every now and then, it was 2 bucks on Steam so I couldn’t go wrong with it. It has a story line that you can play alone and a multiplayer mode, which is hilarious to do with a friend. Just make sure your friend is not a thousand times smarter than you else you will be dragged along as the friend solves all the puzzles before you figure them out, which is kind of lame.

@Gordo and Janice: I know right! I was convinced Muffin had teleport abilities until I saw her jumping over the pen. She’s 4 years old, was overweight at that time and too pussy to even walk on wooden floors so I couldn’t wrap my head around that she would be jumping it. But she does, weird little thing. Ha both my buns also really like getting stuck in way-too-tight spaces. I will just stare at them being uncomfortable and wriggling around in there for a bit and then come to rescue them, but I’m always met with a “Leave me alone human! I’m busy with important matters can you not see?!”

I’m technically too young for Pong, but my cousin had a computer (a black background with green letters one) that ran it so I did play it. My dad had a Windows 3.1 PC which he ended up giving to me so I also played PacMan, Wolfenstein (dear lord that was nerve wracking as a 6 year old haha) and all those other classics. When I developed a more proper brain I liked playing Jazz Jack Rabbit 2 and SSX Tricky 2 and 3 – both which I found in the Videogame museum again last year to play. I felt so old! And then proceeded to beat all high scores on it, ha – still had the fingerspitzengefühl. :’)

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

A&B, the Harry Potter game is quite fun for a bit, but it’s not got the same addictive qualities as say, Pokemon go. I don’t think it’s something I’ll still be playing in a months time!

Thanks for all the housing support guys! G&J, I also HATE change and HATE packing more than anything. So moving really is my idea of a nightmare, but so be it. I think we’ve decided to move a bit further out of central London, so we can pay the same rent but have a spare bedroom…. which means BUNNY ROOM. So I’m very excited about the prospect of a bunny room, which is consoling me somewhat.

Bladesmith
    Participant

@ Ellie (and the rest of the gamers, I’m overjoyed to see so many!), I LOVE my Fallout games. And Open world RPG /FPS. When I heard about Fallout 76, i giggled. Me giggling isn’t a pretty sight. Now, I can’t afford something like F76, the OR the rig I’d need to play it, but I DID just discover Neverwinter Online, and as an old school hardcore D&D fan (Don’t ask me what edition they’re up to, I gave up keeping up at the 4.5 Edition) and I’m tickled silly playing that!

(Rumor has it my daughters are conspiring to get me a XboxOne for Fathers day, to replace my antiquated Xbox 360. If that happens, I’m making a beeline to my Gamestop to snag Fallout 4. I might be seen for months after getting it.)

Oh, and in general news, I’m moving back to Tennessee next year. Florida is too hot, too expensive, and in general, too damn crazy. My ex wife doesn’t know this, and the poop will well and truly hit the fan when she finds out. Not looking forward to this, but looking forward to getting up there.

I think we’ve decided to move a bit further out of central London

LOL. Like Norfolk or Wales ??!!

Bam

Ellie, belated happy birthday wishes!!! I hope you had an, under the circumstances, good birthday ???

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 6/13/2018 1:20 PM

LOL. Like Norfolk or Wales ??!!

more like Walthamstow… Which might as well be Wales 

Thank you bam! My home-baked vlaai turned out very well and it was nice that my dad visited us. My dad is a very strict judge because vlaai comes from his native Limburg. My grandmother often won contests with her vlaaien, so I have some expectations to live up to
    He tells me that my vlaaien always taste very authentic because I give the fruit a lot of time to ripen. It doesn’t go in unless I can smell its sweetness from the other side of the room. The secret is to capture the sweetness and lovely smells from the fruit, sugar should stay on the background. The authentic Limburgish vlaai isn’t that sweet at all, and vlaaien as sold in shops throughout the country are a perverse over-sweetened insult to Limburgish cuisine. 

A good vlaai is supposed to taste a bit tart with the fruit being the star of the show. The crust and lid of the vlaai are also low in sugar, they’re quite salty in comparison to other pastries, almost like a bread dough. You top it with sweetened whipped cream right before eating it. This makes for an interesting play of flavours between salty, tart, fruity and creamy.

Bas gave me the best gift ever: two study books for aspiring costume designers. It’s very technical about the shaping of clothing, measuring people and how to handle “faults” in figure and posture. Bas really did his best to find books by an international expert, and he managed to get books in actual metric units! Yes, very well done sweety!

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Just had to look up what vlaai was…. it looks delicious. Is there a certain type of fruit to traditionally use, or can you use anything you like?

Traditional vlaaien are often made with a pure fruit filling: apricots, cherries, berries or plums are the most popular. These are the vlaaien with the traditional diamond grid caps, baked in a large and flat vlaai pan. The fruit filling is heated and thickened with potato starch, and chilled to set. The raw dough in the pan is filled with the fruit filling, capped with the diamond grid, given an egg yoke wash, sprinkled with pearl sugar and baked as a whole. This is the most difficult type of vlaai to make. 

I’m so happy that I have a diamond grid mold for the cap! That’s so hard to make if you have to cut it out with a knife. Getting the dough out of the mold is always the critical moment in the process, if it falls off the whole diamond pattern is skewed and your vlaai will look like it has fallen. Bas and Breintje usually watch me do this last step in terror with their fingers/paws in their ears. Explosive swearing and angel feathers raining down means that the grid hasn’t come out properly

Another traditional vlaai is rijstevlaai which is filled with a creamy vanilla rice pudding. This is also a baked vlaai: you fill the raw dough with a cooked rice pudding but you don’t cap it. After cooling the rijstevlaai is topped with cream and often chocolate shavings, like a cheesecake. 

Crumble vlaai is also a traditional one: filled with butter/sugar/flour crumbles. Sometimes it’s accompanied by apple pieces too.

There are also many modern variations of custard vlaaien. These vlaaien consist of dough filled with custard which is baked. Many kinds of toppings can be added after the vlaai has cooled down: from jellied fruit to cheesecake-like toppings. This goes more towards a cake than an actual vlaai, so purists aren’t always eager for it. Vlaaien like these also don’t carry the name “Limburgish vlaai”, because that’s reserved for vlaaien which are baked as a whole. A modern variety summer favourite is jellied strawberries: strawberries cooked with potato starch and sugar. This will form a nice shiny layer which you can decorate with tufts of cream.

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Ok, that sounds amazing. Especially the modern custard ones and the ones filled with crumble. Do you eat them cold?

Yes, you eat the traditional vlaaien (fruit/rijst/crumble) at room temperature with cold whipped cream. Modern varieties are served chilled.
    Traditionally you can see if a vlaai is baked well if you can eat it by hand. It should be nice and thin but firm, like a good pizza slice. It’s also traditional to cut the vlaai into 10 broad slices. Many varieties are served at an event, and it’s sort of expected to try at least 2 varieties, to not offend your host(ess)

jerseygirl

Happy Birthday Ellie!

Honestly, i could read your posts about food all day. Yummm!

Bas and Breintje usually watch me do this last step in terror with their fingers/paws in their ears. Explosive swearing and angel feathers raining down means that the grid hasn’t come out properly

Thank you ^_^ And sorry for the costant editing in between, I don’t really have a clear head right now. My head is swimming with pain meds and the after-effects of the physio treatment. Time for a quick afternoon kip!

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

Thanks for the details. I have such a good vision of it now… I love that you have to try at least two so as not to offend!

And happy birthday of course I hope you eat all the vlaaien you can.

Gordo and Janice
    Participant

Yes, Happy (belated?) Birthday, Ellie from the Nethers!

jerseygirl

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/14/2018 9:01 AM
    Thank you ^_^ And sorry for the costant editing in between, I don’t really have a clear head right now. My head is swimming with pain meds and the after-effects of the physio treatment. Time for a quick afternoon kip!

Ha, I didn’t notice. I’m a chronic editor of my own posts so, I get it. Sorry about the headache :/

Actually it’s finally going away after 3 days. My neck was cramped up completely. Probably caught a draft of cold air, blasted AC’s…

I rarely have headaches, only when my neck/upper shoulders are totally cramped up. There’s nothing which will help, except heavy muscle relaxants and a physio applying some good old violence. The muscle relaxants have … interesting.. side effects when they’re at their strongest. Bas always laughs his butt off when I’m waddling about the house as stoned as a shrimp. I get super drowsy, forgetful and I misplace items at the weirdest places. Ever found your remote in the fridge or your keys in your sewing basket? Seemed very logical to me at that time :p

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.